Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain (pre 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain (pre 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: plenty
Great Hotel!

We just stayed 6 nights at the MC. As Platinum got upgraded to a very nice 1BR suite. The Hotel is magnificient, much nicer than for example the Gritti Palace in Venice.
Food at the Asian Restaurant was good and very reasonably priced.
The ladies from the Guest Service Center did a great job, made excellent restaurant reservations for us and were really extremely nice and efficient.
Everybody was very friendly, from arrival to check out.
This is a Starwood hotel I can honestly recommend, even before the upcoming renovation.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Free/cheap parking

Originally Posted by PatMike
Has anyone found cheaper parking than at the hotel ?

I heard that there is free parking near the university, with easy bus access to the Maria Chrstina.

Any info would be appreciated.
Bump. Still interested. Saw info somewhere on FT but can't find it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Another wonderful stay at the Maria Christina.. was upgraded to a junior suite with large terrace on the last floor, beautiful room, beautiful view and as always great service. Really a great property
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:54 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Bump. Still interested. Saw info somewhere on FT but can't find it.
I found this info, and I believe this information is what you want:

<<If you have a hire car and are coming to San Sebastian for more than a day, park your car for free at one of the car parks off Avenida de tolosa next to the University (to the west of the city centre) and get the 5 or 25 Donostia Bus service into town (€1.20 /single). Otherwise 24hr underground garages in the centre cost about €13/day and there is no long term street parking anywhere near the city centre.

Universidad del Pais Vasco, Avenida de Tolosa, San Sebastian-Donostia>>

This is the info in 2008, and now the city underground parking would be around 20 euro.

I stayed at this hotel in last April through FHR rate.
I got a corner huge 1BR suite facing square and river/ocean(far).
Living room is rounded with sofas and center dining table.
It was not a modern suite(that is why they make renovation soon), but very spacious with a lot of windows.
Since I had 80 Euro dining credit, we had a dinner at Cafe Saigon and could not spend all so we enjoyed afternoon cafe at Bar, too.

I really enjoyed the stay!

For parking, I saw underground parking just in front of the hotel. I prefer the convenience so if I were you, I just park there and pay for it.

Last edited by Tak; Aug 16, 2011 at 9:17 pm
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by couscous
Another wonderful stay at the Maria Christina.. was upgraded to a junior suite with large terrace on the last floor, beautiful room, beautiful view and as always great service. Really a great property
That's why I selected it for my SPG card. Classically superb property!
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Has anyone found cheaper parking than at the hotel ?

I heard that there is free parking near the university, with easy bus access to the Maria Chrstina.

Any info would be appreciated.
I have stayed there on two occasions and used their valet parking both times; last time three years ago. Whilst I don't remember the exact price I considered the parking fee reasonable with in/out privileges and valets that unlike in the *US do not expect an arm and a leg in tips every time...
Parking in SS is elsewise extremely difficult with the local traffic wardens obviously on a commision (And believe me; I AM used to Spanish double-or triple parking.) Do NOT try creative parking nearby any public buildings, the local authorities still have ETA awareness and will have you towed away within 5 minutes..
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I did too !!! This was our third stay there.. love that property and the region.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Re: Parking

I received this from the hotel....

Good morning,

We offer to our guest the posibility to park their car in the public parking located in front of the Hotel Maria Cristina.

Our guest can park it theirselves and they have to pay the rate in the parking machine 22,7 Euros by day.
On the other hand, we can park the car in the same public parking and charge 22,70 Euros by day + 18% taxes plus 8 Euros + 8% taxes for the valet service.

Concerning the University free spaces parking, kindly note that it is located in the suburbs of the city and it´s a long way from the hotel.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you need any assistance

Best regards
Almudena Calderón
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1P, Hertz PC
Stayed at the Maria Christina for 5 nights on points (5th night free) for our honeymoon in July.

I am a SPG Plat and I also indicated to the SPG concierge that we would be traveling on our honeymoon. She contacted the hotels where we would be staying to request an upgrade on our behalf as well.

We were upgraded to a terrace suite on the top floor with a large outdoor terrace. The hotel is quite nice and "grand". The rooms and hotel are somewhat aged, but this did not take away from our experience and enjoyment of the property. I can see why they are doing a rehab to bring the hotel in line with modern Luxury Collection standards.

The spa area is nice, we did not take advantage of any of the services, but did enjoy the steam room / sauna / hot tub.

The location of the property is great and San Sebastian is a wonderful place to visit. We drove from Nice, dropped off the car in Irun, and took the Euskotren in.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 5:32 pm
Community Director Emerita

The hotel will be closed between October 9 and June 30, 2012, for refurbishment.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...=86#conditions
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt DMD
Simply the best SPG property I have stayed at as a PLAT, amazing upgrade and San Sebastian is a phenomenal destination. Can't wait for the renovation!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Status

Any news regarding the renovation calendar? Are the on schedule??
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:46 pm

As did I! I've had the great pleasure staying at the Maria Cristina for the past 15 years when attending the San Sebastian Jazz Festival (Jazzaldia) in late July. I hope they re-open the property in time!

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Old May 17, 2012, 2:57 pm

Just received an email from the property:

Dear Customer,

As you know, last October 9th, we closed our doors to address a deep refurbishment with the aim to improve our decor, facilities and services in order to be ready for the celebration of our centenary in the best conditions. With this renovation, we are enhancing the Belle Epoque style, giving it a warmer, more “feminine” touch that will allow us not only to maintain, but strength our leadership as a preferred stay in San Sebastian.

The process is all going according to plan, so we are able to ensure we’ll back in full operation on July 6th.

The hotel management and sales staff continue working from temporary offices to handle any request, room bookings and events for dates after the hotel re-opening through our phone number: 943 43 76 00 or contacting us by email at [email protected]

We would be delighted that you were one of the first to enjoy the benefits and innovations of the new Hotel Maria Cristina. We are working to make your experience with us as enjoyable as possible.

We’ll wait you from July 6th
Old May 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

Re: One of the Best SPG Properties

I stayed here in May 2011 ... it had the best room, best views and best service that I have received at any SPG property. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.