Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:51 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sk3
Variation on a theme - perhaps Mr. Sanders could weigh in...

First off, I'm just a Gold.

Here's my story - my family will be going to San Fran (probably the St. Francis) for one night in August to celebrate my father's 75th birthday. We'll need 3 rooms and of course I'd love to book this in a way that I can get all the points (hey, no one else in my family cares about them but me ).

But my parents are Gold's too (sister's nada).

So my question is, if I book all three rooms so that it's all on one folio that I'll pay to be able to get all the points, can I somehow add my father's SPG Gold number to his room reservation, so that if there are any upgrades given lowly Golds then both my room and his room would qualify?

Or would I be better off booking my parents reservation separately to insure my folk's getting a better room?

(Of course, the best room of the three that's given to us will go to my folks - but I'm just trying to increase the chance of more of us having a nicer room).

Thanks in advance.
If you want credit for all three rooms to go to you, they will have to be registered in your name and paid for by you. This pretty much means that your father's SPG number is going to have to be presented at check-in rather than being on the original reservation. Ask them to honor his in-hotel benefit at check-in; however, also realize that this can cause confusion later, which might lead to you being credited for only two rooms and him getting credit for his.

That's about the best advice I could offer in this particular situation.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:09 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks Mr. Sanders!

I've been poking around on SPG.com since I posted and I see that when you input 3 rooms on the first reservation page and then you select a room type it actually brings you to a screen that asks for the individual names and SPG numbers or it gives a box for you to check which says "Use Room 1 Name" -

so I just want to make sure I do this right - am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't enter my family's names but rather check the "Use Room 1 Name" in order to get the all the points?

And a second question - when you're in SPG.com and request 3 rooms, all it's letting me do is select one room type for all 3 rooms - is there a way to select 2 king rooms and one room with 2 double beds? Or do I have to do that in the "Special Comment's" section?

Thanks again for your help. (You were instrumental in helping with my family's last milestone - my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary spent at the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Edinburgh!) My family are all quite intrigued about this Lurker I keep talking about!
Old Jul 2, 2004, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by sk3
Thanks Mr. Sanders!

I've been poking around on SPG.com since I posted and I see that when you input 3 rooms on the first reservation page and then you select a room type it actually brings you to a screen that asks for the individual names and SPG numbers or it gives a box for you to check which says "Use Room 1 Name" -

so I just want to make sure I do this right - am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't enter my family's names but rather check the "Use Room 1 Name" in order to get the all the points?

And a second question - when you're in SPG.com and request 3 rooms, all it's letting me do is select one room type for all 3 rooms - is there a way to select 2 king rooms and one room with 2 double beds? Or do I have to do that in the "Special Comment's" section?

Thanks again for your help. (You were instrumental in helping with my family's last milestone - my parents 50th Wedding Anniversary spent at the Sheraton Grand Hotel in Edinburgh!) My family are all quite intrigued about this Lurker I keep talking about!
If you book these online, do one room at a time only, each booked in your own name. In other words, get a separate confirmation number for each room, but be sure that you are listed as the guest.

The alternative is to book it through the Customer Contact Center, but I am assuming that you are collecting web booking bonuses. For what its worth, doing it this way online might net you three of them for this one stay.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jul 2, 2004 at 2:39 pm
Old Jul 2, 2004, 3:32 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks again Mr. Sanders - I'm glad I asked. When I had read that multiple rooms had to be on a master bill or one folio I thought that meant booking it with one confirmation number...
I hope you're off to a wonderful 4th of July weekend!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:25 am

Would I get points for multiple room bookings?

A bunch of friends and I are going to Vegas this summer and I booked us 4 rooms at the Alladin. Assuming I check in for everyone at once and put the rooms on my credit card, would I get SPG points for all 4 rooms/stays or just 1?

I apologize if that question has been asked before. I could not find it when doing a search...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by anamaniac
A bunch of friends and I are going to Vegas this summer and I booked us 4 rooms at the Alladin. Assuming I check in for everyone at once and put the rooms on my credit card, would I get SPG points for all 4 rooms/stays or just 1?

I apologize if that question has been asked before. I could not find it when doing a search...
Officially, you can be credited for the Starpoints on a total of three rooms; yours plus two others. In order to do so, you have to be the registered guest for all three rooms and personally settle all the charges associated with them at check-out. You would receive one stay credit for as many nights as you stay in your room, not everyone else's collectively-speaking.

Anything other kind of result would be YMMV.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 3, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Officially, you can be credited for the Starpoints on a total of three rooms; yours plus two others. In order to do so, you have to be the registered guest for all three rooms and personally settle all the charges associated with them at check-out. You would receive one stay credit for as many nights as you stay in your room, not everyone else's collectively-speaking.
William, do you know whether guests in other rooms I booked would be entitled to any Gold benefits because my SPG number is on the reservation? Can they request 4 p.m. checkouts as well, for example, or can I only get that in my room? And would I get 3 points per dollar on their rooms, or only mine?

I recently booked several rooms for a stay at the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center later this month, so I'm curious.

Thanks...
Old May 3, 2006, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by toomanywords
William, do you know whether guests in other rooms I booked would be entitled to any Gold benefits because my SPG number is on the reservation? Can they request 4 p.m. checkouts as well, for example, or can I only get that in my room? And would I get 3 points per dollar on their rooms, or only mine?

I recently booked several rooms for a stay at the Sheraton Philadelphia City Center later this month, so I'm curious.

Thanks...
The Gold member benefits are for you only since you are the Gold member. You would get three points per eligible dollar on their room charges.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 3, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The Gold member benefits are for you only since you are the Gold member. You would get three points per eligible dollar on their room charges.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks for the clarification. We'll have to move everyone's stuff into my room the morning of our last day, I guess.
Old May 3, 2006, 10:10 am

Thanks for the clarification. We'll have to move everyone's stuff into my room the morning of our last day, I guess.
I'm assuming that none of these colleagues are members or they are Preferred level and don't care about collecting the points?

You could have them enrolled into SPG through AAA to be Preferred Plus members, which also get 4 PM late check-out; however, that might confuse the issue of getting all the points credited to your account for their stays, especially if they start presenting cards at check-in and changing the name of record.

Your call on that one.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 4, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
As the most frequent flyer in my (extended) family, I have planned vacations where I book (and pay for) more than 1 room. As William noted, you get points for each room (max 3) but only 1 stay credit.

With respect to late checkout, before you resort to consolidating luggage, I would stop by the lobby the day before and politely ask the Manager if he can help you out by accomodating a late-checkout for the other rooms. Explain your situation and tell him that you are a Gold member, but you know that only applies to your room only. I think that if you are courteous and don't act like you deserve it, your chances are very good (barring a big convention coming in, etc.). Many hotel guests get late-checkout every day without any program status. They are not required to grant it from an SPG standpoint, but may anyway simply as a courtesy, especially if there is no reason not to.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:20 pm

Plat Upgrade for multiple rooms?

I took the double stay credit offer and should easily make platinum as a result. Yippee! I've been treated quite well as a gold and before that as a AAA/credit card preferred guest.

My question is what to expect when I'm traveling with my family and I book 2 rooms. I've never been upgraded to a suite as a Gold. But, when I've booked 2 rooms, they have always upgraded both rooms. I'm not expecting them to give me 2 suites. But, I'm wondering if they might give me a suite and an adjoining room, etc.

Just wondering what to expect and looking forward to seeing what happens.

SDFLYER
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think the only suites with adjoining rooms are the very large 1BR Presidential/etc suites.

Maybe the properties where you're seeing both rooms upgraded regularly will upgrade your second room to your usual upgrade as Gold, while you get suite?

Hopefully you'll get lucky with some 2BR suite upgrades sometime

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 17, 2006 at 2:32 pm
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
...Just wondering what to expect and looking forward to seeing what happens.

SDFLYER
By policy the upgrade is intended to be for the member, so whatever room the member has is the one that is subject to being upgraded. I've seen others report here at Flyertalk that some hotels are more generous than this on occasion, so YMMV. However, I would expect and look forward to only your room being upgraded.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I would think the only suites with adjoining rooms are the very large 1BR Presidential/etc suites.

Maybe the properties where you're seeing both rooms upgraded regularly will upgrade your second room to your usual upgrade as Gold, while you get suite?

Hopefully you'll get lucky with some 2BR suite upgrades sometime
--------------------------------
I won't be complaining and it would be a nice problem to have. But, the reason that I raise the question is that when I travel with my children, we need to have adjoining rooms. We've often have both rooms upgraded to the club floor or a preferred view etc. as a gold. Now I'm wondering if I were to get a terrific suite upgrade for one of the rooms whether I'd actually end up turning it down in order to have adjoining rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.