Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 1:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold; AAdvantage Gold; HH Gold
Just completed what was a tremendously unpleasant stay at the W Dallas Victory.

Though room and service were fine, it seems that the Living Room and the Ghost Bar just don't give people enough space to get sh*tface wasted, so the guestrooms and hallways have become appealing options for that.

I suppose my first warning was when, at check-in, I was asked to sign a "Sweet Dreams Agreement" or something of the sort. Essentially, it was a piece of paper stating I promised not to throw a party in my room or have a bunch of non-guests in my room. Seeing I was in town on business and had no such intent, I had no problem signing it. Apparently a) I was the only one they asked to sign it or b) having people sign it is all they do, and actually enforcing it isn't something they care about.

On both nights of my stay, the hallways of my floor were full of the sounds of drunk groups of college kids (perhaps a few slightly older) running up and down the hallways, making tons of noise, slamming doors, and going from room to room. It reminded me of my fraternity house in college. All thoroughly drunk and as loud as could be. Just walking down the hallway to the elevator made it obvious that about half the rooms on my floor were full of people drinking and smoking.

The next night was even worse. A big fight erupted in the hallway that night. Tons of screaming and yelling and drunken idiots doing drunken, idiotic things. I was even treated to the sound of the room service tray I'd left out earlier in the evening flying down the hallway and being kicked around by some drunk kid. Fun. Lasted at least 30 minutes. My call downstairs to report it apparently did nothing to stop it. Eventually it died down close to 4am. There continued to be the occasional outburst, slamming doors, drunk groups of guys or girls moving down the hallway, and screams and yells until about 7AM.

Earlier that evening, while downstairs and waiting for my car at valet, I actually overheard some kid discussing how it was a matter of routine to get a room at the W on a Fri or Sat night so that they could all get wasted drunk and not have to worry about being carded. In other words, bring a suit case full of booze and your underage friends can drink too! Yay, W!

Again, seems the hotel knows it has an issue with people having decided that the "thing to do" is get a room at the W Dallas so you and all your buddies can use it as a place to get drunk at. Thus that silly piece of paper I signed. But I didn't see any effort beyond that piece of paper at check-in to do anything about it. Calls downstairs seemed to have no impact. Complaints at checkout just got a, "Oh, we know. It sucks." response like they know it's a problem and yet haven't figured out what to do about it (or whether they should do anything at all).

A prior, weekday stay at the W Dallas went without incident. But after this most recent stay, I'll be avoiding it.

I'd suggest anyone be wary of staying here on a Friday or Saturday night. Unless you're an underage college kid who wants to do Jagerbombs all night, get in fights, and break sh*t. Then, this is definitely the hotel for you!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Next time you should probably try the Joule downtown. Charlie Palmers is a good resturaunt and there are a few others in walking distance.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by envgeo
Next time you should probably try the Joule downtown. Charlie Palmers is a good resturaunt and there are a few others in walking distance.
in my experience the Joule is as much of a party scene as the W
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:36 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Stayed here on one of my free weekend nights last night... It hasn't gotten much better than the last post.

Went to check in between 4 and 5pm. The room wasn't ready. I asked if I could get an upgrade (SPG Gold) and was told the hotel was sold out for the night. The welcome desk was a hodge-podge of peoples bags everywhere, people pissed their rooms weren't ready, and party people wanting to get that party started. They took my phone number and I got a call about an hour and a half later (told it would be about 30 minutes). It was fine with me, things happen.

Checked in, I was put in a Wonderful Room... I've had more "wonderful" rooms at a Sheraton. It was about what I expected... a more is less type of atmosphere. Dark hallways... small rooms.

Went to the pool, which is supposed to be the great defining feature of the hotel. It looked like you'd walked in a frat house on a Sunday morning. Chairs everywhere... Empty cups... Towels all over the place. The pool attendants weren't concerned with anything but waitering the drinks to the few people who were still around. When I asked if the bar was still open, the door was actually shut in my face by the waitress.

While I understand that the patrons aren't the hotels fault, it is their responsibility to control or get rid of them. Even at 250 a night.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Question: is there any reason to choose the W vs. the Joule? I'll have a car, would like an upgrade (am Platinum), and trying not to get up too early nor stay up too late. Will more likely be dining out than eating in.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 2:08 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Spiff
Question: is there any reason to choose the W vs. the Joule? I'll have a car, would like an upgrade (am Platinum), and trying not to get up too early nor stay up too late. Will more likely be dining out than eating in.
I just posted a mini-review of the Joule in the Joule Master thread. AFter staying at the W Victory 4-5 times I much prefer the Joule.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I had an extremely plesant stay at the end of January. Staff very corteous, nice upgrade to a cool corner suite Room 501.

From reading the earlier posts, my stay was during the week, and not the weekends, so I guess I must have missed the frat party atmosphere that seems to take place.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
I have stayed at the Victory perhaps a dozen times in the last two years. Great upgrades, good location (for me), nice staff, super restaurant, I like the sushi place just up the street.

it's a keeper in my book.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Originally Posted by Spiff
I would imagine the W would be able to give you an upgrade more than likely than the Joule based on size. The W also offers more different types of suites. Though obviously it all depends upon occupancy.

Unless you can secure the penthouse, or the 2 floor suite at the Joule, I would put my money on the W. Both places are pretty stingy with upgrades from what I can tell unless you're SPG Plat.

The W has a parking garage/ lot across the street that charges $5/$10 compared to the the $20 valet. Whereas the Joule doesn't really have any alternative parking options for people with cars.

Last edited by upgrade.me; Feb 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm
Old May 21, 2010, 3:21 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Does anyone have any experience with the Wow or E-wow suite here? Currently booked into the Wow suite in a couple of months, and trying to decide if it is worth it to get an upgrade (paid or complimentary) to the E-wow suite.

Edit: Was offered a paid upgrade for an additional $500 a night. Seems to be a good deal as most E-wow Suites I've seen sell for over $1000 (though this property does not list theirs online) but would like some input before I commit.

Last edited by NDDomer86; May 21, 2010 at 4:05 pm
Old Jul 9, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Thumbs up Recent Report

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Just as an FYI, hotel guests are given complimentary access to Ghost Bar until 9 PM. After that time, there is a cover charge for everyone who isn't on the VIP list.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

I stayed at the W Dallas - Victory last Friday, July 2, 2010.

Low Points:
-Check-in agent was curt as expected
-Room wasn't well-cleaned (I rearranged the loungey chairs, there was gum, etc., under where they had been)
-Charged $13 for 'munchie box' and had to call back to talk to someone in accounting to get the charge removed
-Ghost Bar apparently doesn't open until 9pm, so I'm not sure about Lurker's comment above regarding complimentary access for hotel guests

High Points:
-Parking is not hard to find nearby. Three blocks east of the hotel, there are a few 12-hour meters. They run 7am to midnight 7 days a week, but are only 25 cents an hour compared to the exorbitant rates charged at hotels.
-Great Gold upgrade to a 600-square foot Cool Corner Room with nice balcony and great view
-Nice workout facility and pool
-There was no 'frat party' atmosphere like I expected there would be for a holiday-weekend Friday night
-Good rate - $164.25 on a BRG

Overall, I was very pleased with the stay and found that the experience well exceeded the expectations that I had developed from other FT posts.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Wyndham, AA
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Check-in agent was curt as expected
How was check in curt?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by upgrade.me
How was check in curt?
Google's dictionary:
curt: marked by rude or peremptory shortness

We didn't do the $25 valet parking - we parked three blocks away and walked in the other doors. The check-in guy might have just been surprised that we were checking in (as opposed to returning from somewhere else), but we both felt a little "unwelcomed." He didn't say 'welcome' at first - I handed him my iD and credit card and told him my last name. He paused. "Checking in?" he asked. "Yes," I nodded. "Oh, well welcome," he said, and that was all until he handed me the key and said, "You're in a cool corner room, Room 401." I had to ask where the elevators were.

Just a tone thing, I guess. On a positive note, the Whatever/Whenever desk agents were always very friendly and fun to be around. I brought back some food for breakfast, so on the way to the hotel, I called them and they were more than happy to leave some bowls, spoons, etc., in the room at no charge, which were there when I returned.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Thanks for the reviews everyone. I almost booked a week long stay at this hotel, and will now be choosing another property.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:15 pm

Stayed at the W Friday, March 11 to Saturday, March 12. I am not a big fan of the typical W that retrofits an older hotel, so this build-to suit was a very nice change. Front desk was extremely pleasant, from upgrading me to a Fantastic Suite on the 15th floor to giving me a couple of drink coupons gratis. Valet parking was $24 overnight, and my car was brought up promptly upon departure. The suite was great, with 11-12' ceilings. I had to request ice as the machine was either empty or inoperative, but a large bucket was delivered promptly. Great stay, all in all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.