Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Deal closed SEP 23 - http://news.marriott.com/2016/09/marriott-international-expanded-loyalty-benefits/

FAQ :
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#will-rewards-and-spg-be-turning-into-one-program

Will Rewards and SPG be turning into one program?
These are two of the best programs in the industry, and we want you to benefit from everything that makes SPG and Rewards great. We don’t anticipate that the two programs will come together before 2018, and we will keep you informed of any updates. In the meantime, there’s no change to how you book reservations, manage your accounts or earn Elite night credits, points and miles in the current programs.

If I have Lifetime Status in one of the programs, will I also get it in the other program when I link my accounts?
We appreciate your loyalty! Lifetime Status is specific to the program that you earned it in. While linking accounts will not result in Lifetime Status in the other program, your Elite status will be matched to the same Elite tier in the other program. Any existing Lifetime Status you already hold within either program will still be enjoyed within that program. We’re working on more ways to recognize your loyalty and Lifetime Status as we work towards harmonizing the programs, which we don’t anticipate happening until 2018.

You can now link your Marriott Rewards or Ritz-Carlton Rewards account with your SPG account.

It will be a 3:1 transfer ratio between MR-SPG
Print Wikipost

Latest on the Starwood and Marriott merger : deal closed on 23 Sep.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What are you assuming will happen to LT Plat after the merger? IMO the best that can be expected would be LT Gold and even that's not obvious.
They would be foolish not to align the programs as much as possible before merging them. It has already begun, as has already been posted about extensively. I just can't see them wanting to deal with hordes of angry long time elite members who have been downgraded after being so loyal and profitable to their brands. Having just achieved Lifetime Plat myself, I sure hope I'm right.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tjk1976
I just can't see them wanting to deal with hordes of angry long time elite members who have been downgraded after being so loyal and profitable to their brands.
This was exactly what happened when Marriott stopped the Elite Exclusive Offer of Weekend BOGO. Not only that, after too many people complained here, they distanced themselves from Flyertalk.

So, if the numbers make sense and/or they think they can pull it off, they will do it. Competition will be lessened after the merger and, looking at what the airlines are doing, you know things are not on our side - whether you are MR or SPG member.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Marriott has already proved that it doesn't care to treat PPs or Plats better than Golds.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Chinese regulators just extended the review period for a 3rd time. No update on how much longer they will take. Looks like this deal will take through the end of year at least to sort itself out.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
More time 👍
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Chinese regulators just extended the review period for a 3rd time. No update on how much longer they will take. Looks like this deal will take through the end of year at least to sort itself out.
Good news.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Good news indeed! ^
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Not much detail or added info, but here's a link:

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/china-...20160902-00090
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by supatight80
The longer the better...
Yep, like FOREVER!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Chinese regulators just extended the review period for a 3rd time
Just to clarify please : is this an additional extension beyond the one announced (and noted in the thread wiki) on 8 August ?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Just to clarify please : is this an additional extension beyond the one announced (and noted in the thread wiki) on 8 August ?
I believe it is, based on this. But not sure where they got their info from.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3206858...r=1#email_link

"Chinese regulators have extended their examination of Marriott's (NYSE:MAR) $13.6B takeover of Starwood (NYSE:HOT) for a third time due to the complexity of the agreement."

However, nothing on the Marriott website re: it. I didn't check SPG's site. When the first delay occurred, both companies put out a statement.

Here's another take on the Chinese situation & perhaps why delays.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3999...igniter-widget

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 2, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
Sharon's post clarified it better.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Chinese regulators probably just want the deal to go back to the Chinese buyers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:52 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Chinese regulators probably just want the deal to go back to the Chinese buyers.
Or maybe they are the only ones not asleep at the switch in a global economic environment that's increasing become consolidated in the hands of a select few companies. I hope they kill it.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:41 am

Since the Diamond match, I've transitioned all of my paid stays to Hyatt. However, I do have tons of SPG points remaining. So, the longer the delay, the better; otherwise, I'll just have to transfer all of my points to FFs before the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.