Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Mustika Jogyakarta / Jogjakarta / Yogyakarta, Java Indonesia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Mustika Jogyakarta / Jogjakarta / Yogyakarta, Java Indonesia [Master Thread]

Old Jul 25, 2009, 9:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
I have not but will try to go during the August 9th week-end.

Flickr has some pictures
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Sheraton+Mustika

No pictures of the rooms but I will sure follow with pictures of my own if no one has contributed by then.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:22 am

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Trip Report Sheraton Mustika with recent pictures

Ok, let me start by stating that it was probably not a good idea to start our long week end with a night at Amanjiwo. That did set the expectations a bit high. Also my candid comments might seem a bit harsh but we have so many wonderful hotels in Asia and enjoy great service in many of them that the Sheraton Mustika has a bit of catch up to do.

The Sheraton Mustika is about 5-10 minutes from Yogyakarta airport and 20 minutes from Prambanan temple. About 50 minutes from Borobudur. It is on a main 4 lanes road with a lot of traffic. The hotel however is separated from the by a building which shield some of the noise. You do not hear the traffic but you hear the muezzin who will wake you up from 04:30 for the call to prayer (I am a heavy sleeper and he did manage
to wake me up).

Check-In
Arrived in Amanjiwo car and had provided the expected arrival time, so we were easy to spot. The Front Office Manager, Catharina, was at the entrance of the hotel and was quick as a leopard to jump on me with an effusive welcome. Very nice. No stopping at the lobby but taken directly to the room for the check-in. Lift stops on the third floor and here comes my first puzzled look. Surely the swimming pool is not on the third floor? You see we had booked a lagoon access suite for 150$ (US) and were quite looking forward to a jump in the pool straight from the bedroom... It was not to be so. "We have upgraded you to the Presidential Suite, Mr JohnSIN. As a Platinum Member, we want to make sure you are treated well..." Damn my Ambassador is sometimes doing too much great work! Now you have a Presidential Suite, I am not going to complain am I?

The Room
Some renovation has been done. The room is big, one large living room, dining room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, one with 2 double beds, the master with a large king. Plasma screen with an engineer trying to fix the cable (the reception was lousy for the entire stay but then again, I watched about 10 mins of TV over 2 days). The shower is very New Sheraton and trendy but it takes a good 10 minutes for some hot water to flow.
The washbasin comes with only one option; cold water. The rest of the bathroom is in original conditions.

The bed however proved to be the grand winner. A sweet sleeper bed guaranteed us 2 very long nights (except for the call to prayer). Very nice and comfortable bed. Internet was free but had to request for a cable (no wireless in the rooms).

The Lounge
Our Lagoon/Presidential Suite provided us with lounge access and free drinks and canaps were served from 1730 to 2030. We went to the lounge for a quick drink before heading for dinner. The lounge was deserted but for the shy attendant. Upon seeing the poor display of drinks, I asked if we could get G&T.
The poor girl looked all puzzled but decided to offer some wine instead. Sure enough, we accepted, only to discover 4 bottles presented to us including Whiskey, Gin, Vodka and Baileys (or something).
The girl did not know how to do a Gin & Tonic, so I obliged with a little demonstration (making sure the dose of gin was very generous for fellow flyertalkers planning on visiting the property). The lounge got a bit busier with 6 people but really not busy at all compare to its size. The hotel was running full, so I concluded not many platinum or eligible visitors. Breakfast selection was minimal but we are not fussy eaters and managed to get sustenance. Mr. GM, a bit of training for your lounge staff would not go amiss.

Androwino Bistro
Local Indonesian dishes cooked in the most horrendous manners. They look good value for money with a main, Nasi Goreng at 6$US. Now this is very expensive compare to what you pay outside but for hotel rates, it is very reasonable. This being said, the food was absolutely appalling. You would expect that Nasi Goreng being staple food at home and having some Indonesian staff in the kitchen, would allow for a good Nasi Goreng but it was not so... Food was very disappointing. Service was ok. Decor is very nice and would be not out of line with a trendy newer Sheraton like Hua Hin or Krabi. However, going through the hotel, your sight is constantly assaulted by what has been renovated which might look very nice and trendy and what has not which might look awfully ugly and dated.

The Suko Wine Lounge
The lounge is one of the renovated outlets. Very nice and trendy.
Tried the welcome cocktail for which we were given vouchers upon check in. Very nice and tasty drink, efficient service.

The pool
The water was warm but the week end saw an influx of local family with children in tow. Loudspeakers blasting music from 0700. A very busy pool. A large clientele for the hotel is local tourist. Another part of the customers are businesses and congress. So the pool was out of reach unless you were willing to face the many strollers, music and crowd.

The Spa
The massages are very cheap with a Javanese Massage at 20$US.
The massage was however not particularly enjoyable with masseuses not particularly responsive to my signs of pain. I had a cramp on my left foot and the remedial actions undertaken were no good. Couple room was charge another 20 USD making the massage 30$ in total, a mere portion of what you would normally pay in a hotel.

Reception
Asking for a late check-out until 1500, a bored looking receptionist gave me a sorry sir but the hotel is fully booked tomorrow. I can only give you until 1300. This sounded too much like a rehearsed line and the number of people I could see in the hotel testified to a very light occupancy (after a 100% occupancy week end). So I tried my luck again with the excellent Catharina who confirmed immediately a 1500 check-out as requested. Again a willingness to invest in staff so that SPG Platinum are recognised or training would be nice.

Overall
I think the Sheraton Mustika represent fantastic value for money. Where else can you get a 150$US suite with lagoon access? The massage, the food and services are very nicely priced but the service is a bit of a letdown, attitude and training not always being up to par. Willingness to be great is exhibited in some of the staffs, while others show a careless, uninterested attitude. The decor is a bit of an assault on the taste when it comes to the Lobby and many common parts. Rooms are tired but the bed is great. Renovated restaurants are very modern but the food a let down.

I would still go back if I am to visit Prambanan temples with friends but otherwise, not no my favourite destination or hotel. Borobudur is only 50 mins away, so if you can face the early morning rise for sunset, the hotel is not too bad either.

Pictures on Flickr

Last edited by JohnSIN; Aug 11, 2009 at 5:28 am
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:28 am
Community Director Emerita

JohnSIN, what a terrific, comprehensive report. I stayed at Amanjiwo as well, but it is really nice to have a more affordable Starwood points earning stay as an option to visit Borobudur.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
I also stayed in early Aug 09--probably same time as JohnSIN.

I don't want to be too harsh, lol, I used points to stay and I can comfortably say this property was a good value. Only other international chain is Hyatt and not much options for dinning in town. If you don't have a high expectation this property is a good place to be based out to see central Java.

Overall, staff's English is not that good and few confusions through out our stay. However, the effort was there and everyone was very friendly.

Highlights: Car service, we hired a car through hotel to go to Borobudur for a day. After seeing the temple we asked our driver to drive us to Amanjiwo for lunch. I think this is a good way to see/feel luxury without paying Amanjiwo's price. For 7hr we paid $35 USD. Unlike JohnSIN's experience, the spa was really good. Probably the best massage I have received for $20.
Also, please go have a dinner on the ground of and see the dance show at the Hindu temple that begins with "P" (sorry, just can't think of the name)

The prayer did wake up my friends at 430 but the roosters screaming all morning long from the neighbor's property was more annoying.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by NYCWahoo
I also stayed in early Aug 09--probably same time as JohnSIN.

Also, please go have a dinner on the ground of and see the dance show at the Hindu temple that begins with "P" (sorry, just can't think of the name)
My guess is it might be Prambanan temple. It is a short drive from the hotel on the main road when you drive past the airport.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:28 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Only other international chain is Hyatt and not much options for dinning in town.
No, there's also Meli Purosani.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
will be here for 2 days in may....looking forward to the $20 massage....can anyone comment if plats get free breakfast in the lounge....
Old Feb 27, 2010, 5:21 pm

I did not think much of the 20 dollars massage, so make sure you don't expect something really nice.

Yes, platinums have free breakfast in the lounge.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Yes, platinums have free breakfast in the lounge.
great....thanks for the confirmation....
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:11 am

Only other international chain is Hyatt and not much options for dinning in town.
And an Ibis, a Novotel, an M Gallery, and a Melia.

Jogya is famous for its wide variety of food and restaurants . Maybe you didn't get out enough?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
But these are strange sounding names for many Americans
BTW whats M Gallery, the M&C's version of a "W" ?
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by camsean

Jogya is famous for its wide variety of food and restaurants . Maybe you didn't get out enough?
can you elaborate a little bit on jogya please????thanks....
Old May 7, 2010, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

will be here in mid june for 2 days....we were supposed to go this month but had to push forward the reservation by a month due to work commitments....

rates are pretty reasonable....with my set/corporate rate i can get a rate of $87 a night....the second night we are using 2k points for a weekend stay....
are 2 days enough for yogyakarta or should we extend our trip by a day????

can anyone who has stayed here recently comment on the plat upgrades....
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

checked in this morning for a 2 night stay....

upgraded to a dharmawangsa suite which has a seperate living room, with a sitting & dining area....small bar area....decent sized bedroom....one bathroom....2 seperate balconies in the living & bed room....

check-in was fairly quick & we also got a really early check-in as we got to the hotel at 7am....

the room itself has a few problems....the flush in the toilet is not working & neither was the a/c in the bedroom....the shower also switches randomly from hot to cold water....they fixed everything this afternoon & even offered to move us to another room if the problems continue....

lounge offers breakfast in the morning & cocktails in the evening....
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Rewards Platinum AC SE100K, UA 1K
Great value on Cash and Points

Great hotel, excellent service with a great lounge.
Taxis are cheap, access to all facilities is fairly comprehensive.

Full review and updated pics
http://www.rishiray.com/2011/07/19/m...ustika-review/

Most of the information found later in the thread is relevant...they definitely work with the SPG Plats

Rishi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.