Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2016 : Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG
• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using any other category of room - if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will be modified to match the room type you are claiming for
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.
• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities that are included in the external website's rate but which are not included in the Starwood rate may or may not be provided.
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. Your initial booking should also be only for one occupant. If you require a room for more than one, indicate this in the comments section. The BRG team will verify if additional charges are required for more than one occupant and the rate will be modified accordingly.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Company Room Provider:
Other Company Room Provider:
Competing rate:
Comments:

Q: Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?
A: Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2016 : Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It may or may not change to $1, 1 Euro, 1 wing wong, etc.
Then it may or may not change to the approved BRG rate.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
Just to be clear..... When a successful BRG is issued, will the rate you seen on starwoodhotels.com change or not?

Thanks
I have never had my rate change online to anything other then BEST GUARANTEE RATE text

However all but one of my stays has been billed correctly at the hotel. The one stay where this did not happen it was eventually corrected at the front desk by managment

That was the first and only time I have had to show a BRG email at a hotel and I have had a few BRG stays
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by kauppias
That was the first and only time I have had to show a BRG email at a hotel and I have had a few BRG stays
I have billing issues on perhaps 1 in 10 BRG stays -- most often, due to inclusions like breakfast that were approved, but didn't make it into the hotel's system, followed by tax issues. These arise when filing a claim for a hotel in a ++ country (taxes/fees excluded from the rate) against a competing site that's based in a country that requires final prices (including taxes/fees) and the agent fails to approve the BRG in the format used by the hotel. For instance, this weekend, I had a BRG with an approved rate of $134 at a hotel in the US; the competing site was in Europe, so the agent stated the rate as $134 all-in, and the hotel took that to mean $134+. I had it sorted out at the hotel, but it's good policy, when a rate is quoted in the incorrect "format," to ask the BRG desk to re-state the price in a way the hotel is used to.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:38 am

I had a BRG approved, chose the 2,000 points. Have completed the stay and it has been posted.

When I read the BRG email again, it says:

Your 2,000 Starpoints per room, per stay to a maximum of three rooms will be credited to your account with your stay as long as all Best Rate Guarantee Terms & Conditions have been fulfilled. If they do not post with your stay, please contact us back and we can assist further. Have a great day."

Am I right to interpret that the 2,000 points should had been credited together at the same time when the stay was posted in my account? Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:22 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by appledabble
I had a BRG approved, chose the 2,000 points. Have completed the stay and it has been posted.

When I read the BRG email again, it says:

Your 2,000 Starpoints per room, per stay to a maximum of three rooms will be credited to your account with your stay as long as all Best Rate Guarantee Terms & Conditions have been fulfilled. If they do not post with your stay, please contact us back and we can assist further. Have a great day."

Am I right to interpret that the 2,000 points should had been credited together at the same time when the stay was posted in my account? Thanks.
Yes, most of the times it does but sometimes you need to email them to get it done just reply to the BRG email they will take care of it
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:27 am

Yes, most of the times it does but sometimes you need to email them to get it done just reply to the BRG email they will take care of it
I see. Thanks for sharing I usually choose the 20%, first time chose the 2,000 points
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by appledabble
I see. Thanks for sharing I usually choose the 20%, first time chose the 2,000 points
For me I choose the 2000pts 90% of the time as I value them at 50$ if the room is over 250$ then I choose the 20%
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:06 am

For me I choose the 2000pts 90% of the time as I value them at 50$ if the room is over 250$ then I choose the 20%
Yeah. I'm absolutely aligned with u on that
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Hotel Name: DesignHotels Kruisheren Hotel Maastricht (Netherlands)
Arrival Date: 3 nights in May
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Executive
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: €223
Company Room Provider: Hoteltravel
Competing rate: €200
Comments: Took 20% off, €169,50 (incl. city tax)

Hotel Name: Grosvenor House, Dubai
Arrival Date: 1 night in May
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 2
Room Type: Deluxe Suite incl. breakfast for 2
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: €418
Company Room Provider: Gala Hotels
Competing rate: €271
Comments: took the 2000 pts

I never knew it could be so much fun to find BRG's I almost never pay normal rate anymore

Last edited by kevinflyaway; Apr 30, 2016 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
my first successful claim of this brand

Hotel Name: Mainport, Rotterdam, a Member of Design Hotels™
Date : 3 nights in May 2016
Number of Adults : 2
Room Type : deluxe room
Starwood Rate : EUR 0 (there is no availability of deluxe room on spg.com)
Competing Website : hotels.com
Competing rate : USD 624.70
Comments : found competing website via kayak.com.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent

Actual confirmed rate: 139.94 EUR per night, including Vat, excluding City tax (174.92 EUR less 20%)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Country Name : Turkey
State Name :
City Name : Istanbul
Hotel Name: Le Méridien Istanbul Etiler
Number of Adults :1
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type On Reservation: Deluxe, non-smoking
Rate On Reservation : EUR 155.0
New Starwood Room Type : DLX inc Breakfast
New Starwood Rate : EUR 155
Competing Website : Gala hotels
Competing rate : GBP 307

Actual confirmed rate: 122.12 Euro per night, plus tax

Took less than an hour. Well done SPG BRG
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
New Starwood Rate : EUR 155
Competing Website : Gala hotels
Competing rate : GBP 307
Is this backwards? It sure looks like the competing rate is significantly higher than the Starwood rate.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:24 pm

Hotel Name: Le Dokhan's Paris, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Paris
Date : 5 nights in April 2016
Number of Adults : 2
Room Type : Deluxe room
Starwood Rate : EUR 298
Competing Website : hotels.com
Competing rate : AUD 1515
BRG Reward : 20% off

Actual confirmed rate: 158.36 EUR inclusive of VAT, per night, excluding City Tax (197.95 EUR less 20%)

Previously under Radisson Blu, recently joined SPG. Very happy with final BRG rates.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
There is passage in my recent booking confirmation (the one you can send to yourself via spg.com, not the BRG confirmation sent by the BRG team) that I have not seen before:

Special services for all rooms:
July 30, 2016 - August 05, 2016
Rate Plan: BEST RATE GUARANTEE
AWARD REQUIRED per room and stay

What does AWARD mean in this context? Have you seen this before?
Old May 1, 2016, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LennartH
Special services for all rooms:
July 30, 2016 - August 05, 2016
Rate Plan: BEST RATE GUARANTEE
AWARD REQUIRED per room and stay

What does AWARD mean in this context? Have you seen this before?
I think it's a bad line break. What it probably should be is "BEST RATE GUARANTEE AWARD REQUIRED per room and stay" which means you took the 2,000 point option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.