Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Moments purchase went awry

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't see it that way. When they made the agreement, they agreed to "figure something out." To me, that implies some sort of cooperative effort. Then when the time came, SPG unilaterally took the position that OP had to purchase points immediately. Sounds to me as though the only one doing any figuring was SPG.

Agreed.

Disagree. Nothing wrong with asking. SPG's response might have been more along the lines of, "You're joking, right?" But, no. SPG agreed. What's wrong with asking? The worst that can happen is that they will say No. Anyone here ever ask a Concierge or Ambassador to get a hotel to cancel and refund a nonrefundable rate when travel plans changed unexpectedly? That's inconsistent with the rules, too.
One of the few people in the thread who got it right... This is exactly what happened. "Figuring something out" or "figuring out a payment plan" certainly does not mean "this or nothing" to me, especially when they knew the price of these tickets would go up much closer to the event and I'd be in a huge disadvantage now vs. a few months ago. Them not working with me on "figuring it out" and not willing to move forced me to involve lawyers.

We're talking about tickets worth several thousands of dollars. I want to see others who'd just "let it slip"...

By the way, I agree Starwood shouldn't have offered it in the first place, specially when they knew they couldn't deliver. I'm sure many here have requests for special treatments now or then. What's the point of having an ambassador otherwise? As someone said, worst thing that'll happen is that they say no.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't see it that way. When they made the agreement, they agreed to "figure something out." To me, that implies some sort of cooperative effort. Then when the time came, SPG unilaterally took the position that OP had to purchase points immediately. Sounds to me as though the only one doing any figuring was SPG.
Very early on they said they would not be able to do this.

At the pressure of his lawyers, they said we will figure something out. Apparently they are not very good lawyers because "figure something out" doesn't seem like something that should satisfy lawyers.

They did figure something out. They offered to relax additional policies in order to enable him to make a purchase of points so he could get the tickets.

Funny thing is that instead of the initial legal interaction, he could have bought the tickets, as he says, much cheaper at that time.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:43 pm

As soon as anyone brings their lawyer in you can forget about this type of flexibility ever being shown by SPG again. Everyone makes mistakes - are you perfect? You may be under 30 and a plat 100 but the behavior exhibited is not something that I would want my 30 year old son (or any up and coming exec) to display and definitely not publicize (remember that your boss, your boss's boss and almost every other manager that you will encounter in your work career may put the dots together and then the career is done).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:25 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
...but the behavior exhibited is not something that I would want my 30 year old son (or any up and coming exec) to display and definitely not publicize ....
^^^
Old Apr 9, 2016, 11:46 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Amen to that Cruiser.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
You may be under 30 and a plat 100 but the behavior exhibited is not something that I would want my 30 year old son (or any up and coming exec) to display and definitely not publicize (remember that your boss, your boss's boss and almost every other manager that you will encounter in your work career may put the dots together and then the career is done).
^ ^ ^
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:09 am

A day later, I received this response:
"I have spoken to the team; based on your membership level and loyalty to SPG, we would like to give you the opportunity to purchase one of our packages prior to them being launched on the site. Typically we have suite packages and box seat packages. I have not confirmed the pricing on each but I would imagine it would be similar to last year. The box seats went between 7,000 and 10,000 Starpoints and the Suite Packages between 12,000 and 25,000 Starpoints."
I read this as what it said. The staff have no pricing. But based on last year..... Last year pricing is not a commitment to the price they will eventually offer you. I would stop any further legal proceedings if I were you. If anything, the only thing they truly committed to was a package with no pricing and no payment terms. Did you at any point mentioned that the payment plan you had in your mind was instalments on future earned Starpoints. SPG and your interpretation of payment plan is obviously not in sync. I find it unlikely that any loyalty program will allow redemptions against future earnings in installments. Even cash installments would be a hard sell.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
As soon as anyone brings their lawyer in you can forget about this type of flexibility ever being shown by SPG again. Everyone makes mistakes - are you perfect? You may be under 30 and a plat 100 but the behavior exhibited is not something that I would want my 30 year old son (or any up and coming exec) to display and definitely not publicize (remember that your boss, your boss's boss and almost every other manager that you will encounter in your work career may put the dots together and then the career is done).
Spot on here. By OPs own admission SPG has several times in the past done side-deals with you and come through for you. Yet, one time they have an issue, you have a hissy fit, threaten legal action, and post it publicly on the internet. All you end up doing is ruining it for everybody else.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Actually, after further thought, I have a little more sympathy for OP. If he is really under 30 then SPG should have taken into account that he is relatively lacking in business experience and street smarts and they should have been more cautious in dealing with this unique transaction.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Seems to me all the OP has done it pretty much ruin things for themselves and others down the line!

Did SPG get things spot on, no they didn't but at the end of the day the OP was asking them for a favour and they tried to help but it was complicated and what was offered did not appeal to the OP! Essentially now the OP will never get another favour from SPG and probably have his card marked for the rest of his time dealing with anyone within Starwood and certainly they will never consider even slightly bending the rules for him and who knows if this will also go over to Marriot.

As for the whole legal proceedings, really this is an immature way to try and get something you have shaky ground on actually deserving. Played a different way you could have actually got some good will from Starwood that could have been very handy in the future.

I find it much better to try and work with people and sometimes accept favours asked for don't work out but you can be in a good position going forward next time you need something rather than now being a 30 year old who has seriously damaged that lifetime platinum status for the rest if your life!(or until its revoked by Marriott but that's a different thread lol)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
Actually, after further thought, I have a little more sympathy for OP. If he is really under 30 then SPG should have taken into account that he is relatively lacking in business experience and street smarts and they should have been more cautious in dealing with this unique transaction.
Sympathy for OP just because he's under 30? From his comments and the fact that he has a legal team at his disposal, he will probably not appreciate you saying he lacks business experience and street smarts. SPG no doubt should have better policies and is partly responsible for the mess but OP did as much damage himself. Reminds me of the other case with SPG that went to court. It will be a waste of everyone's resources. Marriott probably checking off 1 thing they will never keep from SPG.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
^^^
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
As an admittedly older/wiser SPG enthusiast - because this was an opportunity not offered to everyone, until they gave you an exact price in points/$$ and you authorized deduction/payment, there was no deal. Move on young one.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:40 am

prima facie 'over-entitled'

A prima facie example and the very definition of 'over-entitled.'
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Sounds like some honest mistakes were made, and there were certainly things that both sides could have done better. I am surprised that Starwood was not able to come to some sort of agreement with the OP, who is certainly the kind of customer they look to retain.

Many times, the overall "tone" you use to file a claim is even more important than the "hard evidence" you have to back up your case.

I will however not go as far as others in bashing the OP just because he lacks gray hair..... and on the issue of "tone", some of the criticism here shows that many of those dishing it out would love to be in the OP's shoes....

Best wishes to the OP and SPG - and hope both parties can come to a reasonable agreement to put this away !! ^

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Apr 12, 2016 at 7:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.