Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Night & Stay credits for New Year Stays (check-in in Dec, check-out in Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Question
For stays over the New Year, checking-in in December and checking-out in January, how are the stay credits and night credits accounted for ?

Answer
The stay credit goes to whichever year your stay began.
The night credits belong to whichever year each individual night begins.

Examples
Check in 30 Dec 2017, check out 1 Jan 2018 :
1 stay credit for 2017.
2 night credits for 2017.

Check in 31 Dec 2017, check out 2 Jan 2018 :
1 stay credit for 2017.
1 night credit for 2017 & 1 night credit for 2018.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Night & Stay credits for New Year Stays (check-in in Dec, check-out in Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Here is why I think there may still be a misunderstanding:

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
So does that mean I will get a credit towards my 2005 Elite status?
(from page 1 of thread)

If you need the stay to count towards your 2005 status (which goes through end of February 2006), the policy that William described, i.e., that the stay credit counts as occurring in 2004 because the stay started in 2004, is exactly what you want. @:-)

In other words, if you have 25 stays in 2004, that will earn you Platinum status starting from the time you completed the 25th stay (which is normally in 2004, except in this case), through all of 2005, through end of February 2006.

So, is that what you were looking for?
Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:39 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I am sorry I was not clear over stays vs nights. I was hoping to get my stary credit for 2005, not nights. I have renewed Plat status in 2004 for 2005, I just want to get a jump on making it again in 05. I do it every year on stays, not nights. Sorry I was not more explicit on this. Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 11:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
In deference to DoubleJ's inquiry, stays are treated differently than nights when it comes to promotion earning potential and status earning potential. It's a database thing.

I know it doesn't seem like it, but everything I have said related to stays and nights when it comes to status and promotions is correct and has been confirmed by the marketing gurus.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:00 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Thanks for clearing that up, William.

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Thanks for bringing it up and laying it out the way you did.
No problem. I had just been wondering as well.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA PLT
Question for Lurker

Lurker-

I'm having confusion. I understood from this thread that if I check in on 12/31 and check out on 1/1, I'll get a stay and night credit for 2004. That would be good, as I'll have 24 stays going into 12/31, and that stay from 12/31 to 1/1 will be my 25th of 2004 (and get me to Platinum).

Yet today I got the following in an email from SPG in response to the same question. In it, they say that checking in on 12/31 and out on 1/1 will get me a 2004 night, but a 2005 stay, which would leave me with only 24 stays for 2004, and not a Platinum member.

The email states "Please be advised, as you are checking in on December 31, 2004, the night you have stayed is the same. So the eligible night credit would be for 2004. However, a stay is only completed when you check out of the hotel. So the eligible stay credit would be for 2005"

So is my stay for 2004 or 2005?

Thanks for clarifying.

DFWILE
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
Night Credit for Stay over New Years

I have a stay booked this year from 12/26/05-1/1/06 and only need five more nights to make platinum this year. I'm worried though that my nights will be credited to 2006 rather than 2005 based on my checkout date. I've read through the T&C on SPG.com, but can't find anything about this. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to make sure the nights are credited correctly?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: US Chairmans Preferred, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver
What's a Calendar Year?

I have 21 stays ytd and 3 more booked for December. Plans are to maybe do a New Years Eve stay in a hotel in DC.

Will a stay from December 31st to January 1st count as my 25th stay qualifying me for Platinum... or should I just book a Four Points somewhere and make sure?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Esquire
I have 21 stays ytd and 3 more booked for December. Plans are to maybe do a New Years Eve stay in a hotel in DC.

Will a stay from December 31st to January 1st count as my 25th stay qualifying me for Platinum... or should I just book a Four Points somewhere and make sure?

Reader's Digest version - yes, it will count.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
end-of-year stay/night credit question.

if I check-in on December 31, 2006 and check-out on January 1,2007 does the night/stay credit count for 2006 or 2007? What if I check out January 2, 2007? I know there is a current thread,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621384

Mr. Lurker, can you clarify?

Last edited by sylaw72; Nov 5, 2006 at 11:30 pm
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Calender year question

Hi, I am calculating my status qualification for this calendar year. I may have only one stay short to the next level. Just wondering if my check in date is December 31 and check out on Jan 1, does this count as the last stay of 2007 or the first of 2008 for status calculation? Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2007, 11:49 pm

yes this will count for this year, this question comes up every year.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Section 4B2 in the SPG T&Cs:
"An "Eligible Stay" is one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property, whether or not you checked-out and checked back in, during which you paid an Eligible Rate and presented your Preferred Guest number at registration. An "Eligible Night" is each night during an Eligible Stay. All stays are deemed to occur on the date of arrival; however, nights within a stay belong to the month in which they occur."

This won't be the last time this gets asked this year.

Since this should've been included in our "Everything you wanted to know about status at SPG" thread, I've added the Q&A to one of my existing posts in that thread.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:44 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
year end stays?

If you check in on Dec 31 and out on Jan 1, does the credit for the stay go towards your 08 status, or 09 status? I am looking at topping up my Plat status and need an extra credit.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Nov 24, 2008 at 10:58 am Reason: Created FAQ on topic and added this post
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:14 am

Q: Do stays over New Years Eve ( December 31 NYE ) count in the old year or the new year? What about the nights?

A: Section 4B2 in the SPG T&Cs:
"An "Eligible Stay" is one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property, whether or not you checked-out and checked back in, during which you paid an Eligible Rate and presented your Preferred Guest number at registration. An "Eligible Night" is each night during an Eligible Stay. All stays are deemed to occur on the date of arrival; however, nights within a stay belong to the month in which they occur." So the stay will count in the old year. If the stay and night credits fail to credit according to the T&C's description for some reason and you want them to do so, file a Customer Service complaint to get them corrected.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:20 am

Thanks very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.