Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uxb
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

POSTING FORMAT :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to

Previous years discussion:
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures
Report your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2011
Post your Platinum upgrade FAILURES 2012
Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]
Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2015
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
How is this a failure?
Updated my comments.
Was told hotel was full with no upgrades available, checked on the website and executive rooms were available.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
How is this a failure?
Why does there have to be a service failure to appear in this thread? If upgrades are important to me, and there's a property showing up on this thread as consistently sold out, that's a helpful data point in my decision making process.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post Sheraton Miyako Hotel Osaka

Property: Sheraton Miyako Hotel Osaka
Dates(s): January 2016 (2 nights)
Room booked: Guest Room (2 single beds) - renovated
Room received: Non-renovated room
Award stay: No
BRG stay: No
SNA(s) requested: N/A
Comments: Guest Rooms according to the booking is supposed to be newly renovated. Seems I received a non-renovated room. Was too tired to check with frontdesk after my trip from Hyogo prefecture. Hotel is fully booked though.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by marubill
Updated my comments.
Was told hotel was full with no upgrades available, checked on the website and executive rooms were available.
the website and the hotels reservation system do not sync and are not in real time.

Originally Posted by vandalby
Why does there have to be a service failure to appear in this thread? If upgrades are important to me, and there's a property showing up on this thread as consistently sold out, that's a helpful data point in my decision making process.
Because its a misleading fact. Since we do not know availability of a particular hotel on a particular date and the website doesn't show availability in real time, we don't know if properties are really denying published benefits.

In the situation I questioned, Four Points do not have club levels.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
the website and the hotels reservation system do not sync and are not in real time.
Is this true though ? Can these claims be substantiated ?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Is this true though ? Can these claims be substantiated ?
The lurkers posted it.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Because its a misleading fact. Since we do not know availability of a particular hotel on a particular date and the website doesn't show availability in real time, we don't know if properties are really denying published benefits.
The state of SPG's technology to tell us availability in real time is irrelevant. This is a thread whereby FTers are actually checking into a property and being upgraded or not. In fact, this is probably the most reliable data element we have.

Again, if someone checks in, and is told by the front desk there's no availability for an upgrade, and that's what's reported here...great. That's exactly the kind of information we need. Whether the property's position is the truth or not, or whether we can call them out or not doesn't matter. Knowing that certain properties consistently don't upgrade Platinums for any reason, legitimate to the SPG T&Cs or not, is very helpful in determining where to stay if upgrades are important to someone.

It seems like in the SPG forum, we spend more time debating hypotheticals and religious adherence to nonsense T&Cs as opposed to reporting what is actually happening on the ground.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vandalby
The state of SPG's technology to tell us availability in real time is irrelevant. This is a thread whereby FTers are actually checking into a property and being upgraded or not. In fact, this is probably the most reliable data element we have.

Again, if someone checks in, and is told by the front desk there's no availability for an upgrade, and that's what's reported here...great. That's exactly the kind of information we need. Whether the property's position is the truth or not, or whether we can call them out or not doesn't matter. Knowing that certain properties consistently don't upgrade Platinums for any reason, legitimate to the SPG T&Cs or not, is very helpful in determining where to stay if upgrades are important to someone.

It seems like in the SPG forum, we spend more time debating hypotheticals and religious adherence to nonsense T&Cs as opposed to reporting what is actually happening on the ground.
I'll give you that and I've said the same each year. Each hotel, each stay for each guests is going to have different parameters.

However, I'm trying to understand a NON upgrade at a Four Points with very limited (Junior) suites and no club level.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
However, I'm trying to understand a NON upgrade at a Four Points with very limited (Junior) suites and no club level.
That particular Four Points does have club level rooms
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The lurkers posted it.
As per the wording of your post : I don't believe the Lurkers have said anything to the effect that the website and the hotels reservation system do not sync with each other. They also haven't said that either of these systems do not operate in real time.

What they have said is that room availability as shown on the website may not be the same as that in the hotels system at a particular instance in time. That is all.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:59 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Property: Sheraton Pasadena
Date(s): 7-9 February 2016
Room booked: Traditional
Room received: Traditional, bi-level
Award stay: no
BRG stay: yes
SNAs redeemed: no
Comments: Apparently, this was an upgrade. Not sure how since it wasn't on the club level. Located in Guam and I had to climb stairs to use the W/C. It was more annoying than anything else.

Property: Westin Puerto Vallarta
Date(s): 14-20 February 2016
Room booked: Deluxe, partial ocean view
Room received: Deluxe, partial ocean view
Award stay: no
BRG stay: yes
SNAs redeemed: no
Comments: I had two rooms. I wasn't looking for an upgrade to my room because we needed the double beds. It would've been nice if my mum's room was upgraded though. Oh well.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:40 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Property: The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Date(s): 3/30 - 4/2 2016
Room booked: Deluxe Studio Suite
Room received: Deluxe Studio Suite
Award stay: Yes
SNAs redeemed: submitted 6 weeks out, didn't clear.
Comments: Spring break week, no upgrades. I get it. Haven't had an SNA clear in 2+ years, which is very disappointing. I had to ask if there were ANY upgrades available which there wasn't due to capacity, but we are enjoying our low floor with no complimentary water and a fantastic view of a tree and nothing else. Probably the most bare-bones stay I've ever had as a Plat.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:59 pm

Property : The Westin Buckhead Atlanta
Dates(s) : 3/30-3/31/16
Room booked : Corner King
Room received : (if different than above): Corner King
Award stay :: (yes/no), NO
BRG stay : (yes/no), NO
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no), NO
Comments : No upgrade, no recognition of platinum status upon checkin. Had booking agent request 4PM checkout - they told me upon arrival they couldn't do this. This is my first time in 3 Years in the SPG Program (2 as Gold, 1 as Platinum) that I have had a hotel tell me they can't honor a late checkout request. Should have went with my gut and booked the St. Regis instead!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by emcnj
Property : The Westin Buckhead Atlanta
Dates(s) : 3/30-3/31/16
Room booked : Corner King
Room received : (if different than above): Corner King
Comments : No upgrade, no recognition of platinum status upon checkin. Had booking agent request 4PM checkout - they told me upon arrival they couldn't do this. This is my first time in 3 Years in the SPG Program (2 as Gold, 1 as Platinum) that I have had a hotel tell me they can't honor a late checkout request. Should have went with my gut and booked the St. Regis instead!
I like this property and they have generally treated elite members well.

The corner King rooms are very big. Regarding, late check out, call corporate customer service as someone doesn't know the rules. You should have requested a manager at that very moment as well.
Old May 8, 2016, 6:33 pm

Property : The Westin Key West Resort & Marina
Dates(s) : 5/31-6/4
Room booked : 3x Traditional Room (Double Queen)
Room received : (if different than above):
Comments : Came in on a Saturday morning, naturally hotel was fully booked. Pre-arranged my booking with manager on site. Was hoping at the very least after people tare out of there on Sunday they would have suggested an upgrade, alas that did not happen. Was pretty upset for the amount of coin I dropped at this place. Would absolutely not return to this resort and will be booking the Casa Marina on my next return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.