Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Free 500 Starwood Bonus Points on Registration

Free 500 Starwood Bonus Points on Registration

Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
It gets better.

When I was told no points, I wrote back simply
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I'm disappointed that you are not living up to the offer that was publicly posted on your website. </font>
End of story. Then I got back the following reply:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Maybe you should seek some grief counseling to help you with your
disappointment.</font>
Old Jan 21, 2004, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Maybe its time we Make a Thread titled

4PTS Norwood - STAY AWAYYYYYYY

just like the LV westin

a little more bad publicity would be just what they deserve.. this thread is bad publicity but unfortunately the title doesn't identify the property and people might miss the thread

but I'll join the list of people boycotting this property...

Edited to add: I didn't get an email from the hotel.. did anyone else?

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited Jan 21, 2004).]
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I'm not expressing an opinion about a boycott.

They offered points for signing up on their website. I signed up on their website. I'm actually the kind of person they were looking for to do so, but leave that aside. There weren't any terms & conditions on the offer. They promised 500 points.

They chose not to award the promised points. I understand why they're doing that, although I'm of mixed emotions about it.

I told them it disappointed me. I was civil and never made demands. Then I got the bizarre response that really had me shaking my head, from the hotel's Director of Sales & Marketing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Maybe you should seek some grief counseling to help you with your disappointment.</font>
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:44 pm
Suspended

This was Norwood, Massachusetts 4PNTS, correct? I signed up and received nothing. How about we show some grief management by showing up there with a dozen eggs?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cygnus X-1:
This was Norwood, Massachusetts 4PNTS, correct? I signed up and received nothing. How about we show some grief management by showing up there with a dozen eggs?</font>
I don't recommend that.

Also, for what it's worth I never meant to cause the Four Points Norwood to have this influx.

Though the original poster says they found it on my website, that itself was a glitch.

I came across the offer, typed it on my website, and then took it down immediately. I had qualms about broadcasting it, and I never posted it on Flyertalk.

My website has a neat little feature that emails all of the day's contents out to anyone that signs up to receive it. What I didn't realize is that it emails out even inactive content. So a list of about 300 people got the email, and one of those posted it on Flyertalk.

So it was inadvertantly spread broadly.

Although I don't know if it was actually my fault, as I also came to find that the offer was posted on FatWallet.com before I mentioned it on my site (and immediately took it down).

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited Jan 21, 2004).]
Old Jan 21, 2004, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gleff:
Then I got the bizarre response that really had me shaking my head, from the hotel's Director of Sales & Marketing</font>
How about an e-mail address?
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:08 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

------------------
kpc
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:31 pm

posted by gleff:
"It gets better.
When I was told no points, I wrote back simply

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm disappointed that you are not living up to the offer that was publicly posted on your website.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End of story. Then I got back the following reply:
quote:
Maybe you should seek some grief counseling to help you with your
disappointment.

============================================
I am shocked. I do not see how an apparently responsible person at a hospitality industry can give such a response. With your posting this on the FT board I am hoping :
a. The person responding to you will need grief counselling once Starwood hears of this.
b. The person writing this should have sensitivity and politeness training with some anger management thrown in.

This is totally unacceptable behavior.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 7:48 pm

I am consistently amazed at how a company can make an offer designed to drum up business and then renege when they are overwhelmed by applicants.

What are they thinking?

Obviously, they just did not understand the incredible speed that news travels via the Internet. For me, I'm just gonna let it go...

edited for spelling
------------------
View from seat 24E

[This message has been edited by cantstop (edited Jan 21, 2004).]
Old Jan 22, 2004, 7:59 pm

Received a lovely brochure and business card in response, still waiting for the 500 bonus points.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I think it is absolutely ridiculous for them not to follow through on their offering! When they advertised it in Dec all they wanted was our name etc. no requirement to set up a meeting.

Did I sign up to get the 500 pts, yes. Might I ever organize a meeting there, slim possibility. Might I ever have a need to stay there, yes. I go to MA all the time and my Company is based in MA so there is a good chance.

Is my title "Meeting Planner", no, but that doesn't mean I don't ever set up meetings and decide on locations, indeed I do.

Stores often give out free things to the first so many in the door, with no obligation to buy. Often times you can register for various promotions and get something for nothing. So expecting to "register" and get 500 pts is certainly not out of the ordinary, nor is 500 pts exactly a whole lot. I got that from a Sheraton for asking them to change a light bulb in my room.

The 4pts in Norwood should be living up to their side of the bargain, I (and others) did what they asked, now they need to keep their side of it.

I'm not going to make much effort to try and get it because it isn't worth that much, but if I don't get it I will certainly not stay there and I will also certainly not recommend to others to stay there, I'll actually tell people to stay away (and I do spend time, and know a lot of people in MA). One lost room revenue from me, or someone else, would have probably paid for meeting their end of the bargain.

Sad if they don't! Not only gives the Norwood site a bad name, but also Starwood.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:10 am

From their public website here are the monkeys involved in the 4PTS Norwood operation

http://www.fourpointsnorwood.com/staff.cfm

Kevin Casey, General Manager

A graduate of Johnson & Wales University with a degree in culinary arts, Kevin has been employed with Sheraton Hotels since 1986. He has served as Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director, Assistant General Manager and is currently the General Manager of the Four Points Norwood Hotel and Conference Center. Kevin is committed to providing top quality food and beverage and offering outstanding service. He is a firm believer in the company's vision "Service is Our Product".

Paul M. Dooley, Director of Sales & Marketing

Paul is a 20-year veteran of the hospitality industry. A graduate of Bryant College with a BS in Business Administration his background includes private country club management, hotel sales/marketing, catering and conference center operations and controls. Paul is very visible each day throughout the conference center insuring that customer's expectations are met and exceeded

Mary Hogan, Senior Sales Manager

Mary has been with the conference center for the past several years. She has been a significant contributor to the success of the sales effort. Mary 's prime focus is building new opportunities and solidifying current customer relationships. Mary is always ready to deliver exceptional service to our customers. As the senior sales person Mary has plenty to offer to both old and new customers as well as setting a fine example of what taking care of the customer is all about.

Laura Fellini, Conference Coordinator

Tangie Foster, Internal Sales Coordinator

If you want to contact them:
http://www.fourpointsnorwood.com/contact.cfm
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:05 am

if you want to get points just call spg customer service and they will credit you points. i called 2 days ago and points already posted as good will points.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:12 am

sometimes the answer is just too simple

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by roadtraveler:
if you want to get points just call spg customer service and they will credit you points. i called 2 days ago and points already posted as good will points.</font>
Old Jan 23, 2004, 11:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Well, calling SPG is a simple enough solution, but I don't think that is very fair to SPG. Why should SPG award points (goodwill or not) for a promotion sponsored by an individual property? The clowns at 4 Points Norwood should be picking this up as it was their promo, not SPG's. If they see their way to award me the points, great. If not, 4 Points Norwood will never be visited by me or anyone in my family, nor would I consider recommending them to anyone who is contemplating visiting that area. As another poster stated, even one lost room night will cost them more than the cost of the points if they had honored the promo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.