Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Westin Diplomat, Hollywood, FL [Master Thread] : Left Starwood 30 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by gleff
First, understand the environment. IIRC it's on the 33rd floor, there's both indoor and outdoor seating, one side looking out at the ocean and the other side looking out at the intracoastal waterway.

There's the standard continental breakfast but it's quite bountiful with lox, and a good variety of fruits, breads, etc. Quite substantive.

There's late afternoon / pre-dinner h'or deourves and cocktails.

And there's an after dinner lovely dessert presentation.

Nice TVs, some games, newspapers, in a lovely and comfortable environment with soft drinks all day along with a dedicated lounge staff.
Is there a way for a preferred level member to access the executive lounge? Using points perhaps?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Yes, IIRC 2500 points/night
Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:59 pm

I just called to book 3 nights with Cash + points (may 9th to 12th) but couldn't get an oceanview ("grand deluxe") room that way :-( Had to get a regular room with "resort view". Anyone knows how I can get the grand deluxe? Apparently it doesn't show up as a possible upgrade in the rep's system.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Benjh
I just called to book 3 nights with Cash + points (may 9th to 12th) but couldn't get an oceanview ("grand deluxe") room that way :-( Had to get a regular room with "resort view". Anyone knows how I can get the grand deluxe? Apparently it doesn't show up as a possible upgrade in the rep's system.
You can't book an advance upgrade through SPG with additional points when booking cash + points.

You can spend additional points on a regular award, or request that the hotel redeem an instant award for the upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:29 am

do you think if I book a grand deluxe the first night with points only, then regular with cash+points for the 2 following night, the hotel will more likely offer to upgrade me (as in, stay in the same room) for the 2 following night?

Has anyone tried this before, here or somewhere else?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Benjh
do you think if I book a grand deluxe the first night with points only, then regular with cash+points for the 2 following night, the hotel will more likely offer to upgrade me (as in, stay in the same room) for the 2 following night?

Has anyone tried this before, here or somewhere else?
i think this is a clear case of YMMV, if i've ever heard it. i think it will solely depend on availability. if they need the better room, i don't think they'll have any qualms about moving you.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone suggest a decent lunch place, preferably on the water, near the Diplomat? Looking for something off the resort, within a few miles, lunch is for 8 people and the place would ideally take reservations. Appreciate any input. ^
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gleff
Can anyone suggest a decent lunch place, preferably on the water, near the Diplomat? Looking for something off the resort, within a few miles, lunch is for 8 people and the place would ideally take reservations. Appreciate any input. ^
Found a great place on the Waterways 5 minutes drive from the Diplomat. Great food and atmosphere at reasonable prices. Swiss/Germans style food, a lot of good seafood as well.

Peppermill on the Waterway

Address: 3595 Northeast 207th Street
Aventura, FL 33180
Located In: Waterways Shoppes
Telephone: 305-466-2016
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
In the opinion of my fellow FT'ers, is this hotel worth the trip north from MIA for one-night pre-cruise. I will be sailing from Miami. I want to go Starwood for this trip, but the choices are few close to Miami, and I gather the 4 points is not worth it for even one night?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:59 am

Try Billy's Stone Crab, about a mile north of the resort:
http://www.stone-crabs.com/

They have a few outdoor tables on the intercostal, and an indoor dining upstairs with intercostal views.
Old May 2, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, United Premierl Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Its Not Like It Used to Be

I have stayed at the Wesin Diplomat 30 times in the past 6 years.

This being said: The Westin Diplomat has the best Platinum Recognition in the chain, However, things have changed...

Upgrades: Used to be done a few days after booking, now are done the day before checking. (Not that i have any problems getting a suite, but its nice to know in advance)

Club lounge: Breakfast has not changed. Water went form Fiji to Nestle. Evening hors devoures are minimal. They used to be MUCH better. Prices for drinks used to good. $3-5. Now they are at $5-$8. I can go to the lobby bar for $10.

Pool Service: incredibly inconsistent. Sometimes you are greeted by an attendant who sets up a chair, gives you 3 towels and a glass of water. Other times you get in line, show your room card and get one towel.

The one thing that has not changed is the excellent treatment that you receive from the staff. They approach 5*.
Old May 3, 2008, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jottoson
Upgrades: Used to be done a few days after booking, now are done the day before checking.
I have noticed this as well. Fair enough, and I can't really expect different, but still
Old May 3, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Breakfast has changed. Although the smoked salmon is still there (yea!), the espresso machine in the back has been removed. Espresso is my numero uno breakfast choice.j

Friday evening hors' d'ouerves were more than minimal, chicken salad and crab salad. Not the beast in the world, but better than kibble and bits.

Only one type of cheese.
Old May 14, 2008, 3:25 pm

Great Diplomat Stay

Trip report - I was at the westin diplomat last week end: May 9th to May 12th.

First of all I want to say how impressed I was with the hotel and the level of service I received over those 3 nights. I'm not plat or gold so I'm happy to report us lowly preffered guest level members of starwood can enjoy this amazing property just as much.

As I had reported before in this thread, I wanted to stay in the oceanview room for all 3 nights but could not afford to shell out the cash to do so and you can't book it with points. So I paid the fare for the first night, then booked on points a balcony with resort view for the following two nights (7.5k points a night). I requested an upgrade to oceanview for the last two nights in the special comments of my reservation. This was really the most important thing for my stay, both my gf and I were really counting on it.

Well they didn't have to do it but I'm happy to report it worked out like a charm. We were greeted at check-in by a trainee who let us know we'd keep our oceanview room for the length of the stay. And what a room. the balcony and its view is spectacular, the heavenly bed as great as advertised, and the bathroom fantastic, both in design and practicality. Truly fantastic rooms.

The pool is a delight, and we never had to fight for a spot around it. The beach is fantastic, the service there great. I only regret we had to pay $10 for a lounge and $15 for an umbrella. That's an extra $35 per day to properly enjoy the beach (not the case around the pool). I'd expect such cost to be included in the price of the room, but oh well. On monday, the wind was so strong the manager forbid the use of umbrellas. When we decided to go to the pool for the day because of this, we were immediately refunded our $35.

It's been mentioned the hotel nickel-and-dimes you, but I didn't find it so much more expensive than other comparable hotels. The $7 water-bottle is an exception, sodas were $3.5. The mini-bar is fantastically furnished.

I was a little disappointed by the restaurants. Aizia was very expensive, and I was expecting a much fancier place. Rather boring. The cafe is nice, but with a $25 deluxe buffet for breakfast, expensive. I regret there isn't a regular-continental brkfst offer (without the egg and waffle-to-order station for example). Such an offer is available only as in-room dining, and for $15 IIRC.

On our first morning, a saturday, we were woken up at 8am by construction noise close to our room. Although it wasn't unbearably loud, it was annoying enough that we were unable to fall back asleep. I called the front-desk, got an apology and an offer to switch room to a quieter side of the hotel. However I was told no other rooms were available until 1pm that day. I took them up on the offer and moved rooms that afternoon (same kind of room). I was so happy with everything else that I didn't complain more. I expected some kind of gesture to compensate for my trouble (and only alluded to it briefly) but didn't receive a thing. No big deal, but I wonder what other FTers think the hotel should have done. Also the front desk obviously knew about the construction in advance ( I was told it had been going on all-week and would resume on the following monday), it should have been noted on the hotel's page on spg.com.

Other than this, there was once small event, but I will write about it in another thread. It was such a one-time-out-of-the-ordinary thing I don't want to discuss it here and tarnish the Westin Diplomat otherwise fantastic and rightly-deserved reputation.

I also want to note it never took more than 5 minutes to get my car from the valet (a far cry from the 20-minute complaint I heard somewhere else).

I will return to the diplomat in a heartbeat, it is a fantastic alternative to South Beach's hotels and its unbearable atmosphere (and only a 20-minute drive if no traffic, I have done it several time). It's also a less than 10-minute drive from Aventura mall, its restaurants and 24-room AMC theatre.

Hope this non-status report will be helpful to some folks out there. Pics to come.

Last edited by Benjh; May 14, 2008 at 3:30 pm Reason: I can't spell
Old May 14, 2008, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Thank you for the report!

Please note that when you are staying at a 400USD+ luxury property, you should expect a lot.

My beef with this hotel:

No Heavenly beds in most suites, but they will be in place by this fall.
Valet, it was definitely more than 5 minutes, more like 20. It might have been a busy day with a big conference when we were there...
Slow and not up to par housekeeping. A small thing I would never complain about if this wasn't a 400USD+ property.
Turndown service only 1 out of 4 nights and it was half a**.

Just little things. And like I said, I will go back in September

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.