Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New Orleans [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New Orleans [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ckg1999
All,

Going here next Thur-Sun. Completely sold out on the 26th. Would love to get a suite. I know I shouldn't rely on an upgrade, but what are my chances? If terrible, I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the Governer suite or executive suite here and if it's worth spending $699 for the suite.

Thanks for the input and cant wait to get back down to NOLA!

I would say depends on occupancy. However, NoLa isn't a city you sit around in your room.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
All,

Going here next Thur-Sun. Completely sold out on the 26th. Would love to get a suite. I know I shouldn't rely on an upgrade, but what are my chances? If terrible, I was wondering if anyone has stayed in the Governer suite or executive suite here and if it's worth spending $699 for the suite.

I was there last summer and the hotel seemed pretty full with conference/convention goers, but I have no idea if they were indeed sold out. I was upgraded to a suite that was decent, but not amazing. On a three night stay, your chances will be less than my one night stay. They did pre-block me into my room and it showed up two or three days prior on SPG.com so you may have a good idea prior to check-in. As Cheap Elite will tell you, "book what you want."
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

I would say depends on occupancy. However, NoLa isn't a city you sit around in your room.
Very very true! Just looking at a way to have the group in one suite with a connecting room, rather than three rooms.

What benefits are in the club level lounge here? Assume free breakfast and LIGHT apps in the evening. Cocktails included?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 3:59 pm

Very very true! Just looking at a way to have the group in one suite with a connecting room, rather than three rooms.

What benefits are in the club level lounge here? Assume free breakfast and LIGHT apps in the evening. Cocktails included?
I'm pretty sure there weren't any cocktails included. Evening fare was fruit and cheese. Pretty basic. Servers seemed pretty high mileage and rough around the edges. They seemed more interested in getting people to sign folios (and tip). I think they had danishes, fruit, and bagels in the am, but I'm honestly not sure. We probably went out for beignets.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP - CK, DL PM, *Wood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
... We probably went out for beignets.
That's exactly what I am planning on doing. How far of a walk to Bourbon st? 5 mins?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:19 pm

That's exactly what I am planning on doing. How far of a walk to Bourbon st? 5 mins?
You can probably be anywhere in the FQ within 5-10 minutes depending on how long it takes to get across Canal St.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
You can probably be anywhere in the FQ within 5-10 minutes depending on how long it takes to get across Canal St.
Agreed! Google Maps is your friend.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 5:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
All,

For the amount of time you'll be in your room in NOLA, I can't imagine any room is worth $699 a night.

As a SPG Plat, I've stayed at the Sheraton NOLA about eight times during the past three years and have been upgraded to a suite seven of those times.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT

No, you pay for alcohol, just pop and coffee.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
I wasn't aware self-park was an option at this property unless you park on the street or in lots not associated with the Sheraton New Orleans.
According to the Sheraton website, you're correct:
Valet parking service only is available to our guests, we do not offer self-parking
It's a scam to "justify" out-sized and outlandish parking rates.

I'm trying to find out the location of the open air lot for $10. A Google Map did show a covered Central Parking System lot at 365 Canal St corner 102 N Peters St which their website shows is $20-$25 per day, and that's not the one.

Of course from 6pm Saturday night to 8am Monday morning street parking is free at meters; at other times apparently it's a $20 fine to park with an expired meter.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This property went downhill

I booked this hotel for a 5-night stay without paying much attention to TripAdvisor or other reviews due to a great post-Katrina experience 4 years ago. Boy have things changed fast!

Positives
  • Platinum upgrade to a river view junior suite -- very much appreciated
  • Platinum free internet, and the internet is fast
  • Platinum free breakfast--but not in the club, at the 2nd floor restaurant
  • Excellent bedding
  • Recently upgraded energy-saving elevator control system that works well
  • Convenient location

Negatives
  • Club lounge operation an embarrassment: closed for breakfast (no awesome view, a highlight of our last stay), closed during the day, open for 3 hours only for cocktails offering only nuts and pretzels
  • Breakfast food quality is foodservice-grade; not the worse, but certainly not fresh
  • Tired interiors
  • Room servicing looked rushed
  • Did not replenish shampoo two days in a row; we ran out of it
  • Lobby has strong fungal smell (is it hazardous?)
  • This is (was?) a 4-star hotel, yet papers are not delivered to the room and they run out of Wall Street Journals before 8am!
  • Parking is allegedly city's most expensive, valet only, and at one point saw 7 groups of people waiting for their car
  • Starbucks in lobby charges 30% more than standard and than company-owned store 2 blocks away
  • Wait for baggage help over 15 minutes until we gave up (and checked out on an off-peak day)

Overall, this place is squeezing its reputation and has significantly slipped. I did not realize that the Whyndham next door is now a Westin, and will definitely consider that property (or a non-SPG one) next time.

Interestingly, Travelocity gives it a category of 4.5 stars, AAA rates it 4 diamonds, while Expedia, TripAdvisor and Hotels.com give it 3.5 stars. I would not give any more than 3.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Can anyone comment on the noise level in this hotel, being in the French Quarter? I'm planning on bringing a toddler and would like him to sleep. How high a floor do I need to request to get some peace and quiet?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmorgans
Can anyone comment on the noise level in this hotel, being in the French Quarter? I'm planning on bringing a toddler and would like him to sleep. How high a floor do I need to request to get some peace and quiet?
It is not in the French Quarter is more in the CBD. I stay here every year during Mardi Gras and I have slept thru a parade before. The windows don't open so it is industrial strength building glass.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
One night stay. Upgraded prior to arrival to Jr Suite. Nice check-in no line or wait. Evening club lounge is lacking (fruit and cheese only...no drinks I could find). Breakfast was served in restaurant - we were told we could order off the menu or get the "buffet". Score! Breakfast was awesome (French Toast for me and Omelette for Ms Singtx). Nice service and the final check-out bill did not have breakfast on it.

I would stay here again.

LR
http://twitpic.com/2kcy3t

Bar Area
http://twitpic.com/2kcyd9

Lobby
http://twitpic.com/2kf7n5

Last edited by singtx; Sep 7, 2010 at 7:47 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I don't see a junior suite listed on their website. I see Executive Suite, Club Level Exec, Governor's Suite, and 2 Presidential Suites. Can anyone tell me what the junior suite is? I'm guessing just a larger room since they have so many types of suites.

Also, anyone stay in the Governor's Suite before?

I'm going weekend after this one and am looking to set up a few of my friends with this hotel so we're all in one place. They're all SPG members of some level so am hoping a few of them will be upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.