Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Old May 30, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
standard platinum upgrade seem to be to the imperial room

I had a similar reaction, though I liked our room. I think they put platinums in imperial rooms as a standard matter.

Originally Posted by points_maniac
Just stayed 5 nights at the St. Regis in Rome and was not too impressed. As a platinum I was upgraded to an Imperial room which is ok, but not too spectacular either. I realize it is a historic hotel, but the room could use some updating nevertheless. As an example, the windows are very old and let all street noise through, so bring your ear plugs.

Service is very subdued and hit and miss. Breakfast was ok but nothing out of the world. The cocktails are the most expensive I have ever seen even by St. Regis standards.

I preferred the St. Regis in Florence. It was better maintained and had better service.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Lengthy trip report between two hotels.

Last week I was in Rome for work and stayed two nights at the Westin Excelsior and one night at the Saint Regis. I booked the Westin Excelsior on an SPG Hot Escapes rate a few months ago and the Saint Regis through Virtuoso. I booked the lowest available room at each as an SPG Gold.

At the Westin, I checked in around noon. When I checked in at the Westin, it was about noon. I had a great chat with the front desk agent and let her know it was my first time at the hotel. I asked if there was a chance of an upgrade and just to see what happened asked if there was a suite available. She said the hotel was fairly full and I reminded her I didnt need to check in, I could just drop my bags. She did some checking, and said, would you need a late check out? I explained no, thinking it would help and she smiled and tapped away and said, I can help you out then. A few minutes later she handed me the key and said, there are no suites, but this is a very nice room and it is available now. I was fine with that, but it was a weird exchange. Anyway, the room was very nice, but I would not say it was large or particularly nice and there was no view. It was what I booked so I cant be upset, but it was strange she thought she was helping me out. I truly didnt need a late check out, but had I needed it, I would have been annoyed.

I liked the Westin for its location directly next to the American Embassy to the Holy See (where I had a meeting one of the days) and to a few restaurants. But to get to the Vatican or Piazza Navonna, it wasnt particular convenient.

I was surprised how I felt almost invisible to the hotel staff. Doors werent opened, no greeting coming and going, no one out front to hail a cab. The second night I came back to my room, there was a very strange smell in the room, like a dead animal. I called right away and they said, turn off your air conditioner and open a window OR we could give you a new room. It was after 10pm and I did not want to pack everything, so I just said okay. When I checked out, I mentioned the problem again and their response was thank you for telling us but no further attention was paid to it. It wasnt a total disaster, but wasnt what I expected. Also, in the room at the Westin is a note offering a complimentary cup of tea or coffee for guests, one each day. I asked for tea one evening and that appeared on my room bill for 8 Euro. I mentioned it should be free and the desk agent took it off without saying a word.

I stupidly left two pair of trousers in the drawer after moving to the Saint Regis. When I called that night from the Saint Regis, they couldnt have cared less and told me to call back in the morning. In the morning, I went to the hotel and it took them over 45 minutes to bring the items to me. It was my fault, but their response to my mistake was to have no concern or care at all. And the delay caused me to miss breakfast at the Saint Regis.

Then I moved to the Saint Regis, just about a five minute walk up the Via Veneto. I checked in at the Saint Regis on a Virtuoso rate about noon. When I checked in I said, I dont need to check in right away, but are you able to upgrade the room? She immediately said no, and kept typing without looking up. I said, what if I check in later? She said, your Gold status gives you an enhanced room only. Just to see if it mattered I said, but I am also on a Virtuoso rate, and she replied, and that is only if available.

The room I was assigned was a standard room, and it was perfectly fine. The dcor of the hotel is a bit much for me, and the grandiosity also. For those who like that, it is probably one of the nicest.

Because I had a $100 credit as a part of Virtuoso, I asked if it was possible to use it for the spa or for ground transportation and again, rudely told no. Im fine with the rules, but there was no real courtesy offered. Anyway, because it was for food only, I invited some friends up for a light lunch in the lobby bar. It was about 80 Euro for the lunch, which was perfectly nice, but did not stand out much. I looked at the check later and saw that the Diet Coke I ordered was 10 Euro. No refills either!

When I arrived back to my room that evening I did have chocolates, candies, AND a bottle of champagne waiting for me. I was alone, so I called room service and asked them to come get the bottle of champagne and asked for a cup of tea instead, and they brought it to my room without charge. Oddly, I figured since they didnt ask what kind of tea they would bring a selection. They didnt. Just decaf Earl Grey, which was fine.

Because I was running late to the airport and had to walk back to the Westin, where I waited for so long, I did not get a chance to have the breakfast that was included in my Virtuoso rate, unfortunately. Check out at the Saint Regis was uneventful and fine.

Between Westin and Saint Regis, Im not sure which I would choose. Some favor the location of the Westin, but it is honestly not much further to the Saint Regis. Neither property made me feel particularly at home and my suspicion is that the little extra attention I got at the Saint Regis was because I was on the Virtuoso rate, not Gold status. I much prefer the Cavalieri and I would not stay in either of these two over the Cav.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:44 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Any recent thoughts.?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:28 am

I don't find either hotel to be particularly great although if I had to choose I would probably pick the Westin because it is typically cheaper and in a better location. Yes both hotels are within walking distance from one another but after a looong day those few extra minutes of walking/extra steps matter.

Bear in mind that the St. Regis in Rome feels quite different from the "typical" (especially the newer) St. Regis - all the familiar names like the Library, Drawing Room, Decanter etc are not there. Even the furnishing feels a bit different. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how much you value familiarity. I'm not saying they're bad - just different. The amenities are still Elemis. I would say, IMHO, overall, it feels more 'old world' but less 'luxurious' and 'bespoke'.

On a side note, there is a Carrefour right in front of the St. Regis which we found very useful.

Last edited by jaejaez; Jul 17, 2016 at 1:35 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:41 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We had an amazing stay at the Westin 6 or 7 years ago- they upgraded us to a beautiful suite- surprised us with with wine, cheese & fruit and gave us a beautiful book on Rome. The concierges were top notch and they really made us feel special.

A year and a half ago we were a little underwhelmed by the cold service at the St Regis. Our room was fine ( we applied
SNAs) but we found the hotel uncharacteristicly stiff compared to other hotels in Italy. ( after that stay we had an amazing 5 nights at the St Regis Florence)

We are typically big fans of the St Regis brand- but I think we would choose the Westin on our next visit.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:06 am

Stayed at Westin with my wife months back. We were upgraded to a spacious suite but I did not feel furnishings were what I would have expected for a suite (dated). Overall the entire hotel is lovely, staff was helpful, and we received welcome gift wine delivered to our suite the evening of arrival. The breakfast buffet was excellent. There are many nearby restaurants to walk to for dinner. We visited the St. Regis and I felt it more upscale in appearance. If you walk from the train station you walk past the St. Regis on your way to the Westin which with luggage is a considerable bit further. As far as location I don't feel either is much different for walking to the Roman Colosseum and other historic locations. From either I would not walk but take a taxi to the Vatican.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:07 am

We enjoyed both places. For us the st Regis was the best in service, but much farther to the attractions but still a nice walk. The excelsior is close to the park for daily morning walks and is in a busy area once known for a place where celebrities vacationed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.