Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Sign in using an external account

Closed Thread

Old Apr 29, 02, 12:35 pm   #1

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Arrow Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain (pre 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

I am planning a weekend trip to San Sebastian (THE place to go if you're a fine food addict like me), either June or September .
Anyone stayed there?
How well do they treat Platinum SPG's?
Old Apr 29, 02, 6:36 pm   #2

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
I'll stay there next Saturday, and will write a review afterwards (no info about Platinum upgrades - only Gold)
Old May 5, 02, 6:56 pm   #3

Just back from San Sebastian. Maria Cristina Hotel is a great Starwood property in an unbeatable location in this wonderful city.
Rooms are large and comfortable. They have some specially appointed "SPG rooms" (they have a specific mark in the door), but I think the main difference between these rooms and the others is probably just the view. I'm Gold and didn't get any other upgrade, but room was quite ok, with also a large marble bathroom (with two basins, separate bath/shower, and a door between toilette and the rest of the bathroom).
When we arrived, they couldn't find our reservation, but they managed it quite quickly. Very friendly staff and also very good breakfast buffet (including champagne, caviar and salmon).
If you go to San Sebastian, don't even ask for any other hotel (and if you go to the Northeast of Spain, don't even think of another city!).
We didn't try the hotel restaurant, because San Sebastian and sorroundings have some of the best restaurants in Spain (Arzak, Akelarre, Martin Berasategui, Elcano,....)
Old Sep 12, 02, 12:57 am   #4

As a Platinum I was upgraded to a roof access
suite,beautiful view.
San Sebastian is probably the classiest beach
city in Spain.
Hotel is much recommended.
Old Sep 12, 02, 11:19 am   #5

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Agreed. Class hotel, great city. As Platinum I was also upgraded to a roof access suite.

------------------
Have passport, will travel...
CLD, LAX, LHR, CDG, et.al.

[This message has been edited by World20 (edited 09-12-2002).]
Old Mar 5, 03, 7:46 pm   #6

Hotel Maria Cristina, St Sebastian

I have read from previous posts that some Flyertalkers have been to the Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian. What is the best way to get there? Should I fly into Bilbao and then drive/take taxi, drive from France, or take a train from Madrid? Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 03, 9:20 pm   #7

Programs: LH Senator; UA 1K MM (but not many flights on UA); AA EXP; BA Silver; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I drove up from Madrid. I don't remember exactly, but it was 3-4 hours on a well-maintained tollway.

Then drove to Bilbao (about an hour, as I recall) to see the Guggenheim (look at the architecture and ignore the exhibits).
Old Mar 5, 03, 11:16 pm   #8

I took the overnight train down from Paris - very comfortable. I then took the train to Bilbao to see the museum (second the assessment that the architecture and not the art is the draw). From Bilbao took the overnight train to Madrid - very very comfortable. San Sebastian was beautiful and very charming - enjoy!
Old Mar 6, 03, 6:57 am   #9

UpInTheAir,

It all depends on your travel plans, and where are you coming from. There is a small airport at San Sebastian, but only with Iberia flights to/from Madrid or Barcelona. Iberia is in Oneworld, so you could probably also find some combination with AA.
Anyway, Bilbao is also near (about 45 min. drive), and there you have direct connections with London, Paris or Milan (but not with the US). Driving from Madrid to San Sebastian would be around 4 or 4.5 hours (a quite good motorway), and more or less the same from Barcelona (perhaps a little bit more).
San Sebastian is wonderful a the Maria Cristina a great hotel, so I hope you'll have a very nice time there.
Old Jul 15, 03, 10:37 am   #10

Hotel Maria Cristina - Trip Report

I was in San Sebastin, Spain recently and did a one night Points & Euros stay at the Hotel Maria Cristina. I'm Gold btw.

The hotel is gorgeous, with a fantastic view of the water and city. The staff is very courteous. We were upgraded to a huge suite with an enormous balcony overlooking the water. I've stayed in plenty of hotels in Europe, and I'm accustomed to the shoe box sized rooms that even the luxury hotels have...this room was gargantuan even by U.S. standards. The bathroom alone was larger than the entire room at the Prince de Galles we had earlier this year, ha!

Needless to say, I highly recommend this hotel. We stayed there, and then made an early morning drive to Pamplona to run with the bulls. It's only about a 45 minute drive and San Sebastian is much quieter, cleaner and less crowded than Pamplona during the Festival de San Fermin.
Old Jul 15, 03, 10:43 am   #11
Suspended

sounds spectacular. thanks for the trip report. it's so nice when the hotel staff is so nice.
Old Jul 15, 03, 3:54 pm   #12

It is indeed one of the greatest hotels I've been at. Their treatment to Platinums is superb, with upgrades to magnificent suites. But the standard rooms are also ery, very nice. The city is beautiful, with some of the best restaurants in Spain (and that means some of the best in Europe).
Old Oct 6, 03, 4:02 pm   #13

The hotel is simply EXCELLENT, and they give the best treatment to Platinum members. They also will give you wonderful recommendations about restaurants. Location is just perfect. I really love the Maria Cristina. It's one of my favourite places to stay.
Anyway, perhaps you should call them in advance, because they are having some problems with unions, and the hotel has suffered a strike during the film festival just a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if the strike is over yet, so my recommendation would be asking the hotel if it's still going on and if they can asure you the wonderful level of service they are used to provide.
Old Oct 6, 03, 5:03 pm   #14

The hotel treats plats very well. I was upgraded to a suite on the top floor with balcony. I received, as a plat amenity, a fruit plate and a 1/2 bottle of wine. However, the hotel (and others too) tends to be full whenever there are major events (such as Gastronomy Week in late May), so I'm not sure what sort of upgrade you would receive.
Old Oct 6, 03, 5:22 pm   #15

Even if the hotel is full and you don't receive any upgrade, the standard rooms (and the bathrooms) are much better IMHO than most of the rooms you can find anywhere else.

Closed Thread