Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ial-suite-2198
Print Wikipost

Hotel Imperial, Luxury Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I will be arriving in Vienna by train from Budapest. What is the best way to get to the hotel? Taxi? Public transport?

Is the Tourist card at 18.5 euros a good value?

Does the hop on hop off sightseeing bus pick up in front of the hotel?

it might be cheaper to buy a round-trip, last yr it was and it included a 3 day transport card as well for VIE
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by craz
it might be cheaper to buy a round-trip, last yr it was and it included a 3 day transport card as well for VIE
Do you mean a RT train ticket from Budapest? And that would be cheaper even though we won't be returning to Budapest?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Do you mean a RT train ticket from Budapest? And that would be cheaper even though we won't be returning to Budapest?
exactly, sort of like a plane tkt over here where a r/t can be much cheaper then a 1 way, no?

we went VIE-BUD and asked about a r/t tkt and were told its much cheaper to buy the return tkt from BUD then to buy it from VIE either as part of a r/t or 2 1-ways. We were flying from BUD anyway and just were asking to see if it was cheaper.

But we were told at least last summer a r/t BUD-VIE was cheaper then a 1 way. A friend did purchase a r/t to BTS as it was cheaper then a 1 way and it too included public transport in BTS, and they werent going back to BUD but also were gonna be flying out of VIE and simply threw the return part away
Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:57 am

Programs: Free Agent
If you're planning on hitting up a lot of museums/attractions, the Vienna Card is worth it. I saved at least 10 Euros off the museums, which combined with the metro, made it a good deal for me.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I will be arriving in Vienna by train from Budapest. What is the best way to get to the hotel? Taxi? Public transport?

Is the Tourist card at 18.5 euros a good value?

Does the hop on hop off sightseeing bus pick up in front of the hotel?
I assume you arrive at "Wien Westbahnhof" (there are also connections to Sdbahnhof and to Htteldorf).

You can use underground U3 from Westbahnhof to Stubentor ( http://www.wienerlinien.at/media/fil...utsch_3288.pdf ) and connect from there to tram no 2. Tram 2 stops in front of the Imperial ( http://www.wienerlinien.at/media/fil...plan_10966.pdf ). The walk from the train station to the underground is a bit longish though.

I'd also recommend the above mentioned Vienna card (if you intend to go e.g. into museums) or a 24/48/72h public transport ticket - depending how long you are going to stay. You can buy these tickets at Westbahnhof already.
You can do a lot by just walking but I found it comfortable to just jump into a tram to drive one or two stations. Vienna has a very good transport system with high frequencies (so this is quite a good alternative to the hop on/hop off sightseeing bus although you have to be your own tour guide without explanations/hints).
Trams 1+2 used to drive around the inner city with nice views but this is not the case anymore. Now you have to use both in order to do this tour and switch from line 1 to line 2 or vice versa.

Taxi is about 15-20EUR. I prefer the taxi if I have heavy luggage or >2-3 pieces as the walk to the underground is a bit longish (though there is also quite a walk to the taxi stand) and it's a bit of dragging oneself up the stairs in the older trams. But without much luggage, it's absolutely no problem to use public transport.

I don't know all the stations of the hop on hop off sightseeing bus and how many operators there are. There is at least one operator that stops in front of the opera which is a five minute walk from the Imperial ( http://www.viennasightseeingtours.com/index_eng.htm ).
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by bizaro86
The torte is, incidentally, worth every penny of that 45 euro, and should not be missed. We brought those back home with us, and our family/friends insisted on getting the website address where they can be ordered.

Michael

PS: I looked it up, the address is below, and they're 47 euros.

https://www.imperialtorte.at/en/shop/
They have an additional cake called "black orange" since about 2 months. It has an orange flavour and looks similiar to the original "Imperial Torte" with layers of cacao and wafers of almond pastry.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:12 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by LH738
They have an additional cake called "black orange" since about 2 months. It has an orange flavour and looks similiar to the original "Imperial Torte" with layers of cacao and wafers of almond pastry.
Man, that's just heinous. LOL.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 27, 2009, 1:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by bizaro86
The hotel has numerous instant awards, and as I recall they were excellent value, based on the list price of the things offered. Included were a couple of meal options (Breakfast, and a few dinner choices) as well as hotel items (logo bathrobe). The one that I took, which was a great value, was the imperial torte. I looked up the debit in my spg account, and I spent 3000 points for two of the tortes. I believe they were 45 euro each, or 3 euro cents per point, which is a good value in my opinion. The torte is, incidentally, worth every penny of that 45 euro, and should not be missed. We brought those back home with us, and our family/friends insisted on getting the website address where they can be ordered.

Michael

PS: I looked it up, the address is below, and they're 47 euros.

https://www.imperialtorte.at/en/shop/
I concur.... I love the Imperial Torte, even moreso than the Original Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher. The wooden boxes make for impressive gifts and the cakes are just simply delicious. I would also recommend going to Demel for their cakes -- wow!!

I love the Imperial very much -- it is one of my favourite hotels in the world and the Concierge does wonders in getting tickets to the StaatsOper or Vienna Phil tickets at the Musikverein.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by luxury
I concur.... I love the Imperial Torte, even moreso than the Original Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher. The wooden boxes make for impressive gifts and the cakes are just simply delicious. I would also recommend going to Demel for their cakes -- wow!!
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Originally Posted by LH738
---
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Man, that's just heinous. LOL.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I also love the Imperial Torte. The new one "shwarz Orange" is also available at the breakfast buffet - just a great start in the morning (though with some calorie-overload...).
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: EK Gold, SPG Plat, Radisson Gold, BA Silver HHonors Silver A Club, CSA Gold
all good so far

Am staying here at the moment. Beautiful grand hotel, a real oasis.
Received a junior suite upgrade as a Gold on a free weekend stay. Small fruit bowl, letter from manager, chocolates and water.
Public areas are very decorous. Am more than happy with the stay. Just a few points to note, alcoholic drinks on room service are not merely expensive, they are extortionate; no glass of wine under 30 euro. Had room service last night as we were both tired from the journey from Budapest. Fastest delivery time ever, just over 10 minutes for 2 mains a dessert and fresh orange.
Bath tub very uncomfortable due to non-slip coating, feels like you are lying on a cheese grater, will have to put a towel down next time!
Front desk genuinely friendly. Concierge less eager to help, or less knowledgable than you would expect; I asked him if there were any maternity clothes shops nearby, and he took out a map and circled Kaertner strasse, saying you should find one there. If you are not familiar with Vienna that's like pointing out Oxford Street or 5th Avenue.
Wifi only available in lobby (signal v weak) and apparently first and second floors.
Didn't ask about 4pm check out as my wife checked in whilst I parked (not sure how she was able to without her name on my reservation) will request it when I get out of this maternity clothes shop.
Overall, nice hotel, would stay here again on a free award, but wouldn't spend the money or points. I am sure the traditional style merits the high price for some, just personally, for 400 euro a night I prefer frills over frilly curtains
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I will be arriving at VIE. What is the best way to get to the hotel? Taxi? S Bahn/CAT/tram? I have a bit of luggage. I can usually manage on the metro, but not sure if I could get it on a tram.

Found the answer online at the excellent Wiener Linien (Transit System) website which even gives the times of the trains. Looks like it is the same as for the Bristol (where I will also stay). I will take the S-Bahn to Floridsdorf and change to the U-Bahn U4.

Last edited by Nevsky; Sep 1, 2009 at 12:07 am
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky
I will be arriving at VIE. What is the best way to get to the hotel? Taxi? S Bahn/CAT/tram? I have a bit of luggage. I can usually manage on the metro, but not sure if I could get it on a tram.

Found the answer online at the excellent Wiener Linien (Transit System) website which even gives the times of the trains. Looks like it is the same as for the Bristol (where I will also stay). I will take the S-Bahn to Floridsdorf and change to the U-Bahn U4.
You might want to consider an alternative. You can change at Rennweg from S-Bahn to tram 71 towards Schwarzenbergplatz. The tram stops close to the Imperial at Schubertring (so not an option for the Bristol).
The tram has enough space for the luggage but you have to move your luggage 2-3 stairs when entering/exiting (if that's what you worries in your post above). On the other hand, the tram stop is much closer to the Imperial compared to the U4 (Stadtpark or Karlsplatz-Opernring): walking distance is much shorter from the tram stop.

Last edited by LH738; Sep 1, 2009 at 2:44 am
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:19 am
Suspended

I will take the S-Bahn to Floridsdorf and change to the U-Bahn U4.
I dont believe that the S7 (line that serves VIE) even goes to Floridsdorf. I believe it stops at the Main station Wein Mitte. Lines S3/4/5 serves Floridsdorf

Then the U4 doesnt go there either seems its the U6 for 4 stops and then you transfer to the U4

You can take the S7 to Wein Mitte and and walk abit over to the U staion and catch the U4. I would do this only if you have carry-ons as there are a ton of stairs if I remember correctly from last year, and a narrow escalator

when Im heading back to VIE myself next Mon from the Imperial I plan to walk to Rennweg and catch the S7 from there. I will have a shoulder bag and carry-on only , so no problems.

if you will be loaded with luggage , maybe either a cab from VIE or to save S7 to Rennweg and grab a cab from there for the short distance to the Hotel.

cant mention the trams as I never rode on them so dont know what they are like.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:00 am
Suspended

Anyone else gonna be there over Labor Day weekend? PM me

wont have computer access after Fri morn, switching Hotels to The Imperial
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I will take the S-Bahn to Floridsdorf and change to the U-Bahn U4.
I should have said "direction Floridsdorf" (at least that is what the Wiener Linien directions say) and change at Wien Mitte. Some trains such as the CAT have a different direction, but also necessary to change at Wien Mitte.

And yes, I will be there Labor Day weekend.

Last edited by Nevsky; Sep 1, 2009 at 10:20 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.