Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
hmuehler is correct. But that's also assuming that you're not on a group rate. If you're on a group/convention rate, you won't get any points at all.

More authoritative than SPG.com's FAQ are SPG.com's T&Cs. In fact, I would say that SPG.com's FAQ's definitions of eligible and ineligible rates/charges have a few inaccuracies.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Multiple Stay/Night Credit for Multiple Rooms

All --

Hoping you can help/clarify for me. I have been a Platinum member since 2003 and for the first time this past weekend, I did not receive stay/night credit for a 2nd room booked/paid by me (I.e. I had 2 rooms reserved for 2 nights). I call Plat Conc and they explained to me that I can only get credit for 1 Stay/2 nights and not 2 Stays/4 nights. I have done this about 5-6 times in the past (even at the same hotel) and received stay/night credit for all rooms. Did something change? or did I just get lucky all the previous times?

I also didn't get points for my other room but they are correcting that.

If this is the case, how do people get status from booking wedding parties and/or other events -- Does this have to pre-negotiated ahead of time? Though I can't confirm, I'm almost 100% certain that several individuals I know received platinum status by booking large blocks of rooms either for a wedding or company event.

Thank you to all ahead of time.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:28 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Hi dfilak and welcome to FT.

This is a commonly asked question here on FT (the search feature will help you out although it may take some playing to get the hang of it). The SPG T & C's are very clear on this:

5.5. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges incurred and paid by you for up to three rooms during the same stay (your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name, you stay in one of the rooms, and you personally settle all room charges upon check-out. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions.
So you got lucky in the past if you got multiple stay/night credits as this rule has been in place for quite some time.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:00 pm

"Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay."

Does this mean if you have 1 reservation # that covers say 2-3 rooms?

What if you have 2 or more different reservations that stand on their own?

For example, at my current reservation, they had problems with booking the room for 3 nights in 1 reservation. So they gave me 1 reservation that covered 1 night and then a 2nd reservation to cover the following 2 nights. Well when this posts on my account, it counts as 2 separate stays, even if I only get credit for a total of 3 nights.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:16 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by DCFratboy22
"Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay."

Does this mean if you have 1 reservation # that covers say 2-3 rooms?
Yes.

What if you have 2 or more different reservations that stand on their own?
It means the same thing, regardless of the number of reservations booked.

For example, at my current reservation, they had problems with booking the room for 3 nights in 1 reservation. So they gave me 1 reservation that covered 1 night and then a 2nd reservation to cover the following 2 nights. Well when this posts on my account, it counts as 2 separate stays, even if I only get credit for a total of 3 nights.
You should get one stay for three nights. But, as we often are heard to say here, YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, CO Platinum, SPG Platinum
A Variation on the Question

Hopefully, someone can answer this question. If I book a three night stay, with a paid stay the first night, and then cash and points the next two nights, and then on the third night of that stay, I book a second room on an independent reservation, will I get stay credits for the first night and the last night, or just for the first night?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:14 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CCFlyer17
Hopefully, someone can answer this question. If I book a three night stay, with a paid stay the first night, and then cash and points the next two nights, and then on the third night of that stay, I book a second room on an independent reservation, will I get stay credits for the first night and the last night, or just for the first night?
You should get credited for the two eligible nights. Whether it comes as one stay posting or two really depends upon how the hotel goes about posting it. YMMV in regard to that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 15, 2008, 2:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Lightbulb Platinum chance or not?

Hi all,

I have 9 stays to go to get PLT status with Starwood. I'm signed up for teh double stay promo so this makes 5 stays.

I have 2 seperate 1 day stayes comming up in the next week. I will be traveling with 4 people, and I have booked 2 rooms seperately, so I have 4 seperate reservations. Will this make 8 stays? ( I know that it isnt Starwoods policy but I've seen it happen a few times before) if so should I take the chance of makeing another stay that I dont actually need, but just to obtain platinum. (can get a stay for 70 euro for a night at 4. sheraton in Dusseldurf).

Should I risk it?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 15, 2008 at 3:18 pm Reason: Moved into master thread on topic
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by thomas199023
Hi all,

I have 9 stays to go to get PLT status with Starwood. I'm signed up for teh double stay promo so this makes 5 stays.

I have 2 seperate 1 day stayes comming up in the next week. I will be traveling with 4 people, and I have booked 2 rooms seperately, so I have 4 seperate reservations. Will this make 8 stays? ( I know that it isnt Starwoods policy but I've seen it happen a few times before) if so should I take the chance of makeing another stay that I dont actually need, but just to obtain platinum. (can get a stay for 70 euro for a night at 4. sheraton in Dusseldurf).

Should I risk it?
I wouldn't risk it if you want Platinum status. As you may read from the above previous postings that YMMV but Starwood's policy is you will only get 1 stay credit even for multiple bookings that you have paid for.... from the sounds of it you'll need 3 more stays with the double stay promotion to make platinum status. Better hurry!
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Question Multiple rooms Platinum benefits

When a SPG platinum reserves multiple rooms (e.g. for family members) all under the SPG member name & number and all charges are settled personally by the SPG member, do the platinum benefits extend to all the rooms or just the room in which the platinum member stays?

Specifically I'm asking about upgrade (for more than 1 room) and club level privileges when an upgrade was not available.

Does the age/relation of the people in the second room make a difference (e.g. second room is used for kids under 18)?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
4C.5. The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member.

But,

5.5. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges incurred and paid by you for up to three rooms during the same stay (your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name, you stay in one of the rooms, and you personally settle all room charges upon check-out. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one Eligible Stay or Eligible Night towards elite levels of Membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Sagy
When a SPG platinum reserves multiple rooms (e.g. for family members) all under the SPG member name & number and all charges are settled personally by the SPG member, do the platinum benefits extend to all the rooms or just the room in which the platinum member stays?

Specifically I'm asking about upgrade (for more than 1 room) and club level privileges when an upgrade was not available.

Does the age/relation of the people in the second room make a difference (e.g. second room is used for kids under 18)?

Thanks in advance.
YMMV, but the upgrade (and lounge access) is suppose to be for the member room only. The member cannot stay in more than one room.

Plat Upgrade for multiple rooms?
Question about Platinum reserving multiple rooms
Booking multiple rooms for a Platinum
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:15 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the quick answer.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The above answers are the correct by the terms of the SPG program and that is all you should expect.

However as a Platinum member who has often travelled with adult family in two rooms, the Platinum benefits may be extended to both rooms dependent on the property. Typically this might be making both rooms Club rooms with lounge access at some, whilst others will make it very clear that one room has access to benefits with the other room not having access. YMMV though.

As long as you don't expect any more than what is guaranteed, then you won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 7:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Originally Posted by RAPC
The above answers are the correct by the terms of the SPG program and that is all you should expect.

However as a Platinum member who has often travelled with adult family in two rooms, the Platinum benefits may be extended to both rooms dependent on the property. Typically this might be making both rooms Club rooms with lounge access at some, whilst others will make it very clear that one room has access to benefits with the other room not having access. YMMV though.

As long as you don't expect any more than what is guaranteed, then you won't be disappointed.
I would fully support this post. My experience is many properties will upgrade 1 room and the provide us all with clubflooor access. However on many occasions I have been given 2 suites. On a couple of occasions 2 hotels have called and asked if I would like a 2 bedroom suite. I have also been asked if it is important that the second room is adjoining. This resulted in 1 suite with a second room and an extra set of hallway doors making it more private. One of my regular hotels, the Sheraton Wall in Vancouver has asked if I need a kitchen when traveling with family on points. Got 2 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, kitchen (fully equipped) and living room / dining area.

My approach is to only expect what is promised and enjoy the extras.

I note many comments on upgrades. While, the rules say best available at check in, most hotels assign the night before or morning of. My regular hotels have told me they look after their regular guests first and then others. There may be value in calling the front desk manager the day before, advising you know you are only entitled to 1 upgrade and then ask kindly for what you want. I have found this to work also.

I know some guests ask if all platinums have checked in and if not then assignments should be changed to provide them with an upgrade. This has not been my practice as I like smooth checkins. Seems to work when they push it.

My best upgrades with SPG have been the grand in Florence and the St Regis and Westin in Rome. All 3 were points stays on different trips. Best service ever was the Grand in Florence. Best upgrade ever was at the Fairmont in Ottawa. 5 days in an apartment that use to be lived in by Karsh. Mind you, my opinion, Fairmont program is weak compared to SPG. Fairmont seems to be a challenge to me while I find SPG works hard for its guests.

Last edited by dmgt; Jan 3, 2009 at 7:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.