Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP
@slidergirl - you're absolutely correct - I have no way of knowing for sure. I've never even seen the room management software system.

My observations were simply that if all categories of suite were showing as bookable each night at 11pm (the night before check-in, the night after check-in, and the night after check-out), it seems likely that there should have been some flexibility there, and it seems that the property chose not to embrace that...

I've stayed at a lot of properties in Europe and Asia that really seem to go the extra mile for Platinums, and it would be great to see that level of service consistently from North American properties as well. But this observation is not really news to anyone I don't suppose...

I only posted this review because I find stay reports like this useful when I am choosing between properties in a city. FWIW, I have received better Platinum treatment on my many stays at the Sheraton Wall Centre and the Westin Grand in Vancouver.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by slidergirl
How did you know, by just looking at the website, that all of those suites you supposedly saw were going to be VACANT, CLEAN, and INSPECTED and ready for occupancy when you wanted to check in? I need access to that site? As far as I know, the website only shows rooms that will be vacant on that day, not whether or not it is available for early check in, whether someone has a late check out, whether a number of the rooms are vacant, but dropped from HK services. How many of those vacant rooms are pre-blocked and marked "do not move" for all sorts of reasons? Until a room is actually checked in, it is still "vacant"...
Actually, the web site only shows what the property is willing to sell. Has nothing to do with how many are/will be vacant that day. Hotels have a long history showing them what they can expect in the way of last-minute cancellations and/or no shows. Many properties will risk the occasional walk and offer more rooms online than they actually have at the property.

The in-house system will be much more accurate as to what is available also taking into account rooms that may be blocked for maintenance or special needs. Using their website to bully them into possibly bumping someone else is not good. The website is not a good data source, although the only one we've got.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Actually, the web site only shows what the property is willing to sell. Has nothing to do with how many are/will be vacant that day. Hotels have a long history showing them what they can expect in the way of last-minute cancellations and/or no shows. Many properties will risk the occasional walk and offer more rooms online than they actually have at the property.

The in-house system will be much more accurate as to what is available also taking into account rooms that may be blocked for maintenance or special needs. Using their website to bully them into possibly bumping someone else is not good. The website is not a good data source, although the only one we've got.
Of course it does not show anything off market. A good Rooms Director will off-market rooms that have no chance of getting cleaned that day so it will not show on available. Or, I've had a manager make faux reservations to hold back a few rooms to be able to use as last resort for possible emergency moves. Not all FDAs have ability to put an off-market room back on and to change the HK status (an off-market room goes back on as V/D). But, if a room is marked as Vacant, it is subject to sale. As an evening person at the Front Desk, I was bitten more than once by a reservation made at the last minute and the only rooms "available" were Vacant Dirty - and only turndown staff available.

If the website is not a good data source, then don't try to bully your way into a room with it. Used to like to put comments in a guest's profile when this was tried - as a global comment, every *wood hotel from then on would be aware of the bully.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
If the website is not a good data source, then don't try to bully your way into a room with it. Used to like to put comments in a guest's profile when this was tried - as a global comment, every *wood hotel from then on would be aware of the bully.
I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me, but I certainly didn't bring up the suite availability that was showing online with the staff at the hotel. I merely mentioned in my stay report as an observation...

My primary concerns with the stay were that the property failed to provide a 4pm checkout (which I believe is supposed the be guaranteed), that they told me that there was a 20% SPG discount for food (when there wasn't), and that they overcharged me of 5 items at the restaurant.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by smokie
I'm not sure if this comment was directed at me, but I certainly didn't bring up the suite availability that was showing online with the staff at the hotel. I merely mentioned in my stay report as an observation...

My primary concerns with the stay were that the property failed to provide a 4pm checkout (which I believe is supposed the be guaranteed), that they told me that there was a 20% SPG discount for food (when there wasn't), and that they overcharged me of 5 items at the restaurant.
Is the Bayshore considered a resort, conference center or convention Property? If so, they are exempt from that 4pm checkout.

There were times where I wanted to have the late checkout person stick around so I could point them out to the guest who now couldn't check in Front Desk gets abused at both ends of that one - the guest who complains when a late checkout isn't granted and the guest who complains when the room isn't ready because someone had a late checkout. All of which is not under FD control. Please don't say "just change around rooms" - it is not that easy, especially at a hotel as busy as the Bayshore.

The F&B issues were unfortunate and should have not happened.

I used to not drink much. Then, I started working Front Desk...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat75, MR Plat, UA Silver, GE/NEXUS

I've stayed here a number of times over the last few months and was never told of a restaurant discount. I've also certainly done late check-out but not sure I ever needed 4pm. I know that the bar/restaurant in the lobby does have a discount when you check-in on Yelp but was never told about one as a plat at check-in. Never been upgraded to a suite here even on one night stays; they usually upgrade me from whatever the lowest rate room is to an upper level tower room with a harbor view though.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:43 am

Bayshore is a resort property and is exempt for the 4PM checkout
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Bayshore is a resort property and is exempt for the 4PM checkout
Actually, according to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html is not a resort, but rather a conference/convention center property, still exempt from the 4pm checkout.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:27 am

Well - that explains it.

Ironically, I actually only mentioned the 4pm checkout issue at this property, because a Platinum Concierge expressed frustration that the property wouldn't honour my request, and encouraged me to open a CCS file. I had never done this in 10+ years with Starwood, and I wouldn't have unless he took this position... which I guess was actually erroneous.

Cheers all. I appreciated the dialogue...

Actually, according to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18920557-post809.html is not a resort, but rather a conference/convention center property, still exempt from the 4pm checkout.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well - that explains it.

Ironically, I actually only mentioned the 4pm checkout issue at this property, because a Platinum Concierge expressed frustration that the property wouldn't honour my request, and encouraged me to open a CCS file. I had never done this in 10+ years with Starwood, and I wouldn't have unless he took this position... which I guess was actually erroneous.

Cheers all. I appreciated the dialogue...
Sadly, the worst program advice I've received has been from a CSR of that program (not SPG). The phrase "travel defensively" applies to the loyalty programs as well. Reading the T&Cs and asking lots of questions, especially on member populated sites like FT, is the best way to go. DO NOT rely upon the CSRs to know all the rules or figure out what is to your advantage.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:17 pm

I don't know if I was just lucky, or if policy has changed, but I was able to get a 4pm checkout on a Saturday (St Patrick's Day to boot). Also got a Plat upgrade to corner room ... room was really nothing special, but the views of the harbour sunrise - amazing!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
My only problem last week with a 2pm checkout was that even though I put 2pm in the app, and that app said 'you're good for 2pm checkout' that never translated into the actual system so my keys stopped working at 2pm and the front desk asked me when I was going to depart when I came at 1:45pm asking why my keys stopped working. Marriott IT at its finest.

Also, upgrade to anything on the hot section of the breakfast buffet is $7CAD. Not the end of the world, but the Marriott certificate that they give you says "breakfast" nothing about only cold items, or limits, etc. Shame on Marriott for more deception.

The amazing views from the tower rooms and even from the restaurant and lobby bar continue to be a big reason to stay here. The location is also fantastic for walking/biking Stanley Park and wandering over to Robson street for shopping.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
My only problem last week with a 2pm checkout was that even though I put 2pm in the app, and that app said 'you're good for 2pm checkout' that never translated into the actual system so my keys stopped working at 2pm and the front desk asked me when I was going to depart when I came at 1:45pm asking why my keys stopped working. Marriott IT at its finest.
I presume you meant the keys stopped at 12N. This is not an IT issue, but rather a FDC failure either doing or knowing how to reprogram the keys given at check in. Personally, I think they should set all the keys to expire at 6pm (or at least for the elites). As soon as a new key is used on the door the old one is invalid so other than sneaking in before the next guest the room is secure.
Also, upgrade to anything on the hot section of the breakfast buffet is $7CAD. Not the end of the world, but the Marriott certificate that they give you says "breakfast" nothing about only cold items, or limits, etc. Shame on Marriott for more deception.
Yes, a bit deceptive. I guess they could have a table set up with cello wrapped danish in the corner and call that breakfast (shades of Quality Inns). I wonder if you ask if the chit is good for a hot or cold breakfast, maybe the food staff is pulling a fast one?
The amazing views from the tower rooms and even from the restaurant and lobby bar continue to be a big reason to stay here. The location is also fantastic for walking/biking Stanley Park and wandering over to Robson street for shopping.
There are a lot of things that can counter the issues you've posted. Only you can decide if that's enough. Not the end of the world.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Yes, a bit deceptive. I guess they could have a table set up with cello wrapped danish in the corner and call that breakfast (shades of Quality Inns). I wonder if you ask if the chit is good for a hot or cold breakfast, maybe the food staff is pulling a fast one?
I don't understand your comment... did I ask if the chit was good for hot or cold? No, I was told it was good for only cold. Are you suggesting that maybe the property is pulling a fast one on MAR by doing the up-charge for hot, when they are reimbursed by the loyalty program for a full breakfast, pocketing the extra revenue?

Thanks to FT and past experiences at this property, I knew what I was getting into when making my decision. And yes, location (view and close to a meeting) was a major factor.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I don't understand your comment... did I ask if the chit was good for hot or cold? No, I was told it was good for only cold. Are you suggesting that maybe the property is pulling a fast one on MAR by doing the up-charge for hot, when they are reimbursed by the loyalty program for a full breakfast, pocketing the extra revenue?

Thanks to FT and past experiences at this property, I knew what I was getting into when making my decision. And yes, location (view and close to a meeting) was a major factor.
I meant to say "ask the FDC giving you the chit". Sometimes food service is contracted out and will go cheap when they can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.