Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rome: St Regis or Westin Excelsior? 2008 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:29 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Delta, AA, United, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by nologic
Interesting. Neither are now Luxury Collection properties? I think they both used to be (4-5 years ago?). I stayed there as part of the SPG Platinum Luxury Collection 3 property promotion. For our 3 Luxury Collection properties, we stayed at the Park Tower in London, Europa and Regina in Venice, and Excelsior in Rome. Now, it looks like many of the Luxury Collection properties have been deleted from the Luxury Collection. Wonder what happened?

I do find it strange as well that it's no longer Luxury. The Westin Excelsior in Naples is still Luxury, and the room rates are half the price of the St Regis Rome and Westin Excelsior Rome hotels. Also just FYI, the ones in Rome are not both Category 6 right now, the Westin Excelsior is a Category 5 (12,000 pts per stay). This is definitely a recent development (within the past two months), as I was looking up the rates in February and they were both Category 6 at the time.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:40 pm

I prefer the Westin because the less pts needed for an award stay (12K vs 20K).
Old Jun 22, 2010, 6:38 am

For the second time in a row, I have selected the Excelsior of the SR. While I have not stayed at the SR, I felt my last stay at the Excelsior was exactly what I was looking for in a Rome property, so why play around with success?

Next visit is 5 nights in September. Will post a trip report.

Cheers,
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Eden or St Regis or Excelsior

Hi -

What would you recommend for the following visit:

- Staying just 1 Saturday night in October
- On weekend free night stay (so no issue on number of points)
- Would like easy transport to FCO, likely train to Termini (wife will be very pregnant at the time!)
- Platinum status, so any lounge/upgrade/other benefits should be considered.

Thanks for any opinions, tons of threads here, so still sifting through it ...
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by AskTravis
What would you recommend for the following visit:

- Staying just 1 Saturday night in October
- On weekend free night stay (so no issue on number of points)
- Would like easy transport to FCO, likely train to Termini (wife will be very pregnant at the time!)
- Platinum status, so any lounge/upgrade/other benefits should be considered.
YMMV, but I'd choose the Excelsior over the Eden b/c it is marginally better located and you are more likely to get a good upgrade as Plat. And, I would choose Excelsior over StR b/c I don't like the StR's location nearly as well. For me, Rome is location, location, location. Surely others will disagree.

Dave
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
For me, Rome is location, location, location. Surely others will disagree.
For a one night stay, I have to agree. If you were staying for more nights, then the room, service, luxury standards, etc. might play a bigger part in the decision. But for one night, the difference between the 3 is fairly small and I would want to see and do as much as possible for the short time there. So location becomes the more important deciding factor.

Last edited by hhoope01; Jun 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm Reason: readability
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great, sounds like the Excelsior is the way to go... thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by hhoope01
For a one night stay, I have to agree. If you were staying for more nights, then the room, service, luxury standards, etc. might play a bigger part in the decision. But for one night, the difference between the 3 is fairly small and I would want to see and do as much as possible for the short time there. So location becomes the more important deciding factor.
Some good advice here.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:12 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
FCO to termini by train, walk through termini Station and get taxi to your hotel are not difficult for healthy people even with luggage, however, if your wife is very pregnant at that time, I will recommend to hire the shuttle service(Excelsior site here had several recommendations of shuttle companies).
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, AA Gold
agree with redlancer... I stayed in the Excelsior a week ago on an award night. 12k vs 20k points did it for me.

Also, if I'd paid for the night (last minute booking), the Excelsior was actually higher priced. SR & Eden looked smaller & more personable, though... Excelsior was huge. Would definitely stay there again, though :-)
Old May 29, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
At this point, both the SR and the Excelsior are CAT6, requiring 20,000 points/night in August.

What would you recommend for my parents, who are Gold, and other relatives who have no status?

I am leaning towards the SR as with no expectation of an upgrade, I am thinking there is no bad room at the SR, whereas there may be a larger range of not so good and "better" rooms at the Excelsior.

I stayed at the Excelsior as a Platinum and got a great suite upgrade, and have a feeling they have more suites, but as a Gold or less without suite UG potential, I think the SR might be better.

My brother will be traveling with two children (boys, 13 and 15), and they might like the pool at the Excelsior, but they'd probably only use it once...?
Old May 30, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by nologic
At this point, both the SR and the Excelsior are CAT6, requiring 20,000 points/night in August.

What would you recommend for my parents, who are Gold, and other relatives who have no status?

I am leaning towards the SR as with no expectation of an upgrade, I am thinking there is no bad room at the SR, whereas there may be a larger range of not so good and "better" rooms at the Excelsior.

I stayed at the Excelsior as a Platinum and got a great suite upgrade, and have a feeling they have more suites, but as a Gold or less without suite UG potential, I think the SR might be better.

My brother will be traveling with two children (boys, 13 and 15), and they might like the pool at the Excelsior, but they'd probably only use it once...?
This question could also be posed in the "Rome: Which Hotel is Best" thread...but the question is best for what given what assumptions...so, I guess my question is which is best for Golds and below on award stays?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:51 pm

bump up
Old Jun 27, 2011, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
When do they load the rooms for the St. Regis and Westin into the SPG reservation system? I am trying to book a room for April 2012 and the calendar at spg.com does not seem to extend beyond March 31.

Strange, as there is no problem making a reservation at the other lesser SPG properties in Rome.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:06 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
When do they load the rooms for the St. Regis and Westin into the SPG reservation system? I am trying to book a room for April 2012 and the calendar at spg.com does not seem to extend beyond March 31.

Strange, as there is no problem making a reservation at the other lesser SPG properties in Rome.
I've noticed this in the past when trying to book the Excelsior a year in advance. And I've also noticed, and mentioned in one of the Excelsior's threads that once at first load in they'd have crazy rates (prepaid rates that were much more than the BAR, etc). But eventually they would load in correct rates, and of course since they use a dynamic reservation system the best BARs were available initially, and then as the hotel received bookings and the arrival time approached, the BARs would get steeper and steeper.

If you're using points I imagine an SPG phone rep could book it now. And it's always recommended to make your points booking as soon as you have the points - so you're protected if they then raise the requirement. Also, in the past there were some years when I booked a year in advance, that they wouldn't have loaded in the low/high peak season dates so I was able to get the low season rate, which would later require the high season points to subsequent travelers. (And I'm not talking about when SPG temporarily stopped their low/high seasons). I eventually mentioned these anomalies to the hotel and they said it was due to different computer systems used by them and SPG and that they, of course, had done everything correctly.

So yes, my experience with the Excelsior atleast is that their efficiency with updating SPG.com sometimes was lacking, but then again, I ended up benefitting from this on several occasions. (Because whatever I booked thru SPG.com would always be honored).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.