Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Question re: Cat 1-4 cert & what I can do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

My LA trip isn't going to happen, so figured I'd stay at the JW Marriott Grand Rapids sometime between now & end of year.

But I also have an annual holiday party in December & have invited an aunt/uncle & cousin/his fiancee. They live across the state so they've not made it in the past due to drive/paying hotel bill.

But it occured to me that if the Cat 1-4s are transferable, I could offer them a free night as an enticement, along with where I live is fabulous during the holiday season etc.

I think I remember that Cat 1-4 certs are not transferable, but thought I'd check here. Are they transferable? If so, that would be the easiest (assuming my relatives actually have the evening of the party free).

An alternative would be I could book the 2 rooms under my name & go over & check in & then have them swing by my house to pick up the keys/get the room #. But I'd need to use both certs on the same night (night of the party) - is that possible? I'm single so I've never tried to book 2 rooms for the same night (LOL), but I vaguely remember others with families doing so.

I'm missing the cousin/fiancee's engagement party this weekend due to a conflict, and am missing their wedding next September due to annual Amsterdam biz trip.

So if I can make this happen for them (and his parents) I'd like to do so. If not, then I'll just use them at the JW GR & explore downtown.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
As far as I know if the Cat. 1-4 certificate is from the Megabonus then the certificate is not transferable.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:54 am

We always book a second room for our kids, and I have never had a problem doing so using the cat 1-4's. The elite line is happy to do it for you, but you can also do it online. IIRC, the only hiccup is that you have to make two separate reservations if you book online, since I don't think there is a way to attach two certificates to two different rooms in the same reservation. Well, maybe there is, and I am just not smart enough to find it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

An alternative would be I could book the 2 rooms under my name & go over & check in & then have them swing by my house to pick up the keys/get the room #. But I'd need to use both certs on the same night (night of the party) - is that possible? I'm single so I've never tried to book 2 rooms for the same night (LOL), but I vaguely remember others with families doing so.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers.

The above should be doable without any problems.

Alternatively, depending when they each arrive and your party's time, you could have them meet you at your house and then go to check them all in.

Don't know where you live so can't comment on appropriate hotels, however, Residence Inn suite tyep hotels should not present any problems of parties of 3 or more.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As stated, technically, the certs are not transferable. But there are no restrictions on how many you can use for any one night except that you are supposed to be in at least one of the rooms.

With that said, my wife and my parents have used mine before without any issues. But they have the same last name as mine and that may allow most hotels to "overlook" the non-transferability clause.

Your alternative strategy should work just fine. And actually, they could probably check-in and get their keys just fine without you having to get them. So unless you just want them to come by your house, they could just go directly to the hotel. If you've already checked-in, I'd let the check-in person know they will be coming by later and will pick up their keys at that time. (It might help to let the check-in person know which room will be yours and which will be theirs.)

Most Marriott's seem to be fairly accomodating in this area. I once had a 3-bedroom MVCI property on an award and my friends arrived before I did. The hotel went ahead and checked them in and gave them keys. They only asked that I drop by when I get there so they could swip my CC.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

The relatives last name match each other's, but not mine.

Marriott properties where I live are RI & FI. I'd prefer to book the RI because some out-of-town party guests will also be staying there, but I'll go with whichever of the 2 is available & even split them if I have to (ie, 1 room is available at each property). RI is 2.5miles from my house & FI is 5 miles, so not a huge difference.

If I call the Marriott line, do I add their names to the reservation or are both rooms in my name only?

I'm assuming I'd need to do a credit card swipe at some point, hence my thought of going over & picking up the keys/get the room #s. But if I could tell the hotel they'll be arriving after me & to hold the keys for them/let them check-in, that would be easier for me as day of party is quite hectic with running around picking up food/drink & getting it all laid out, as well as airport runs for those who fly in for the party.

Cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver Premier, IHG Platinum
I in the past have been able to book the cat 1-4 room using the cert online and then calling MR to change the reservation name to the person staying.

Perhaps you could try that?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
If I call the Marriott line, do I add their names to the reservation or are both rooms in my name only?

But if I could tell the hotel they'll be arriving after me & to hold the keys for them/let them check-in, that would be easier for me...
I'd probably call MR and ask them to add at least one of their names to the reservation. It probably doesn't matter if you add them specifically to one of the rooms or just to the general reservation.

And if you are checking-in before they arrive, I would definitely talk to the check-in agent, letting them know that they will be arriving later and you would like for them to get keys to the room when they arrive. The hotel should be able to accomodate that type of request fairly easily.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone!

Cheers.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Just booked 2 nights under my name, and emailed the relatives. We'll see if they make it over. If not I can cancel & book the JW/use the nights for myself.

Cheers.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:49 am

Smile

Just booked 2 nights under my name, and emailed the relatives. We'll see if they make it over. If not I can cancel & book the JW/use the nights for myself.

Cheers.
I'm in a similar situation. The Marriott rewards is in my husband's name and I would like to use it for my parents. I went ahead and booked the 2 nights. Should I call up Marriott rewards again or the hotel directly to add my mother's name to the reservation ? Also, what is the number to the elite line ? Can anybody call the elite line or do I have to acquire an elite status. Thanks so much.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uvasag
I'm in a similar situation. The Marriott rewards is in my husband's name and I would like to use it for my parents. I went ahead and booked the 2 nights. Should I call up Marriott rewards again or the hotel directly to add my mother's name to the reservation ? Also, what is the number to the elite line ? Can anybody call the elite line or do I have to acquire an elite status. Thanks so much.
Call the hotel directly.

It's against FT policy to provide elite numbers publicly. Also, if you're not an elite, it is not appropriate to utilize that line.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:34 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by aacharya
Call the hotel directly.

It's against FT policy to provide elite numbers publicly. Also, if you're not an elite, it is not appropriate to utilize that line.
Thank you. I apologize for asking something that is against the forum's policy. I didn't realize it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Originally Posted by aacharya
Call the hotel directly.

really? once they get to the line and give their number, wont they be directed to the typical line?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgoedken
really? once they get to the line and give their number, wont they be directed to the typical line?
That's my assumption.

On a dif note & regarding my original situation, turns out the relatives have events on the other side of the state the same evening so can't make the party. So I'll cancel the RI & go ahead & book the JW. Just need to figure out when for the JW.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.