Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Arrow Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai [Master Thread]

Anyone stayed at this property, and can offer a brief review? What are the benefits for Platinums (i.e. breakfast, lounge, upgrades)? I'm flying into and out of Hongqiao Airport this time, and it seems this hotel is only a short ways from the airport.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Short Review of Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai, Stay on 29 July 2006

I flew from Beijing to Shanghai and landed at Hongqiao Airport. Flagged down a taxi to take me to the hotel, but the taxi driver didn't know where it was. Asked another driver, who didn't know either. Pretty soon, about 5-6 drivers were having a small conference how to get to the She Shan Tourist Area. I took out my mobile phone, called the hotel, and asked the Concierge to give directions to the driver. So, for anyone planning to stay at this hotel, either book a car to pick you up or have the taxi driver (or you) call the hotel for directions.

The hotel is advertised at 20 minutes from Hongqiao, but it took me about 35 minutes to get there. Granted, there was a lot of road construction going on. The taxi had to go through quite a few industrial areas, and then some pretty run down areas of Shanghai before getting to She Shan. The Le Meridien She Shan is situated in the Tourist Area, and is undoutedly the best hotel there.

Driving up to the hotel, I could see a lot of private cars parked around and outside. I guess a lot of local families come here for the weekend (it was a Saturday) to enjoy the place. The building is actually three wings. The entrance is at the centre building. Upon entering the lobby, I could just see how HUGE this place was. One side of the lobby was glass-enclosed and looked out to the (man-made?) lake and man-made beach (actually, just sand). I saw a lot of Chinese families in the lobby, all getting ready to go swimming or playing the beach. Suprisingly, some caucasian families here as well...maybe expats working in Shanghai and staying at the hotel for a weekend getaway.

Booked a rate of RMB 888/night via spg.com. This included a RMB 460 credit for F&B, which I used for dinner that night and in-room breakfast the next morning. Another rate which was available was RMB 718/night, with 2 buffet breakfasts included. Because of my platinum status, I was upgraded to a Junior Suite. Platinum amenity was not immediately offered, and I had to ask for it (it's the standard Platinum Amenity choices). There is no lounge in this hotel. Reception was manned by a gentleman and a lady, both quite young. Their english was not very proficient, which is surprising for a five-star hotel in Shanghai. This was probably the lowest English proficiency level I have encountered in Shanghai. They could converse, but not very fluently and confidently.

Anyway, I took the set of elevators right next to the Reception, to the top floor (the hotel only has 4 floors). This put me right between the centre and right wings. The corridors on the uppers floors were not air conditioned, and felt very, very stuffy and warm (it was 34 degrees in Shanghai). Now, I could really see how BIG this hotel was. The corridor leading from the elevators through the centre wing and to the last (left) wing seemed endless. And, it was just my luck that my room was at the left wing. So, a long walk.

I was totally taken aback by the size of the suite, room 4013. With the exception of my stay in a suite at the Grand Hyatt Bali, this suite has got to be one of the biggest suites I have ever been in...maybe 1,500 to 2,000 sq. ft.? There was nothing "Junior" about this suite. Entering the room, there is a guest washroom on the right-hand side. Then, a corner of the room is taken up by a huge mirror and cabinet, with a dining table in front. The table had 4 chairs, but could easily sit 8 people. There was a worktable and desk separating the dining room from the living room. The living room had an L-shaped sofa and a huge round coffee table, and then another single-seat sofa on the side. Along the wall was a huge LCD tv. The farthest wall was actually floor-to-ceiling window, which opened up to a balcony with lounge chairs and table. The balcony overlooked the park. A set of sliding double doors on one wall opens up to the bedroom. The bed is VERY comfortable, and I had an excellent night's sleep. Another huge LCD tv is in the bedroom. In one corner is a round sofa/chair which was very comortable to sit in and read my novel. The bedroom also opens up to another huge balcony. From the bedroom, you can walk though one door into a walk-in closet, and then through another door into a huge bathroom. The close and bathroom then connects again via a door on the the far end. A free-standing tub sits in the centre of the bathroom. There are two sinks. There is an enclosed toilet and also a separate (rain)shower. All the towels in the bathroom are stitched with blue lettering: "Executive Suite".

Although the room design was quite nice, the workmanship of the wood, trims, finish, paint, etc. was not very good. You could see drawers and cabinets which couldn't close properly, wood which was not sanded smooth, electric sockets and light switches with the cover not put on straight, some wires protruding, etc. It would have done the hotel to spend a little bit more time to get the finish right.

I went down for dinner at the Cafe on the lobby level around 7:00pm. This restaurant was also HUGE, and could come close to the size of some buffet restaurants in Las Vegas! Besides me, there was only one other table with two guests. Where was everyone? It turns out that most guests went out to the outdoor restaurant, where they were having a barbecue and grill. Not for me...I'd rather sit back in an airconditioned restaurant with my novel! The menu was typical "coffee shop menu". Prices similar to any five-star hotel in Shanghai city proper. I did see a buffet table and open kitchen in one corner, but the buffet was not being offered that evening. Later, around 8:00pm, some families with screaming children came to the restaurant for dinner. There goes my quiet reading time...back to the room.

I walked aroudn the hotel for awhile, and they do have many glass-enclosed conference rooms on the ground floor. And, function rooms and ballrooms are also quite numerous. In fact, there is also a store selling or renting (?) wedding gowns, so I would expect that the hotel hosts quite a lot of wedding parties. I looked into the swimming pool and gym, and they were too crowded with families. Not bad facilities, though.

I was planning to spend a relaxing morning the next day, but the electricity to my room promptly cut out at 11:00am sharp. I opened the door to my room, and looked out into the corridor, but all the lights were working. I called down to reception and asked why my room didn't have electricity, and he said they would send someone up to fix shortly. I didn't bother to wait, and decided to check out.

Checkout was quick. I was told not to wait for taxis because this resort is really far away from the city, and taxis just don't come here empty. So, I booked a limousine from the hotel to the Grand Hyatt Shanghai at RMB 200 (it should be RMB 250, but I get 20% limousine services included in my rate). Out of curiosity, I asked about the price of a limousine from the hotel to Pudong Airport, and it was RMB 800.

Definitely do NOT stay in this hotel if you have anything to do in Shanghai city. It's just too far away and transportation is very inconvenient. But, as an add-on to a business trip for a relaxing 1-2 days, the Le Meridien She Shan is perfect.

I've taken a lot of pictures of the suite, but I don't have any facility to post them publicly. If anyone wants to post them on my behalf, or if you want pictures, please PM me and I'll email to you.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Thanks for the detailed review. I'm interested to stay there for a weekend during a business trip in Oct. Hope I can get a suit like yours. That would be awesome! I see a rate of 988 RMB with 400RMB credit in F&B. If their food quality is decent, that's a great deal for the room.

You said the taxis ride is 35 minutes on a weekend. I wonder what it is like on weekday. As you know, traffic in SH is horrific on weekday. 35 minutes ride isn't too bad by local standard.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobo809
Thanks for the detailed review. I'm interested to stay there for a weekend during a business trip in Oct. Hope I can get a suit like yours. That would be awesome! I see a rate of 988 RMB with 400RMB credit in F&B. If their food quality is decent, that's a great deal for the room.

You said the taxis ride is 35 minutes on a weekend. I wonder what it is like on weekday. As you know, traffic in SH is horrific on weekday. 35 minutes ride isn't too bad by local standard.
If you are travelling alone, the RMB 400 credit for F&B would be about enough for a dinner at the restaurant (without alcoholic drinks), and also breakfast the next morning. For me, I had a soup, steak, and a drink for dinner and then room service full american breakfast, and only ended up paying RMB 25 above the RMB 400 credit. As for travelling time, I don't expect the weekdays would be anything better. I would expect the industrial zones you have to go through would be quite busy on the weekdays; plus, if there is still road construction going on, then the traffic would definitely move slowly. Of course, my driver was not too familiar with the directions, so he was probably driving slower than normal. You may want to get a hotel limousine to pick you up?

If you need pictures, PM me please. I think I still have them somewhere!
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:15 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai

I spent 2 nights at the Meridien She Shan for the weekend. Just wanted a getaway from the city.

The environment
Pro:very quiet, a lot of greens - trees, bomboo and etc and a lake, outdoor tennis court and etc. And an indoor swimming pool looks very cool since it just sit by the lake and is separated by glass wall. I didn't try it since I forgot to pack my swim suit for this trip.

Con: Transportation - you can take subway to She Shan station, but there is about 2km from the subway station to the hotel. Taxi is rarely seen at the subway station. You can take private car to the hotel - these are unlicensed cars operated by individuals. If you are not Chinese speaker, strongly recommend not to use it.
Restaurant - if you don't have a car, then you are pretty much limited to the attached 2 restaurants within the hotel, which is pricey and somewhat low service quality based on my experience.
Service - is so so. I checked in Friday afternoon - the front desk did not recognize my Plat status. After getting in my room, I remember nobody mentioned to me where the free breakfast will be. So I called services and was told no breakfast included in my rate. And then the call was transferred to front desk. Then I explained to the girl at the front desk: I booked in the SPG.com, which clearly indicates the room rate includes free breakfast up to 2 persons. Then I was told that they would call me back since they were busy. Anyway, it took over 30 minutes. And finally a manager (I assume he is) called my room and told me I will have free breakfast. In my mind, it should not be any hassle to chase something clearly stated in the rate on SPG.COM
Old Apr 12, 2009, 1:35 am

Stay Summary during 1st of May 2008

Stayed in this property around 1st of May 2008 ('May Holiday peak season' in mainland China)

Booked via SPG.com approx 1-2 months in advance. SPG GLD by the time.

Several weddings going on in the property. Also fully booked w. Chinese holiday makers (the green surrounding and near proximity to Shanghai city is luring a lot of local tourists from Shanghai out there - we took 60-90 min by car).

We came there via Avis rental (w driver) which I always prefer to hotel booking. If you give the driver/Avis the address in advance you won't have difficulties w the language. Don't expect the driver to know any English though.

A la carte in the main (huge) restaurant was very good. We had very good English service.

Buffet is on a much lower standard. We also tried the in restaurant BBQ buffet (ie not the one at the pool which only started soon after mid May I was told). I would not recommend that BBQ (grill actually) as they ran out of most of the favorit things, the others were poor quality and it was very noisy.

The room ('standard'? - did not get GLD upgrade due to full occupancy I guess) was huge. I can confirm the bad air quality in the public areas on floor 2-4. The room was very nice and 'modern french styling' (no offence but this is how they call it). For our 2 nights it was fully OK. However, the above mentioned poor finish quality of most hotels in mainland China was still the case here.

We went to the Cathedral and expected a huge crowd. Fortunately we were pleasantly surprised. Due to 'religious festival' the whole area was closed for 1 month (!). We - assumed Christian followers? - were granted free access and the whole place was near empty! Very very nice for a change in China.
A lot of stairs though. Be prepared. Nice place.

Beware of all the rip off bycicle/taxi guys. Especially if you are not speaking fluent Chinese/Mandarin. Even then it's a good idea to prepare all transportation well in advance to avoid hassle.

We also went (by rental car) to one of the nearby 'Old Towns'. The place was packed (!!!) by local tourists and it was NO fun.

According to a sign in the lobby you have to be prepared to wait 30 - 60 mins (!) during Rush-Hour check-in/out time. We avoided these times and had nil issues. English level was low but we managed (pretty used to it after 2 yrs in China).

Will probably not return to the property. Would only take a la cart food, avoid rush hour times. Like the green surrounding. Wise to arrange travel in advance. Don't have too high expectations...

Rgds
Ham
Old Apr 21, 2011, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Anything recent here? I'm speaking at a conference in Shanghai and we're going to spend a couple days before and after in the area. We'll probably stay at the LRM before, and we're trying to decide between She Shan and Hongkou for after.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Anything recent here? I'm speaking at a conference in Shanghai and we're going to spend a couple days before and after in the area. We'll probably stay at the LRM before, and we're trying to decide between She Shan and Hongkou for after.
Unfortunately, I cannot talk about the property itself, but I can talk about the area. I drove through here when I was visiting Shanghai and Hangzhou two weeks ago, and I must say it seems like an amazing getaway/retreat area. The sides of the road leading to and around the hotel were like parks, and everyone had a tent there and was enjoying the day with their families under the blooming trees and flowers. I saw the lake and beach from a distance, and the hotel entrance looked nice. Sorry I can't comment about the hotel, but for a first trip to China I must say I enjoyed the area...albeit a far-flung one.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: SPG Pt.
Let me try to answer this question. The hotel is in She Shan area which is a nice retreat area with a big amusement part, a lake, and one or two golf courses nearby. You can get there either by driving or by taking MRT line 11. As a P member, you will get upgraded to a huge lakeview suites with Cinq Mondes bath amenities. P member also get free internet access and buffet breakfast for two in the first floor cafe. No lounge or any happy hour is offered P member in this property. And, the room is pretty nice and well maintained with a private balcany. The hotel contain two swimming pools, and the outdoor one will be closed until the weather gets really hot, which is normally around June. The hotel is in a pretty isolated location, so it's very quiet and peaceful. If there is anything you want to know, I will be happy to answer.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thanks. I was concerned about the reviews for the past couple of years saying the property is moving downhill and not necessarily well mantained. It sounds like this is still a viable option.

I did find a report that it's quite a distance from the MRT and it can be difficult to find taxis. Are you familiar with the taxi situation?
Old Apr 22, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks. I was concerned about the reviews for the past couple of years saying the property is moving downhill and not necessarily well mantained. It sounds like this is still a viable option.

I did find a report that it's quite a distance from the MRT and it can be difficult to find taxis. Are you familiar with the taxi situation?
Licensed taxis were difficult to find. I found an unlicensed taxi, showed the guy where to go on a card in Mandarin, and pointed around a bit once we got closer. His rate was a little steep, and it was hard for me to argue out of it, but in the end I learned my lesson.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, SPG Plat
I stayed here March. Would not recommend staying here at all. Yes the rooms were very big and had a nice balcony. But the lack of maintenance was obvious as there were visible scratches on most furniture. Wooden floor was also worn out. Service was bad - doormen didn't open the door nor greeted the guests as they entered the building. Front desk agents efficient but not very welcoming. I consider breakfast quality average because plats get it for free, but would've been sorely disappointed had I paid for it (RMB178++). Only good thing - free drinks for plats at the bar and the drinks were surprisingly well made.

It does seem to be a popular conference/wedding location, as at least 2 weddings and 1 conference were going on during my brief one night stay.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by geoman244
Licensed taxis were difficult to find. I found an unlicensed taxi
I learned long ago never to take an unlicensed taxi. If there's not a licensed taxi or shuttle to get us from the metro station to the hotel, that would pretty much make it a non-starter. Hopefully we'll find a solution, because it would be nice to see an area outside the normal Puxi/Pudong areas.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG Pt.
I learned long ago never to take an unlicensed taxi. If there's not a licensed taxi or shuttle to get us from the metro station to the hotel, that would pretty much make it a non-starter. Hopefully we'll find a solution, because it would be nice to see an area outside the normal Puxi/Pudong areas.
Well, during daytime, you can find a licenced taxi outside of the MRT station without problem. But, it will be quite difficult to find a taxi around hotel area. If you do need a taxi, make sure to call FD 30 mins prior leaving so they can prepare a taxi for you. And, it is true that never to take an unlicensed taxi. Those taxis will charge you some nonsense prices.
As for the service thing, I dont really care that much. After all, this is China, you dont find good service that easily.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:52 am

You would have a tough time living/working in Beijing and consistently adhering to that policy these days; during rush hour in the CBD, it can often take over 30 minutes to find a legit taxi, and when you do, you'd better be prepared to move quickly and sharpen your elbows (think of the opening scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles). Naturally, I always try to get a real taxi, but don't think twice about grabbing a 黑车 if one passes by during a taxi drought, though I always reject the guys that quote insane prices (and are unwilling to negotiate); I'll gladly pay a y20 premium, but not much more than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.