Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mustika Jogyakarta / Jogjakarta / Yogyakarta, Java Indonesia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Mustika Jogyakarta / Jogjakarta / Yogyakarta, Java Indonesia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cln
The lagoon rooms / hallways getting new paint maybe beeing refurbished so they were not available during our stay ( although available on SPG.com ) The lagoon pool had nice colour and i would have preferred a lagoon room instead of a Junior Suite.
Which rooms that you are upgraded to ? And yes, Lagoon Pool room is nice. I stayed there on Lagoon Suite; the room is huge and I have lagoon pool access behind. Seems like nobody were allocated on lagoon rooms on the same wing during my stay so feels like that lagoon pool were exclusively for me on that time.

I stayed there on early September 2014. When did you stay here ?

Originally Posted by cln
I can only recommend Yogyakarta for a couple of nights. We did the Vulcano Jeep tour and visited the temples @ Boromdur or whatever it's called
It is called BOROBUDUR and it is at #25 on AbsoluteVisit List. http://www.absolutevisit.com/travel/Borobudur/
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:12 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
we stayed feb 15 there
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Had a one night stay here in December and it was a good overall experience.

Hotel welcome at check in was warm and was upgraded to a Club room. The lounge was small but the evening spread had a couple of hot dishes that were sufficient for dinner.

Indoor swimming pool was quite small and very cold, whilst the outdoor pool was murky.

The rate included breakfast and an hour massage at the hotel spa so overall was pleased with the value of this stay.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I just spent three nights here and it was easily my worst hotel stay of the year.

The hotel is old and run-down, and although a light refurb seems to have taken place in the past decade, the underlying infrastructure is falling apart.

Wireless internet doesn't work in most of the rooms and common areas including the club. I had a bit of work to do (checking email and sending word documents, so no major data use); not possible with the Sheraton wifi.

I spent the better part of a day waiting for them to fix the internet, which involved having a technician set up various fixes (that didn't work), then moving to a new room (which had slightly better internet, but the toilet didn't flush, the shower was stuck on scalding hot water), then moving again to another room without working internet connection. It's not that they weren't trying, but they just couldn't do it (for whatever reason). Most annoyingly, they just kept telling me, no worries, it'll be done in 1/2 hour.

The hotel is of course very cheap -- for my dates, rack rate was 1m rupees, z3r was 733k, and I had a BRG of under $50 -- and the upgrade to a ~900sqft junior suite makes it good value on paper. I suppose most people don't come here to use the internet, and if you're just visiting Borobudur etc, this hotel may be a fine option given the rates. Just go in with the right expectations:

- The rooms are filthy. You'll find hair, dead bugs, and small pieces of trash on the floor, towels are grey not white, and the bed and pillows have a musty/moldy smell. Disgusting! I always laugh when I see Tripadvisor pictures (often posted by outraged Germans) "zee rooms weren't clean," and I almost never complain, but in this case, it was bad -- these rooms haven't been given a good deep clean in a long time.

- The staff are very friendly, but not helpful or competent. Language wasn't an issue, but expect them to overpromise and forget. Time estimates are quoted in ++ time. The GM is a bit of a dud; we ran into him several times and he never even said hello.

- The club lounge was deserted. In three nights and mornings, we only saw four other people. They do set out a fairly decent evening and morning spread (enough for a light dinner and basically a full breakfast, with eggs and waffles etc cooked on demand and delivered to the table). We were told repeatedly, Plat breakfast in the club only, not restaurant. They stocked the in-room minibar with some free soft drinks, and had a cake waiting on arrival; nice touches.

- The hotel is far from town. There's nothing in walking distance, a large mall about 3km away, and Malioboro a 20-30min shuttle/cab ride. I prefer being closer to the action, but I guess they call it a resort, so maybe it's fine for most guests. On-site options are limited, although the food was mostly decent and fairly reasonably priced.

- Expect lots of noise from prayer calls (the 4am one being the worst), roosters (joining the fun at 4am), and construction. Not the hotel's fault, but we didn't sleep well (likely also attributable to the awful pillows and bedding).

We considered leaving, with the Hyatt being a potential refuge, but according to the reviews in that thread, it's not a whole lot better.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by jpdx
I just spent three nights here and it was easily my worst hotel stay of the year.

The hotel is old and run-down, and although a light refurb seems to have taken place in the past decade, the underlying infrastructure is falling apart.

Wireless internet doesn't work in most of the rooms and common areas including the club. I had a bit of work to do (checking email and sending word documents, so no major data use); not possible with the Sheraton wifi.

I spent the better part of a day waiting for them to fix the internet, which involved having a technician set up various fixes (that didn't work), then moving to a new room (which had slightly better internet, but the toilet didn't flush, the shower was stuck on scalding hot water), then moving again to another room without working internet connection. It's not that they weren't trying, but they just couldn't do it (for whatever reason). Most annoyingly, they just kept telling me, no worries, it'll be done in 1/2 hour.

The hotel is of course very cheap -- for my dates, rack rate was 1m rupees, z3r was 733k, and I had a BRG of under $50 -- and the upgrade to a ~900sqft junior suite makes it good value on paper. I suppose most people don't come here to use the internet, and if you're just visiting Borobudur etc, this hotel may be a fine option given the rates. Just go in with the right expectations:

- The rooms are filthy. You'll find hair, dead bugs, and small pieces of trash on the floor, towels are grey not white, and the bed and pillows have a musty/moldy smell. Disgusting! I always laugh when I see Tripadvisor pictures (often posted by outraged Germans) "zee rooms weren't clean," and I almost never complain, but in this case, it was bad -- these rooms haven't been given a good deep clean in a long time.

- The staff are very friendly, but not helpful or competent. Language wasn't an issue, but expect them to overpromise and forget. Time estimates are quoted in ++ time. The GM is a bit of a dud; we ran into him several times and he never even said hello.

- The club lounge was deserted. In three nights and mornings, we only saw four other people. They do set out a fairly decent evening and morning spread (enough for a light dinner and basically a full breakfast, with eggs and waffles etc cooked on demand and delivered to the table). We were told repeatedly, Plat breakfast in the club only, not restaurant. They stocked the in-room minibar with some free soft drinks, and had a cake waiting on arrival; nice touches.

- The hotel is far from town. There's nothing in walking distance, a large mall about 3km away, and Malioboro a 20-30min shuttle/cab ride. I prefer being closer to the action, but I guess they call it a resort, so maybe it's fine for most guests. On-site options are limited, although the food was mostly decent and fairly reasonably priced.

- Expect lots of noise from prayer calls (the 4am one being the worst), roosters (joining the fun at 4am), and construction. Not the hotel's fault, but we didn't sleep well (likely also attributable to the awful pillows and bedding).

We considered leaving, with the Hyatt being a potential refuge, but according to the reviews in that thread, it's not a whole lot better.
Sound the hotel is in really pathetic stage.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:21 am

It was that way when I stayed in 2013. I'd imagine it would only get worse if no complete renovation is done. It needs to be closed for few years for total renovation or reflagged. At present, it shouldn't be a Hyatt.

Originally Posted by lingua101
Sound the hotel is in really pathetic stage.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
It was that way when I stayed in 2013. I'd imagine it would only get worse if no complete renovation is done. It needs to be closed for few years for total renovation or reflagged. At present, it shouldn't be a Hyatt.
Well, it isn't a Hyatt. It's a Sheraton.
To be fair, while many complaints above are on solid ground this hotel isn't that bad.
Rates pretty often below 60USD and as a Platinum you'll mostly get a lot for that. Upgrade to a 60sqm suite, points and breakfast, bottle of wine for welcome and a lounge with a very, very generous offer on food and drinks, enough to feed the whole family the entire day. Staff is very welcoming (though sometimes a bit clueless) and friendly. While the rooms look a little worn they where always clean.
Airport is 5 min away and Borobodour is fairly close. A supermarket is across the street.

Given you have to pay here less than for a day parking lot in NYC guests (even more Plats) are getting good value at this property.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by red star
Rates pretty often below 60USD and as a Platinum you'll mostly get a lot for that. Upgrade to a 60sqm suite, points and breakfast, bottle of wine for welcome and a lounge with a very, very generous offer on food and drinks, enough to feed the whole family the entire day. Staff is very welcoming (though sometimes a bit clueless) and friendly. While the rooms look a little worn they where always clean.
Airport is 5 min away and Borobodour is fairly close. A supermarket is across the street.

While I agree it's great value, and I especially enjoy the breakfast, I wish they would decide to put something into refurbishing the place. Eg If you go out to the balconies near the main restaurant, you'll find that the fencing is rusting and broken in places. I was trying to get a snap of Merapai smoking and I think had I leaned a bit more on the railing it would have given way.

The suites are fairly well-upkept, but the basic rooms really quite old, and all (and I booked several rooms so I think it's a common factor) the rooms have that musty odor and occasional toilet smells when the water trap doesn't do it's job.

Not saying I wouldn't go back ever, but not the kind of place I would spend a lot of time lounging in the room. There's a reason why it's $60
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
I just checked out from the hotel yesterday. The concept of the hotel is really amazing. I have to agree with travelwithmyself that the suites are is quite well kept.

I came to this hotel with very Low expectation but they are not as rundown as I expect. Staffs in general very friendly and helpful. I Guess this is the most value for money stay I ever had with only 750,000 IDR net for suites room

Will post the pictures in my blog soon
Old May 10, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I stayed in this hotel along with the Hyatt Yogyakarta about a week ago and I am impressed with this hotel. I wasn't expecting a 5-star resort, but it was better than the Hyatt (I spent a night each in Hyatt and Sheraton).

The hotel is located close (about 1-2 km) from JOG airport and they provide complimentary shuttle to and from JOG (you need to request for a pick-up from JOG) and they'll send someone with your name greeting you upon arrival at JOG. The Sheraton also provide complimentary shuttle to Prambanan temple at 08:00 which I value very much since the temple is about 15 km away from the hotel. A return pick-up can be arranged through the hotel for IDR 100,000 but you can also get a taxi for around IDR 50-70,000 (might involve a bit of a wait and there are no Uber/Grab in Yogya).

There are also complimentary shuttles to Jalan Malioboro (Road) but I didn't take the shuttle as I only spent a night there and I got in around 18:00. The location itself was great - there was a really nice Nasi Gudeg (Rice) just outside the hotel and there are some decent massage places along the main road. There's also a Carrefour about 20 mins walk from the hotel (I forgot my flip-flop and needed to get one from there).

The only minor inconvenience to this hotel is you have to take an on-demand shuttle from the main gate to the lobby as the lobby is about 1 km away from the main gate (and involve going up and down a tunnel).

The rooms are very nice and for the price I paid (around IDR 900,000) and I was upgraded to a lovely Mt. Merapi view suite with full buffet breakfast and 500 points. I don't know if they upgrade plats to the lagoon access rooms but those rooms look lovely too with a small pool just outside your balcony.

The breakfast was amazing with lots of local fresh fruits as well as local and international delicacies and the restaurant has a great view of Mt. Merapi as well if it's not shrouded by clouds.

Service was attentive and I wouldn't mind staying here again if I am in Yogya. It might be a little out of central Yogya but taxis are cheap in Yogya and traffic usually isn't too bad.

My review of the Hyatt Yogya here.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:58 pm

I am planning to spend a couple of nights at this place and have been communicating with them via email to arrange my trips. They have been extremely prompt, courteous and helpful. If this is anything to go by I am sure the stay will be wonderful. I am really impressed by their attitude and professionalism.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 11:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Inexpensive, and you get what you pay for

Sheraton Mustika Yogyakarta Resort and Spa

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

JL Laksda Adisucipto KM 8.7 Depok, ID 55282

Inexpensive, and you get what you pay for (4 Photos)

I booked three rooms at the Sheraton Mustika in late January - it was inexpensive, Starwood, and located in Yogyakarta (the exact qualities that I was looking for). While the facilities were dated, it seemed fairly reasonable for the price (around US$60-80 per room a night).

Check In

Check-in on the 7th floor went smoothly (or so I thought). I was not offered any upgrades, but decided not to press for one. I was asked if I wanted to keep separate folios for each room - initially I said this would not be necessary, but requested it after the front desk agent advised me that at times the stay/room credits did not accrue properly in multiple room folios. More on this later.

Room

The rooms were basic if dated - these would have been a good standard in the 80's or early 90's, but lacked modern conveniences such as the a master switch near the bedside to turn on/off lights. There was a good view of Mt Merapi and at least on the SPG and club floors the rooms were by-and-large clean. 

Photo Jan 23, 16 37 22.jpg

One exception: the bathroom was generally serviceable, but bathwater was murky and a greenish brown, so I wouldn't recommend trying to get clean that way. Water temperature also inconsistent. Not sure if it was a problem with the hotel's water system or just typical of Yogyakarta. Toiletries were very unimpressive - some generic shower gel and shampoo that didn't even bear the Sheraton marque.

Photo Jan 23, 16 37 46.jpg

Dining

My room at the Sheraton Mustika was about 20 feet from the lounge (where I had breakfast and evening snack/drinks). The selection of food there is barely sufficient for a meal (and won't be mistaken for anything else). There was a single countertop and island in the lounge, stocked with one or two hot dishes, fruit, and cake. Complimentary alcohol is served in the evenings, though this is limited to red wine (which did not try), white wine (which tasted like an overoaked chardonnay), and Bintang beer (the best option).

The lounge was very empty - throughout my stay there, I saw four other guests there (one Chinese couple with their child and an Eastern European lady).

Photo Jan 24, 19 19 43.jpg

Facilities

I looked at the pool (which looks more like a large outdoor fountain) and decided not to use it.

Photo Jan 24, 18 45 07.jpg

I used the gym (aging equipment, but serviceable) and had a massage - both did the job, but were unexceptional. 

Overall

To be honest, at the price the hotel is nothing to complain about. For a Cat 1 hotel it is exactly what you would expect. There are mosquitoes -particularly in the evening - and I'd suggest bringing repellent if you are staying for any length of time.

My main issue was that after I checked out, I realised that contrary to my request at check-out two of my rooms had been put on a single folio, and one of them had been recorded as a redemption rate (the other room was credited with the full spend and points of both rooms, so ultimately I had the correct number of points and stays/nights credited - but it was still baffling). To date this has not been corrected (despite reaching out to both the hotel and the SPG team).  

Inexpensive, and you get what you pay for

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Mustika Yogyakarta Resort and Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Wrapping up a 3 night stay here. Upgraded to 1,356 ft˛ / 126 m˛ Executive Suite. (I applied an SNA which didn't clear.) Room smells musty (to be expected in this climate) and wasn't particularly clean (some hairs in the sink, dust on top of things, phone was filthy). Also, lots of microscopic ants everywhere. Bath towels are gray and one had a hole in it. But for $60/night + 2000 bonus pts + 1000 Q4 bonus, guess I won't complain!

I also found the lounge to be empty. 1-2 guests/night. (Guess they don't get many Plats in these parts and people don't buy up to Club Floor.) I found the selection of food to be adequate, but a lot of it contained meat so that really limited my choice.

I was given the option of breakfast in the lounge or the restaurant in addition to 500 Platinum points. Breakfast was very good and even had a section designated as "Vegetarian Corner".

The call to prayer at 04:00 is a bit annoying as it goes on for about 20 mins.

Free shuttle to/from the airport, equipped with working wifi! Uber is very cheap if you want to go in to Jogja. There is also a free shuttle to go to Maliboro.

Last edited by margarita girl; Jan 16, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reason: more info
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Just spent a night here before moving on to Hyatt, as I usually do when coming to JOG. The Sheraton is a super easy BRG, and at IDR700K with 5000 points BRG reward, not a bad deal.

Mid-afternoon airport arrival (with a massive downpour) was a zoo, long taxi and Grab lines. Was very grateful when the Sheraton shuttle pulled up after 20 minutes. Note that apparently a new JOG airport is about to open (current IATA code: YIA), 50km West of Yogyakarta city center, and per Google maps, a 1h30m drive from the Sheraton.

I was welcomed and told that I had been upgraded to an Executive Suite. The agent told me that a remodel had started, but none of the suites were remodeled yet. I asked to be given one of the remodeled rooms instead. Unlike the decades-long "remodel" of Sheraton Senggigi and Hyatt JOG, which consists of a couple mock-up rooms, Sheraton JOG actually has several dozen rooms completed, along with half the lobby. The rooms are pretty nice, far nicer than the old suites, of course, and I would recommend requesting a remodeled room instead of an ancient suite. Pretty generic rooms, nothing particularly Javanese about them. Some pictures below.

The club lounge was deserted as usual, and the food offerings were middling (also as usual). Breakfast has a good selection, although I didn't find the food particularly tasty. Choice of lounge or restaurant breakfast (in addition to 1000 points). Staff were very friendly.

I'm sure the remodel will drag on for another year or so, but when completed, this hotel will be a stronger contender. (I don't know what they'll do to the pool area, which I find off-putting). In any case, with the relocation of the airport, I will likely never return here. My resort needs are met by the Hyatt (amazing treatment, beautiful pool, despite the old rooms), and the Marriott is also a great hotel, in a much more central location.

Remodeled room

Remodeled room

Remodeled room

New lobby
margarita girl and HadesNL like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
any recent stays here (or the marriott)? thoughts on titanium treatment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.