Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood in Hawaii with kids / children [consolidated discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood in Hawaii with kids / children [consolidated discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Just make sure you get a room in the Beach Tower as the Ocean Tower has much smaller rooms. It would not be very comfy with children.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 12:22 pm

Location: Honolulu, HI USA; UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
The Sheraton Molokai is a whole different experience than the Westin. I did a review of both before ... about the middle of the page at: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/006437.html

But ... the Molokai property will no longer be a Starwood hotel after 4/1/04.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/009593.html
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:33 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Can anyone tell me what weather is like in December? Thanks.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:34 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Warm and humid.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 1:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood gold
Best Children's pool in Hawaii resorts

We are planning a trip to Hawaii with our 3 kids. One of the major (if not THE major) determinant of resort we choose will be the children's pool. IN the past, we have stayed at the OUtrigger (now Marriott Wailea) with a superb children's pool/water play area.

Does any of the Starwood resorts in Hawaii have a decent kid's pool?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:14 pm

The Westin Maui has a great pool. They have a large water slide and also a smaller slide that connects 2 of the pools. They have a basketball hoop poolside also. They also had "dive in" movies some nights when we were there in summer months. There are lots of waterfalls and wildlife to look at on property. Our kids loved it and so did my husband and I. A beautiful property and we are returning there in June.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
This might not be Starwood, but the Grand Wailea, in Wailea on Maui has by far, the best water slide, IMHO and the best pools.

aloha
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I've suffered through more than one day at the Westin Maui pool with loud, screaming, happy children all around. (Can you tell I don't have kids? ) That's the most kid infested . . . I mean kid friendly . . . Starwood property that I can think of in Hawaii.

Seriously, that would be my choice in Hawaii if I was entertaining kids.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 4:48 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Westin Maui
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood gold
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
(Can you tell I don't have kids? ) .
Sounds more like don't have and don't want kids.

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like the Westin Maui. May have to combine this with the Hilton on the big island. A good, separate kid's pool would be a welcome addition for all.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
This might not be Starwood, but the Grand Wailea, in Wailea on Maui has by far, the best water slide, IMHO and the best pools.

aloha
Also not SPG, but we thought the Hyatt Kauai had an amazing pool.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I think Westin Maui has the best pool for kids among SPG.
Hilton Waikoloa Village has the best pools for kids on the big island, and Kauai Marriot has the best pools for kids in Kauai.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:34 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I still think that the best pool in Hawaii is Grand Wailea.
I am the member there so I have been there more than twenty times.
Nice spa, beautiful flower garden, best pool, good restaurants and usually expensive. The regular room is spacious and they have many nice suites.
I wished SPG consider Grand Wailea in stead of Renaissance.
(Grand Wailea used to be Grand Hyatt Wailea)
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:26 pm

Grand Wailea is too fancy to be a Hawaiian Starwood hotel(Cat 6 ?); Currently they have loyal customers who are willing to pay a lot & they do not need any hotel chain affliation to bring in Customers.

Grand Wailea has the best pool complex in Hawaii, and is surprisingly kid-friendly also(we stayed once for 2 nights $300/nt at their cheapest rm).

I do agree Westin Maui is the best SPG property for kids above 5; younger kids will do better in Sheraton Maui since the pools are more low-key & has a small "lazy-river".

Also in Westin Maui there is one pool at top that is kid-free and is quite relaxing.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 1:30 pm

Sheraton Waikiki versus Maui for young kids (1 and 3 years old)

I would like the advice of the board whether it would be better to go to the Sheraton Waikiki or Maui (either the Sheraton or Westin) when travelling with two small kids who will be ages 1 and 3 at the time of the trip. I would be using points for the stay and all hotels are category 5. I will have no status at the time but would try to use points for an upgraded room (point budget around 60,000). I don't have enough points to pay double for a suite. I would be staying for 5 nights.

We would be adding this on to the end of a trip to Japan to visit my wife's family so would be taking the NRT-HNL flight on united. We would return on Alaska airlines to PDX and they offer a direct flight from both HNL and OGG.

I'm inclined to go to one of the Maui properties but am not sure whether it's worth taking an extra intraisland flight with two small kids after an international flight. My wife has never been to Maui. I've been to Maui but stayed in Wailea and have never been to Kaanapali.

With small kids we wouldn't want to do much driving and would likely stay in the area around the hotel for most of the 5 nights. I'd appreciate people's thoughts which to pick. I've read the different property threads and the Sheraton Waikiki is highly rated for the club lounge, which I assume I could get with extra points, but Maui gets higher rating for the snorkeling right near the hotels. Thanks for your thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.