Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard by Marriott London Gatwick Airport, UK [Master Thread]

Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold

We stayed at the Gatwick Courtyard last night before a flight this morning. When we got to our room we found that the air conditioning wasn't working. We checked with reception and were told it wasn't working in all bedrooms. They gave us 10000 points as compensation.

Having subsequently had a very warm, mostly sleepless night we're irritated that they didn't tell us in advance, or at least at check in. If we'd known we'd have preferred to stay elsewhere.

We're also new to Bonvoy, so we're also wondering what the going rate for compensation for this sort of thing is?

Edit: Now this has been re-titled as the master thread for this hotel, I feel like I should add a bit more about the hotel: it's a fairly standard airport hotel. If the air-con was working the rooms would be comfortable, and spacious (we were upgraded to a Premium King). It's 10 minutes easy walk to the South terminal, although South terminal is currently out of use - there's a transit system from South to North. The restaurant is currently shut due to Covid, but there's food available from the bar - again, fairly standard airport hotel fare.

Last edited by omk298; Oct 16, 2020 at 4:34 pm
Old Oct 15, 2020, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think that's quite generous. Were you able to open the windows/turn off the heating? I wasn't there but how hot could a room be when it's in the single digits at night?
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
10,000 points is very generous. I have stayed in hotels recently where the fridge didnt work, the tv worked intermittently, no bathrobes, coffee maker broken, internet non existent, rubbish left under the bed. Compensation?? Zero. I am Lifetime Titanium and that made no difference
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many buildings, not just hotels, in Europe shutdown air conditioning for the season in mid October. You did well with 10K points. I have stayed at Sheraton in Italy in mid October without air conditioning and I got zip.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 8:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The windows don't open at the Gatwick Courtyard. On my one (and only) stay there, the ventilation/aircon system was unable to supply enough fresh air and maintain a comfortably cool sleeping temperature.

The prime reason for staying at an airport hotel is to have a good nights sleep before departure, so I have considerable sympathy for the OP and consider 10,000 points (1/3 of the number needed for a free night here) to be at the low end of acceptable.

Originally Posted by stuartpig
I have stayed in hotels recently where the fridge didn’t work, the tv worked intermittently, no bathrobes, coffee maker broken, internet non existent, rubbish left under the bed. Compensation?? Zero.
Not getting any compo points for a string of significant service failures ? Call yourself a Flyertalker ?
stuartpig likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Oct 15, 2020 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 15, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The windows don't open at the Gatwick Courtyard. On my one (and only) stay there, the ventilation/aircon system was unable to supply enough fresh air and maintain a comfortably cool sleeping temperature.

The prime reason for staying at an airport hotel is to have a good nights sleep before departure, so I have considerable sympathy for the OP and consider 10,000 points (1/3 of the number needed for a free night here) to be at the low end of acceptable.

Not getting any compo points for a string of significant service failures ? Call yourself a Flyertalker ?
I remember the days when youd get 5,000 points as an apology for points not posting. Nowadays I never get anything for a valid complaint. I think it is partly because I am Lifetime Titanium and they assume they will keep my business however poor things are!!
Old Oct 15, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think that's quite generous. Were you able to open the windows/turn off the heating? I wasn't there but how hot could a room be when it's in the single digits at night?
The window looked onto an internal space and definitely didn't open. Surprisingly hot is the answer, definitely warmer and stuffier than it's comfortable to sleep in. The sign above the non-functional control said that it wasn't possible to turn the fan off, because it was needed to keep air circulating - they had managed it!

​​​​​​Thanks for the answers everyone - I accepted the first offer, and then started wondering.
​​​

Last edited by omk298; Oct 16, 2020 at 4:36 am
Old Nov 27, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Stayed here last weekend before an early flight so didn't get to try breakfast. Hotel is currently under renovation and main bar/restaurant area is closed off (with temporary facility in the atrium area where you order from a tablet placed on your table). I was upgraded to a renovated Junior Suite (although it really was just a larger room). It was very comfortable and well thought out; far better than the older rooms.

Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Shuttle bus?

Since this is the master thread, I was wondering if anybody knew whether there was a complimentary shuttle bus to the terminals, or if the Gatwick Hoppa is the only option?

Last edited by selachian; Jul 20, 2023 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 20, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy LTP
Originally Posted by selachian
Since this is the master thread, I was wondering if anybody knew whether there was a complimentary shuttle bus to the terminals, or if the Gatwick Hoppa is the only option?
My understanding is that it's just a short walk to LGW
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JCT001
My understanding is that it's just a short walk to LGW
Indeed - but with luggage that can become a bit unwieldy.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 7:04 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by selachian
It is a very short walk to the terminal, and IIRC, there is a covered walkway most (if not all) of the way. It certainly isn't worth paying to go on a Hopppa bus IMHO.

Nick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.