Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Late Checkout Policy

We are pleased to accommodate late checkouts upon request and subject to availability. Late checkouts between 12pm and 6pm are as follows:
  • For Deluxe City View, Premium City View, Premium Twin Tower View and Executive Club Rooms - a charge of 50 MYR per hour applies:
  • Westin Suite and One Bedroom Executive Residences - a charge of 100 MYR per hour applies.
  • After 6pm, the full room rate applies.
  • Fees are subject to tax and service charge.
Print Wikipost

Westin Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Master Thread)

Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Westin Kuala Lumpur

Last weekend I stayed in Westin KL and I think I would like to give you heads up on the following:
Westin KL have 2 kinds of rooms: facing city center (twin tower view) and facing opposite direction (city view). twin tower view "obviously" being more expensive.

I had a reservation there for 2 nights from sep 2 to sep 4... didnt want to pay additional MYR 40 ($11) a night for an opportunity to see city center, I have booked myself in a room with "city view".
In the check-in I was upgraded to "twin tower" view and was told that it has "much better view"... Apparently what they don't tell you (neither on site nor at the check-in) is that together with the view at "spectacular KLCC Twin Towers" you also receive a view at huge construction site across the street from the hotel... construction noise could be heard more or less all the day long starting well before 9am.
Being waken up by construction activities on lovely saturday morning I went down to enquire why I was not informed about such deficiency of my room on the check-in and whether I shall consider moving to another room.
Check-in staff was apologetic and offered 750 starpoints as a compensation, but have also assured that exchange is not necessary as construction people do not work Sundays... Well, they lied.

I feel that 750 points is not a fair compensation for 2 disrupted mornings and obvious lies, so I will follow up directly with SPG... if Starwood Lurker is interested in more details he can PM me and I could even provide photo of "spectacular" view from my room.

Last note to consider: if one is afraid of heights this hotel could not be recommended for staying as there are no rooms lower than 15 floor and room windows spans entire wall from top to bottom.

Otherwise very nice hotel, a lot of dining options - local as well as European. In case someone would be missing European food while in Malaysia, Qba restaurant could be recommended for fine Spanish food.

AX
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:05 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Stayed there as a Plat last May. Got a gorgeous suite on a high floor, with Twin Towers view... and of course, access to the executive lounge where they serve snacks/drinks/breakfast.

Would go back there anytime.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rcs85551
Stayed there as a Plat last May. Got a gorgeous suite on a high floor, with Twin Towers view... and of course, access to the executive lounge where they serve snacks/drinks/breakfast.

I had the exact same benefit last year when I was a PLAT. I too would stay there again on any future trips. Great location and overall a great experience.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I got the same treatment as above as a Platinum. They even allowed me to stay in the lounge past my checkout time since my flight wasn't leaving till 7pm.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:48 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The thread was started in Dec 2003, three month after the opening. At lesat in Oct 2004 they know the late check-out benefit, but I did not get an upgrade, not even Petronas Tower View. I got the option to stay in the lounge, too, but did not need it. Beside this, it is a really nice hotel and I would return (and will return) definitively.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I have been to this hotel several times and was always given an SPG Platinum suite upgrade. On one occasion I had some difficulty receiving phone international phone calls on the fax line. The head operator and a technician arrived in my room and solved the problem in no time.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by rcs85551

Likewise -- last November, as a PLT
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:25 pm
Suspended

I spoke to one of the Front Desk agents a year ago and she was very evasive when I enquired about the hotel policy on upgrading Platinums to suites; and she did mutter something like they dont upgrade Platinums anymore.

There were also a few reports then from other FT members who didnt get a suite upgrade which led me to the conclusion that they no longer upgrade Platinums. From the posts above it appears that I was wrong.

I do find the suites there to be very comfortable and its a big step up from their regular rooms though view from the suites are somewhat restricted.

However, I am not impressed with their Executive Lounge.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by meremale
I will be staying at the Westin KL next week.
First time as a Platinum - let's see what benefits they'll give.
Previously, stayed as a Gold - nothing much.
Just check-in yesterday. As I arrived quite early (9am), no room was available yet. No problem, I'll have a full day of meetings anyway. Left my luggage with the staff and will collect the keys later in the evening.

6pm. Got the room keys. Was neither given an upgraded room, nor was my luggage put in the room. Also, there was a nasty smoke smell. Went back down to complain.

After a couple of minutes of waiting, was given a new room (in the Residence wing). It's a beautiful spacious 1-bedroom apartment. Maybe it helped I'm staying for about 10days ??
And aslo, was confirmed that I am allowed access to the Executive Lounge on the 33rd floor.

Sweet !!!!

I guess I lucked out this time round. Now, I wonder if I were to come back next month, hoping for the same.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Westin Kl

We checked in late Friday 17 November for two night points stay (3,000 per night), had to wait quite a lomng time (only one staff on at 1am), asked for upgrade to suite, reply was running quite full, however, front deak obliged, received suite upgrade, with executive club access, good food spread as well as alcohol, bfast ok too, not as good as Kl Hilton, but position superb, 500 tarpoints amenity posted within 24 hrs as well. Manager apologised for wait at check in, sent complimertary noodle supper up, internet 50% discount.No fruit basket, but compl water (2 bttles per day). Unfortunate experience in night, woken by something crawling accross my face, flicked it off, next mn found huge cockroach on floor (not quite dead) alserted housekeeing, scary!!!
Originally Posted by mario33
I was on the phone with the Reservations Manager today requesting for a 3pm late check-out. In putting forward my case I mentioned that since they did not even upgrade my room, they should at least grant me my other SPG Gold benefit which is late check-out.

To my surprise, I was told that SPG Gold members are NOT entitled to any room upgrade and late check-out is not possible due to high occupancy.

He added that he would put himself at "risk" by allowing me to check-out at 2.30 pm and reminded me that housekeeping will move in at 2.30pm sharp to clean the room for the next guest. A quick check on the Starwood website indicated that the hotel is far from running at full occupancy !

Although I have read in another post that a fellow Flyertalker who is SPG Gold had a minor upgrade, I will be very curious to know whether other Gold members have had that privilege.

Also has any Platinum member been upgraded to a suite at this property?
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Westin KL 2007

Excutive club floor room/suite :
NO MORE - free internet
NO MORE - free laundry
NO MORE - free local calls
NO MORE - discounts when dining at restaurants.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 5:21 am
Suspended

NO MORE - free internet
NO MORE - free laundry
Not sure whether its related but ownership of this property changed hands recently.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 3:09 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
NO MORE - free internet
NO MORE - free laundry
Is there still free internet access on the 2 computers in the lounge? I have booked a Westin suite for 5 nites at the end of April

In preparation for an upcoming photo trip report I would like to post on FT, I have been practising uploading picutes to a free website...I thought I would post the album of some pics taken when I stayed at the Westin KL suite a couple years back@:-)

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2095197079

Last edited by kpc; Feb 24, 2007 at 3:29 am Reason: Adding pictures froma previous stay
Old Feb 24, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
My take on this hotel is that they have staff that is indifferent to stay problems that could arise. I stayed here one night in november. Got in at about 11.30 pm. Check -in was ok. Ordered late supper ( a soup) which came with stale smelly bread!. next morning at about 4.00 am an alarm goes on in the next room and keeps going for two hours till lobby manager switches it off. Seemed like someone had set the alarm and then checked out. Spoiled my night and day!. No apology from the hotel even when I mentioned this at check out.

I escalated by email and front office manager who responded said they never got a complaint like this etc etc. Escalated to SPG and got comp points.

The rooms are larger than the Hilton, which I use as well and the location convenient for me. But they have a busy and very small front desk lobby and indifferent service.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Plat - SPG Plat - DL Gold - CO Gold
Originally Posted by mario33
I was on the phone with the Reservations
Also has any Platinum member been upgraded to a suite at this property?
I have stayed twice as platinum, once over new years with upgrade to club level and once in mid January with upgrade to a suite. I have no problems with getting platinum status recognition. It did require 3 seperate visits to reception to get a Best Rate Garuntee honored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.