Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: EBD, Radisson Plat, Marriot Gold
Thumbs up

Stayed at the W Dallas on C&P Fri 11.3- Sat 12.3 and got a Cool corner suite (or room, I'm not an expert on the W room types). Great room with a large balcony, two sitting areas and a nice view.

The staff was great, very helpful and nice. Especially both the congierges I had contact with, helped me with directions, the courtesy Acura transports, getting a really good rate on a rental car.

This was really great location also going to the hockey game. I didn't have any noice/party trouble, of course for a while after the game ended there were people outside the hotel, but that ended quite soon.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: aa EXP, dl GM, mar LTPLT, hh DIA, spg PLT, ich AMB, nat EE, hertz PC
Stayed here on 3/19 as we had a party downtown and thought I would give it a shot.

Valet and staff out front was great. Bellman was a little disappointed that all I had was a small bag and could handle it by myself.

Checking in was a little different. I booked a level of room and thats what I got.. so that's OK. Don't get upgraded all the time. As I was checking in.. she handed me the keys and said "We have the wonderful room you booked" I asked if there were any upgrades available. She said upgrades were not guaranteed. I said I knew this and asked if there was anything about my Platinum status.. Her response was.. "Yes.. its in the computer" I stated.. "Well.. wasn't sure since you didn't say anything" end of discussion.

The rest of my stay was great.. had a fantastic time.. but this one incident will keep me from going back.. but that's just me and others seem to have had better staff at the front desk.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Stayed here on April 28, a Friday night. Upgraded from Wonderful room to Marvelous Suite.

Bellmen and Acura service were among the best at a W, and willing to provide transport within 2-3 miles of the hotel.

Upon arrival in the room, I had a personalized luggage tag with my name pre-printed on the inside, and a W Dallas Victory logo on the outside.

Water pressure was an issue, as it was difficult to regulate the temperature in the shower...but that was my only complaint.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA:EX Plat ; SPG:Platinum ; Hertz: Presdent's Circle
Stayed at the Exact same room layout. Mine was 301. Balcony Facing the AT&T Plaza of the American Airlines Center
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
As a tourist. Place to be.

I was going to do the Hyatt downtown as it was much less than W. But being in the right spot as a tourist is more important. How is the W location for being a tourist? Any and all comments appreciated. Any other chain hotel better located aka Hilton, Hyatt or Starwood? Thank you.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
W Dallas begins its first major room refurb starting this month!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Thumbs down W Dallas Defeat

This is my 17th W property I've stayed at, and while there is nothing TECHNICALLY wrong with the property, it was by far one of the most disappointing W properties I've ever been to.

I booked a reservation through the platinum concierge, and was "upsold" a Marvelous Suite, and upon arrival, I was extremely disappointed. It was nothing more than 2 rooms with a pass through door - which in itself was fine I suppose. The real problem is the decor is just plain DRAB! The are dingy blue carpets that match the dingy blue couches, which are also the same color as the depressing blue walls - completely monochromatic and uninspiring.

If anyone has ever stayed at an ALOFT, you will understand where they got their style from (although ALOFT executed it better, but otherwise the materials and finishes are EXACTLY the same; same blue walls; same faux wood finish; same tiles in the bathroom; they modeled ALOFT after this W!!)

We complained about our room, and were told by several people their favorite room was the cool corner, so we were "downgraded" to that room. The cool corner was MUCH MUCH better than the marvelous suite, although after a few mins discussing our experience, we decided that we didn't want to stay. Instead of this W being a quiet retreat, it was gloomy and depressing. We didn't stay, and instead opted to check out and move to the Joule Dallas - which is an amazing place.

If you're looking for a modern clean hotel, i'm sure the W Dallas Victory is a fine place, but if you have come to expect the W to be above the bar in terms of styling and comfort, you'll be disappointed with this space, especially for the price...

Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Anyone been here lately?
What's offered as the Breakfast for Platinums?
Old May 11, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Inconsistency

Figured it was about time I add my $0.08 to this thread

I've been staying here 3-4 nights/week since March (with another couple months to go). I kinda have a love hate relationship with the hotel. The hotel is in a great location (esp. compared to the Joule - which is an objectively better hotel), particularly if you enjoy running. The Katy trail running path starts right next door, along with a number of restaurants that are walking distance. While the Mavs and Stars are no longer playing, it was a fun vibe when they were there.

I also love the people there - they are consistently among the nicest, most friendly folks, whether its 6am or 9pm. In particular, the folks in the lobby are super friendly.

Now for the bad - after 9 weeks, I'm 0/9 on upgrades. This is true for my colleagues as well (like me, all varying levels of Plat). I understand the hotel is busy, but really - you can't ever give me an upgrade? It's not a huge deal as I don't spend that much time in the room anyway, but it would be a nice acknowledgement.

As mentioned earlier, the hotel isn't wearing great. It's not in bad shape, but could definitely use a bit of a spiff up. Not hugely worrysome, but the Joule is much nicer.

The biggest problem, and I've written to the GM about this (with no response, of course), is the complete inconsistency of service. On various weeks, I've had no soap in my room, no munchie box, no menu, no body wash, no water, no bath mat, etc. It's not even just week to week, but often day to day. I request Green Choice every week - sometimes they come to clean anyway (one of the few 'nice' benefits of inconsistency). They do seem to always manage to charge me for water (regardless of whether I drink it), frequently after the fact, causing me to have to call time and time again to remove a series of $6.55 charges. It doesn't matter how many times I tell them, and how many 'notes they make on my profile', I keep getting it.

None of these issues is 'big' enough for me to take my biz over to the Joule (or the Ritz - which trumps both and if they had a better points program would be infinitely more appealing). But it is constantly frustrating to be someone who's already put in 30+ nights at a single property in the past 2 months and to have to deal with this.

BTW - I haven't taken the plat breakfast benefit, so I can't comment. And haven't been to Ghostbar either (its not really happening M-Th) so no ability to talk about that either.

It's not a bad hotel, but it could be so much better.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum100, Marriott Platinum
Best part of the hotel is the sushi place down the block.

The rooms are not great.

The gym is terrible because they let locals in and all the machines are full by 6am. I have stayed there about 10 times and had to make sure I'm up there by 545 to get one of their older elliptical machines or I'm sol.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
W Hotel Dallas

Has anyone stayed here recently and can comment on the pool/pool area? i have a weekend booked there in May and my spouse likes to recline by the pool. Any views on the conditions of the lounge chairs, amount of deck area in the sun, cleaniness, etc..?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:45 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the Fantastic Suite? or know if this property would be able to upgrade someone from a Fantastic Suite to a better room?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:45 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by krazieman
Does anyone have any pictures of the Fantastic Suite? or know if this property would be able to upgrade someone from a Fantastic Suite to a better room?
I used a suite upgrade here and was given a marvelous suite, so yes they are able to upgrade to higher suites. In my experience though, this hotel is not one of the better hotels as far as upgrades go.

Basically the fantastic and the marvelous suites consist of a normal room, connected to another normal room converted to a living room (L-shaped sofa, desk and TV on the opposite wall). The main difference between the marvelous and the fantastic, is the marvelous extends further out from the hotel and has a dining area against the windows. The fantastic is just the size of two normal rooms. There isn't that much difference between them. I've also stayed in a WOW suite before, and it is larger, but compared to a couple other WOW suites I've seen, it's nothing special.

The suites are nice if you need the extra space, but there isn't really anything special about them. The bedrooms in all the suites are just the normal rooms and then the connecting room is converted into a living room. I've stayed here probably a dozen times, and usually I'm only upgraded to a high floor or a mega room. The only time I've seen the suites is with using a suite upgrade and once more during a unique situation where another SPG hotel lost my reservation.

Last edited by spgplat21; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 11, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I used a suite upgrade here and was given a marvelous suite, so yes they are able to upgrade to higher suites. In my experience though, this hotel is not one of the better hotels as far as upgrades go.

Basically the fantastic and the marvelous suites consist of a normal room, connected to another normal room converted to a living room (L-shaped sofa, desk and TV on the opposite wall). The main difference between the marvelous and the fantastic, is the marvelous extends further out from the hotel and has a dining area against the windows. The fantastic is just the size of two normal rooms. There isn't that much difference between them. I've also stayed in a WOW suite before, and it is larger, but compared to a couple other WOW suites I've seen, it's nothing special.

The suites are nice if you need the extra space, but there isn't really anything special about them. The bedrooms in all the suites are just the normal rooms and then the connecting room is converted into a living room. I've stayed here probably a dozen times, and usually I'm only upgraded to a high floor or a mega room. The only time I've seen the suites is with using a suite upgrade and once more during a unique situation where another SPG hotel lost my reservation.
Thanks so much for the response! I booked a fantastic suite here, hoping to get a better room, but it sounds like it's all pretty much the same. I remember getting the Wow suite at the W Austin and it was pretty amazing though.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP - SPG PLT
Stayed here over the weekend in a Marvelous Suite because apparently rooms at The Joule can no longer be procured with points due to it leaving SPG.

The Good - The hotel is in an awesome location and the valet parking is inexpensive relative to other W properties I've been to. The Marvelous Suite does indeed have the dining area and an additional half bath. Breakfast amenity includes coffee, OJ, and assorted pastries.

The Bad - Nothing earthshattering, however the hotel just feels sloppy. When I went to call the front desk about the iPod speaker that didn't work, the phone in the living room didn't work. The next morning the phone in the bedroom didn't work.

After checkout I was over charged for parking. Honest mistake and I called the accounting dept to reconcile which was handled promptly. On the email back, I was addressed as "Mrs." instead of "Mr." I would hope that a showcase property like this would be more detail oriented.

I would try the Stoneleigh or Sheraton before thinking about staying at this W again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.