Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Starwood will be Chinese soon so they do not care about any U.S regulations or whatever. They look into the future.
Ask ZTE how that works out.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/19/te...sanctions.html
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jaenks
Starwood will be Chinese soon so they do not care about any U.S regulations or whatever. They look into the future.
Part of the motivation for Anbang to purchase Starwood is the desire to move/keep assets out of China. I don't see the corporate registration or whatever moving to China, although of course various companies are going offshore (Ireland, for example) to avoid taxation.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Starwood said there are four properties, but only named three.

Starwood also said it had permission from the Treasury Department to operate one additional hotel, although it did not announce which that would be....
Above from
Starwood Signs Historic Deals for 3 Havana Hotels

Above appeared in FBT where I serve as Ed.Dir.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jspira

Above from
Starwood Signs Historic Deals for 3 Havana Hotels

Above appeared in FBT where I serve as Ed.Dir.
I see where Frequent Business Traveler said that Starwood said there are four properties, but I do not find any official Starwood communication that states such.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:14 pm

These hotels need some major renovations.........and even then?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by jspira
I suspect the writer got confused with the Four Points!
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:15 pm

I stayed in the Inglaterra one month ago. It needs a lot of renovation, it has the potential to be beautiful. At the moment it's a bit of a disaster.

I'll be fascinated how Starwood instills customer service. Cuba- well for obvious reasons, there's no real concept of customer service. You get what you get and you like it. It's one big project, I hope they make it work.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by controller1
I see where Frequent Business Traveler said that Starwood said there are four properties, but I do not find any official Starwood communication that states such.
In fact, the official press release is pretty clear that there are exactly three properties involved, so unless there's another official missive, I'd take that as gospel.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Three new SPG hotels to open in Cuba!

What will be offered in lieu of Internet access for Platinums? I have my priorities to live up to. 😄
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I'm wondering if it would possible to puff on a Cuban Montecristo in the lobby of these renovated hotels, while sipping fine Cognac, aged tequila, & aged Cuban rum?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sapguy
I'm wondering if it would possible to puff on a Cuban Montecristo in the lobby of these renovated hotels, while sipping fine Cognac, aged tequila, & aged Cuban rum?
You shouldn't mix your drinks. It's insulting to the country that produces that aged Cuban rum.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You shouldn't mix your drinks. It's insulting to the country that produces that aged Cuban rum.
I was thinking Cuban rum with American Coke
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

Cuban law prevents widespread direct hiring of Cuban workers by foreign firms.
Interesting, unless it means Marriott is sending in ex-pats as well wrt training so the % is higher of ex-pats to Cuban workers? Marriott's press release (where it got approval to do bizness in Cuba as well), but which did not include done deals such as SPG did, mentions:

"Marriott’s objectives in Cuba include entering the hospitality sector with Marriott brands, providing hospitality training for Cuban nationals, helping to generate new economic opportunities for businesses supplying the hospitality industry, and as a corporate citizen, supporting opportunities for youth, women and other communities in Cuba."

On a dif note & taking it back to travel, I didn't realize that current law doesn't allow for airline points & if that pertains to hotels as well. That might delay some folk staying at either SPG or Marriott properties if no points are earned.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Accrue these points to a non-US partner? Easy enough for airlines in an alliance, a bit more tough for a hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bravada04
These hotels need some major renovations.........and even then?
Not necessarily. I stayed at Hotel Quinta Avenida in 2012 and it was a fine hotel. Not old and crumbling like some of the downtown buildings. The wifi worked well, even out by the pool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.