Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Arrow GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Does anyone know if Alcohol in the lounge is complimentary?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 6, 2008 at 3:26 pm Reason: Pre 2008 reports are at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896386
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Does anyone know if Alcohol in the lounge is complimentary?
Not it's not. They do, however, have complimentary small soda and water bottles at the bar.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Evening cocktails, 5:30 - 7:30pm, no? And after dinner drinks with the dessert presentation?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not it's not. They do, however, have complimentary small soda and water bottles at the bar.
Thanks Blissowrld...Also, did I see you had a 2 bedroom suite at the Diplomat? WOW...would love to score that sucker when we head down...any advice on how to snag it?
I must say, I never noticed you had a photo journal, or that there was a photo thread on Flyertalk...after seeing your pics over there, I think I spent an hour or so looking through your flickr.com pics...very impressive...what kind of camera did you use to take the Diplomat pics?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
Evening cocktails, 5:30 - 7:30pm, no? And after dinner drinks with the dessert presentation?
Yes, but it's an honor bar. They charge you. I think I paid $7 for a corona light.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks Blissowrld...Also, did I see you had a 2 bedroom suite at the Diplomat? WOW...would love to score that sucker when we head down...any advice on how to snag it?
I must say, I never noticed you had a photo journal, or that there was a photo thread on Flyertalk...after seeing your pics over there, I think I spent an hour or so looking through your flickr.com pics...very impressive...what kind of camera did you use to take the Diplomat pics?
Thanks! Well, ask for one when you check in. It never hurts to ask, right?

I used a canon point and shoot. (I forget the exact numbers, I don't have it with me...)
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yes, but it's an honor bar. They charge you. I think I paid $7 for a corona light.
Hmmph. I've been there many, many times. But I rarely make it back to the hotel in time for dessert reception, and the pre-dinner snacks don't impress me that much, I guess I just make it up to the club in the mornings (which is really quite lovely).
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:49 pm
DH

Hi,

Since I have award reservation at Diplomat in late March.

First, does Diplomat has Westin Rubber Duck?

Secondly, who should contact regarding the upgrade request? I have club level reservation and I'm hoping to be ocean view room. It has been well documented that Diplomat treats Platinum well but I'm only Gold.

Thanks,
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, Platinums don't need to contact anyone for upgrades. Platinums really do get upgraded when available, which is most of the time.

And Golds seem to get ocean views here, too.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:01 pm

Stayed here a few days ago, for the days of our stay this was what was listed as available on the SPG web site:

a. the least expensive room available to the general public was $335/nite
b. the same room was available for 16K *points/nite (bad deal in my view)
c. the Cash & Points rate was 4800 pts plus $90/nite (MUCH better deal)

Rather than going the Cash & Points route we elected to instead book a $160/nite govt rate, we were upgraded to a 775 sq ft Ocean View Corner Suite on the 29th Floor which we were thrilled with. The SPG web site listed this room listed for $910/nite, that rate included a "indulge Pkg-Bkfast For 2 Daily In Room Or Restaurant, Sparkling Wine And Strawberries" which we didn't get but we did receive access to the Executive Club.

In all we were quite happy with our room and the politeness of the hotel staff, that being said we were stunned by what I view as absolutely insane prices for food and drink, ranging from the $17 club sandwich at the pool to them charging $140 for a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream to be delivered to your room (approx cost at a liquor store would be maybe $28).
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:36 am
DH

Originally Posted by yanxfann
In this case I was indeed asked for my govt ID upon check-in. Also, in the past two years I have just under 400 hotel nights under my belt (300 at *wood properties) and all the stays have been at the government rate, in my case I'd say that I'm asked for my govt ID almost every time.
Are you able to use the govt rate for personal travel?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by DH
Are you able to use the govt rate for personal travel?
Absolutely.

I've got a question: In our room was posted something to the following effect, "Bringing your own personal alcoholic beverages onto the hotel premises is prohibited." This is the first time I've ever seen something like this (although I must admit most of my hotel stays are at lower-end hotels like 4Points and maybe they don't care), is this a common practice? Is this so they can continue to charge $8 for cans of beer and $140 for bottles of Bailey's?

Last edited by yanxfann; Feb 5, 2008 at 8:13 am
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What folks are probably missing with regard to this particular property is that calls aside they tend to upgrade Platinums shortly after booking when it appears that suites will be available (and they usually are).

So calls are unnecessary, but the point about asking for something outside of the T&C seems beside the point as well.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Thumbs up Consistent platinum upgrade and recognition

If every Starwood hotel would feature the consistency offered by the Westin Diplomat in status recognition and service quality, then there would not be any competition for SPG. Winning a Freddie award would be piece of cake.

SPG should give this hotel the highest recognition.

As a SPG Plat, when traveling with my family, I cannot pick any other hotel in the area.

All of our stays were consistently perfect.

Just two little recommendations: The excelent (and my preferred among *wood) lounge could use a fridge for the soft drinks and the floating devices offered by the pool side could be included in the resort fee or at least cheaper than $15/day.

Thank you for your excelent service.

LR
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Lifetime Plat/Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PresCircle
Just stayed here and DID NOT get a suite as a Platinum member. It was still a great room facing the ocean (Grand Deluxe was the official name), upgraded from just a standard "Deluxe", but after reading all these comments, I really did expect a suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.