Stay not posted?

Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Stay not posted?

Recently had a stay at Sheraton Catania - during check out my wife paid the stay with the credit card under her name. Is that the issue why the stay was not posted? I remember I saw a post about this in the forum but I could not find it...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Recently had a stay at Sheraton Catania - during check out my wife paid the stay with the credit card under her name. Is that the issue why the stay was not posted? I remember I saw a post about this in the forum but I could not find it...
If you are the elite member and the reservation was under your name and elite number, then if your wife paid the bill with a credit card under her name then technically you would not receive credit.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by controller1
If you are the elite member and the reservation was under your name and elite number, then if your wife paid the bill with a credit card under her name then technically you would not receive credit.
why is it the case? I think whoever paid the bill does not really matter right, since I reserved the room (actually points + cash) and I personally checked in...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
why is it the case? I think whoever paid the bill does not really matter right, since I reserved the room (actually points + cash) and I personally checked in...
Read the T&Cs and you will find: Member must stay and pay for the room to get credit.

This was a big deal a few years back and I believe SPG did give in for spouses to be able to pay the and credit issued. I suggest contacting SPG and file a missing stay claim. Hopefully they will cause it to go through.

At one point FDCs were also claiming using a corporate CC negated getting credit, especially if the company name appeared on the card. I do believe that was dealt with ages ago.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sorry, but your [our] ideas about how the program should be run are interesting, but that's it. It's Starwood's program, and Starwood gets to make the rules. They are clear and set out for all to see. If they don't work for us, we are free to vote with our feet, as many FTers do.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Understanding the rules is 80% of the game.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
One thing you could do in the future, is have your spouse add you as an authorized user on their credit card. This way the hotel sees that you have provided a form of payment under your name, but the bill could go to the party that wants to pay.

I'm sure someone on this forum will fame me, as this could be considered a violation of the T&C of the program, but it seems like it would create an easy fix to this problem if it were to occur in the future.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by donotblink
One thing you could do in the future, is have your spouse add you as an authorized user on their credit card. This way the hotel sees that you have provided a form of payment under your name, but the bill could go to the party that wants to pay.

I'm sure someone on this forum will fame me, as this could be considered a violation of the T&C of the program, but it seems like it would create an easy fix to this problem if it were to occur in the future.
Actually, SPG should have no clue if your are an authorized user on the member's CC, and I hope the CC does not release that info. At least all cards that I have seen only list the user's name and does not show the account holder's name. Some FDCs use to state no credit if you used a corporate card that had their name on it.

It's not reported, but I'm guessing the spouse's last name did not match the member and that prompted the FDC to flag the account. With a little luck SPG will correct this event. Personally, I rarely stop by the front desk when leaving. If the bill (viewed on TV, eMail, or under the door) is correct, there's usually no need. This is especially the case if I'm parked outside the back/side door.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.