Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:28 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
People have too much freetime
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP will find lots of blather about prospective SPG:Marriott Rewards point conversions forward from here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post25994485
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jimrpa

(not consecutive years so people who have an off year aren't penalized as they are under SPG).
Where did you get the idea that SPG LT requires consecutive years?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:55 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Dumb question.... Is there a place we can post or email our concerns, ideas, or our feelings about what we love about the SPG program so that Marriott will see/acknowledge them?

I am sure MAR is not going to make decisions on the new program without doing market research. The last thing they want to do is piss off SPG loyalists because, quite frankly, the SPG customer base could be the most valuable asset in this purchase. Especially seeing SPG does not own much brick & morter.

While we are all venting on here, it would be nice to make sure our message and feelings were heard by MAR... In a non-complaining way.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mhdena
My guess is the SPG to airline transfer is on the clock.

Wonder what will become of the Amex SPG cards?
Good question, since that's currently my major use card (given the relative value of points, and since I'm not still doing the traveling pattern where Hyatt points were over $.02 each).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
and, yeah, we talk about these things because they require action. a fair conversion would be 5:1. we'll likely see 2:1. if you have 10,000 points and 'preferred' SPG status, you won't understand. If you are Plat SPG and have 1.2mm points, you do! perhaps your username is a tell...
Based on costs to get points and benefits of using points, anywhere between 2:1 and 5:1 can be justified. It seems to me that around 3.5 is overall the fairest, and I expect around 3 to be the actual ratio.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
This part confuses me. SPG has a tighter expiring points program compared to Marriott. SPG - 12 months. Marriott (until this Feb was never) - now 24 months.

I don't care if you're a member of Marriott, Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, IHG, fill in the program. If you're not staying at a property in 12-24 mths & are not willing to pay a minimal sum ($12.50/1,000 pts w/ Marriott as an example) to keep your points from expiring, then you deserve to lose them.
When they're in the consolidation/conversion phase, I'd say that staying in either kind of hotel should keep points in both from expiring.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BonnieO
I am happy they said that we have time to burn our points. What would upset me is if the MR plats would be able to book into our hotels using their points when they earn 5 points per dollar spend when SPG earns only 1 dollar per dollar spend.
"our hotels"? What sort of proprietary ownership are you suggesting exists?

And where are you getting those earning numbers?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:29 am

There is talk about the changes happening possibly Jan.01/18..........Am I not understanding the rationale behind this but wouldn't it make sense for things to change on March 01/18 whereas the memberships would end or change for renewal as usual?
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
"our hotels"? What sort of proprietary ownership are you suggesting exists?

And where are you getting those earning numbers?
From the land of make believe, where Marriott elites will be lined up at SPG like its a new iPhone release.

I am elite in both programs, they each have their place. But neither is heads and tails above the other.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bravada04
There is talk about the changes happening possibly Jan.01/18..........Am I not understanding the rationale behind this but wouldn't it make sense for things to change on March 01/18 whereas the memberships would end or change for renewal as usual?
They'll change whenever they think it's best for them. It might well take even longer than that.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:02 am

Good question, since that's currently my major use card (given the relative value of points, and since I'm not still doing the traveling pattern where Hyatt points were over $.02 each).
The Amex SPG has been my favorite card.

Other hotel cards are only rewarding when paying for hotel stays, but the Amex SPG is rewarding on general spending. The ability to transfer points to a virtually any FF program with a 25% is without peer. This alone makes the Amex SPG the single "best" Airline rewards card for non-airfare purchases. While I suspect the better hotel cash & points redemptions will continue, availability may be reduced.

I believe the program will not change until 2018, but we may have (1) sudden termination of the 25% bonus and/or points transfers entirely, and (2) an even more than usual devaluation after next years category realignment.

As the purchaser inheriting an overly rich rewards program (from MAR's perspective), I see no reason why they'd offer a greater than 2:1 conversion ratio or continue the ability to transfer points.

The unknown is Amex. Chase is unlikely to be open to sharing the MAR/Ritz relationship with another lender, but even if they worked out an agreement, the SPG's card value will be lost, if only it'll be now earning less valuable Marriott points with limited flexibility.

My take? Use your points and don't let them devalue and capture the surplus. If they announced, say, transfers will end on 12/31/16, wouldn't every single SPG point be transferred out? In this scenario, MAR gains no surplus rendering devaluation irrelevant; in a scenario where all SPG points are exhausted, does the ratio even matter? Mind as well make it 10:1 for PR purposes. This is why I believe, similar to AS's devaluation EK, any decision to end transfers would be announced suddenly and without warning.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:09 am

They'll change whenever they think it's best for them. It might well take even longer than that.
Of course they should.

They paid for it. Now, in our modern PC state, they must proffer up a bunch of marketing BS placating the customers they've acquired, but they're certainly not going to deviate from their core strategy/culture just because of some incessant whining (including myself expressing our frustration and discontent on these forums).
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon
I am elite in both programs, they each have their place. But neither is heads and tails above the other.
In general, I'd agree.

Naturally, those who prefer or find more convenient staying in MAR properties will find the Marriott program more valuable, and vice versa. If we're considering only the merits of hotel stays, the difference isn't earth shattering, though I'd say generally *woods has better properties, but not by an overwhelming margin.

However, a single SPG point is worth considerably more than a Marriott point. From this perspective, the Amex SPG offering 1 SPG point per spend makes the program a much better value proposition than Marriott's, since the majority of a normal person's spend will not be on hotels. In addition, the 25% bonus transfer to virtually all FF programs makes the Amex SPG the single best value rewards credit card for general spending.

Chase's Marriott 1 pt per spend? This card has such a limited purpose, I've never even bothered to churn them since it takes up a valuable Chase slot better allocated for their other cards.

Therein lies the difference between the 2 rewards programs.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BonnieO
We have some time to determine what is best for us SPG plats.

I am happy they said that we have time to burn our points. What would upset me is if the MR plats would be able to book into our hotels using their points when they earn 5 points per dollar spend when SPG earns only 1 dollar per dollar spend.

I know there are thousands of MR plats/golds that want to book our SPG hotels. What's going to happen to the point spread between 2016 and 2018?

A fair point spread would be 5 Marriott points per every SPG point. So if a SPG property was 10,000 SPG points it would cost MR 50,000 points per night to redeem.

Bonnie
With the MR program being bigger, there are probably more outstanding MR points in accounts than Starpoints in SPG accounts--adjusted of course for either purchasing power or spend needed to acquire those points--although this effect is probably mitigated by the SPG program probably skewing more elite heavy. With more "value" of the MR points in circulation, there could be an incentive to make SPG points worth more in the conversion.

The sad thing is that when Marriott people get access to Starwood hotels as award bookings or with elite benefits, there will be lots of demand from all those MR members, but Starwood folks won't find many hotels of interest either as award stays or for their (lack of) elite benefits. So movement of hoards will mostly be in one direction, and it won't benefit us at all.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 9, 2016 at 9:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.