Starwood Lurker: Cash & Points Award Reservation Cancellations

Subscribe
Starwood Lurker:

When a Cash & Awards stay is reserved, points are immediately deducted from a participant's account.

If the Cash & Awards stay reservation is cancelled prior to the hotel's "regular" cancellation deadline, are the points returned to the member's account and charges to the room avoided?

I only ask this because Starwood offers prepaid rates that are forfeited in the case of no-shows, and I want to confirm that you do not treat Cash & Points reservations as "prepaid" stays.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExitRowAisle:
Starwood Lurker:

When a Cash & Awards stay is reserved, points are immediately deducted from a participant's account.

If the Cash & Awards stay reservation is cancelled prior to the hotel's "regular" cancellation deadline, are the points returned to the member's account and charges to the room avoided?

I only ask this because Starwood offers prepaid rates that are forfeited in the case of no-shows, and I want to confirm that you do not treat Cash & Points reservations as "prepaid" stays.
</font>
As far as I know, no deposits are required for these awards, so I'm not sure why there would be a necessity to worry about having the cash portion refunded, but for all I know there may be an exception. After all, we're talking about 180 hotels here. The Starpoints will be returned as long as you cancel within policy, for sure.

Other than that, the cancellation policy for Cash & Points awards follows the pre-determined cancellation policy of the hotel in question. There are various cancellation policies in effect on these awards because the various participating properties may all have different sets of circumstances to guard against, but I have never seen a situation where a Cash & Points award was non-cancellable, unless of course the hotel's cancellation policy was already in effect when the reservation was made.

No matter what, please pay close attention to what the cancellation policy is for the individual property. This will be communicated both online or over the phone before you confirm the booking and it will be confirmed in your email confirmation letter afterwards.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]