Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Walt Disney World Dolphin - Orlando [Master Thread]

Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Anyways - location wise the Disney buses were fine. Didn't explore many of the amenities but the food onsite was decent (though expensive as expected). I don't mind the value, but the indifference of the security staff and front desk really blew my mind. Not sure we'd pick this hotel again.
Thanks for the review...sorry about your experience with the smoke detector. That really is ridiculous and unsafe.

About the on-site food, what restaurants did you try at the hotels, and how were they? I'm thinking about stopping at the property for a meal next month.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Quick review of the Dolphin from our stay over President's day weekend. We had two back-to-back reservations - one cash and points and one full points stay.

Checkin:
Reservations weren't linked, the second night was upgraded to a junior suite (SPG Gold) the first was not. The check-in staff told us that to avoid moving, taking a "downgrade" to a regular room was our best option. Sad to do so, but we did.

Paid for self-parking, key card kept giving a "room not found" error message. Eventually had to user the buzzer, and they said take a ticket and fix at front desk. Went to front desk, and same check-in staff said "oh yeah it happens all the time, just use the buzzer and valet will let you in and out".

Room was somewhat dated, sink drained really slow, and for a family of 4 only 1 bottle conditioner and shampoo. But we slept well even though we had to rig the blinds the first night. Second night however was a complete fiasco. We stayed 13 hours at Disney and got back around midnight. After kids got ready and went to bed, my wife took a hot shower. The fire alarm went off at 1 a.m waking everybody. We didn't know what to do or if it was the whole hotel, so we stood out in the hall in our pjs while I called the front desk.

Front desk sent security up an after about 10 minutes in the hallway he peaks in and says oh this is expected - smoke detector in wrong place and hot shower sets it off. You're not the first even tonight. Of course now the kids are all riled up after being woken up like that and we don't get much rest. The next day, I mentioned the issue at the front desk, and apparently it's "very common". I'm sorry but smoke detectors going off after a shower being "common enough" that it gets ignored will get somebody killed one day.

Anyways - location wise the Disney buses were fine. Didn't explore many of the amenities but the food onsite was decent (though expensive as expected). I don't mind the value, but the indifference of the security staff and front desk really blew my mind. Not sure we'd pick this hotel again.
Sorry to hear about the issues you had. However, I guess I can say that I'm glad that we decided to choose the Swan. We were there the same time as you as no issues at all. My only complaint was that I couldn't get a room higher than the 4th floor (SPG Gold). They were completely sold out that weekend so I guess all the SPG Platinums got higher floors for that balcony type. SO and I ended up not even using the balcony and should have saved our money for the upgrade.

Our friends had reservations similiar to yours. P&C one night, full points the next. Front desk had no problems linking them. The only problem though was that each night was considered a separate reservation and one of my friends was pissed that they took out a second $100/night hold on her debit card.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
after much debate I ended up bookign this over the swan b/c spg nights and flights doesn't apply to Cat 5 hotels. 30k points for 5 nights seems like good value.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
after much debate I ended up bookign this over the swan b/c spg nights and flights doesn't apply to Cat 5 hotels. 30k points for 5 nights seems like good value.
Up until March 1, it wouldn't have been an issue.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Up until March 1, it wouldn't have been an issue.
I know.. spg is such a cancerous program. It dies slowly by increasing # of points required at properties that are above average. Let's plan on exploiting the propgram while we can
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Lobby renovations are coming...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-dolphin/news/30nov2016-lobby-area-transformation-coming-to-the-walt-disney-world-dolphin.htm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT LIFE, SPG Platinum, LHW LC, Fairmont PC
Very disappointed by recent stay at the Dolphin in a "newly refurbished" room. The hotel needs a lot of renovations - it simply isn't up to par with other Starwood properties or the Disney on-site properties. Very loud buzzing noise in room all night - room overlooked entry rooftop. Next trip to Disney I will select something different.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:15 am

Dolphin

Originally Posted by NittanyFlyer
Very disappointed by recent stay at the Dolphin in a "newly refurbished" room. The hotel needs a lot of renovations - it simply isn't up to par with other Starwood properties or the Disney on-site properties. Very loud buzzing noise in room all night - room overlooked entry rooftop. Next trip to Disney I will select something different.
We just stayed at dolphin in November. We had 4 spg points rooms. Because we had asked for an adjoining room(kids) and they didn't have one at 4 when we checked in, they gave us keys to 3 rooms. They would text when ready. After 3 trips back to desk and asking for manager, we finally got our 4th room at 645, but not adjoining, across the hall. After many complaints we got free continental breakfast for 1 of the rooms. ( they also put the $25 per day charge on all 4 bills) we got that dropped at the end. We are platinum members. We thought breakfast and waived fees came with the status, but they said no. Anyway, the biggest complaint was the fourth room not ready until 645 pm, and only after many trips to the desk, and then they acted like they were doing us a favor by giving us breakfast vouchers for 2 for the stay. If not for all this nonsense we would have enjoyed it more
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Quilt03
We just stayed at dolphin in November. We had 4 spg points rooms. Because we had asked for an adjoining room(kids) and they didn't have one at 4 when we checked in, they gave us keys to 3 rooms. They would text when ready. After 3 trips back to desk and asking for manager, we finally got our 4th room at 645, but not adjoining, across the hall. After many complaints we got free continental breakfast for 1 of the rooms. ( they also put the $25 per day charge on all 4 bills) we got that dropped at the end. We are platinum members. We thought breakfast and waived fees came with the status, but they said no. Anyway, the biggest complaint was the fourth room not ready until 645 pm, and only after many trips to the desk, and then they acted like they were doing us a favor by giving us breakfast vouchers for 2 for the stay. If not for all this nonsense we would have enjoyed it more
As far as breakfast, as a Platinum member you should have received complimentary breakfast for up to two for the room the Platinum member was staying in.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:27 am

Our recent stay here was a disappointment.

We've been coming to the Dolphin for over 15 years. We've been platinum most of those years and became Lifetime Plat a few years ago during a stay at the Dolphin. To mark it, they had balloons and hand made chocolates in our upgraded suite as well as a nice note congratulating us. We were married there and always go back around our anniversary.

In the past, whether we were celebrating anything or not, they always sent something to our room (and often something to our other family members' rooms that I have reserved), with a nice handwritten note. This time, the woman at the desk handed me two buttons that say happy anniversary. I realize they don't have to do anything, but it is just different.

I responded to the email that we were arriving very early and would love an upgrade to a suite. My preferences ask for a quiet room without a connecting door. I got an email that said they couldn't promise a room before 3:00. I checked in early anyway, dropped off our bags and was told they would call me when my room was ready. I called at 2:45, and they said it is almost ready; they are putting the finishing touches on your room. Returned to the hotel and stood in the platinum/gold line for 20 minutes and got to the desk at 3:45 and was told my room was not ready; they are putting the finishing touches on it. I asked what kind of finishing touches those might be that take over an hour. The man at the desk said my guess was as good as his. I asked him what time check-in was and he said it's between 3 and 5. I had never heard of that as a check in time for a hotel before.

The hotel was not sold out, so I don't know why my non-upgraded room wasn't ready till 4:45. Our room ended up with a connecting door and a loud family (several kids) on the other side. No one in the process was apologetic about the wait.

While I was waiting till 4:45, I looked online for reviews and learned about the resort fee. When I picked up my key, I asked the woman about it. She had no idea. She said i guess that's true if that's what they told you. I told her nobody told me but I learned it on the internet and people weren't happy and were giving the hotel a black eye. She said, "Oh, I know."

There was a loud whining noise in our room. I called maintenance after the first night of very little sleep to come check it. I don't think they ever did because it was still there when we left. Someone used to call and check to see if the issue was fixed, no one did. I bought earplugs for the second night, but that really shouldn’t be necessary.

The surprise resort fee and additional parking fee adds too much. We haven't gotten late checkout in years; last time our room wasn't ready until after 6, but we had to get out by 11. We spent the first two nights this trip at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista for a fraction of the cost of the Dolphin. The room was very similar to what we had at the Dolphin. The bathroom was bigger at Lake BV. There were more in room amenities at the Sheraton. The Dolphin only had plain Sheraton shampoo and conditioner, soap and lotion.

The Dolphin used to have upgraded amenities, bathrobes, and turndown service. We had none of that this trip; that combined with the staff's indifference, the resort fee and the parking charge (used to have neither) makes it a choice of save a lot of cash and stay at the Sheraton or stay at a Disney hotel where they do care about service. The Dolphin's location is great, but the hotel isn't what it used to be, and the added expenses make that difference feel even worse. It feels like a hotel that doesn't care about you or improvement because it will be filled with another convention next week.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:10 am

I am not sure when darcyt last stayed at the Dolphin but I have been staying there consistently for a few nights several times a year for the past few years.

1. No bathrobes for a long time, nor turndown
2. Resort fee and parking fee have been there for YEARS! Those aren't new and they quit waiving them for elites a long time ago. If you have been getting it waived it was your luck, not the policy. (By the way the Swan charges them too)

My last stay was about a month ago in an upgraded room. Great stay, no issues. Front desk staff was quick to check me in, I did get a small upgrade to a "view", but didn't ask about late checkout as I had to drive over to Jacksonville the next morning so I was out by 10 am.

(As for my last stay at the Lake Buena Vista hotel.. let's just say it was the LAST for a reason. Won't be back. LOL! Marriott has much better options with much better service)

It's a convention hotel, but I have never had any real issues except for valet parking once when they had the entire parking lot overtaken for a convention. When I had to wait an hour for my car I complained and they waived the fee, but I was still mad. If you KNOW you aren't going to have any self parking get more valet attendants!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
2. Resort fee and parking fee have been there for YEARS! Those aren't new and they quit waiving them for elites a long time ago. If you have been getting it waived it was your luck, not the policy. (By the way the Swan charges them too
Yes, there have been parking and resort fees for a while. However, they were waived for Platinums.

Starting with reservations booked on or after December 5, 2016, those fees are no longer waived for Platinums.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by darcyt
The hotel was not sold out, so I don't know why my non-upgraded room wasn't ready till 4:45. Our room ended up with a connecting door and a loud family (several kids) on the other side. No one in the process was apologetic about the wait.
I've experienced this same scenario several times over the last few years at this hotel.

My view is the hotel front desk is one of the worst that I encounter at Starwood properties.

From my experiences, it seems like the "master plan" of who will get what room is determined the day before and they will NOT generally make changes.

Something simple like moving you from a not-ready room to a ready to check-in room of the same type is something that they won't do. They just won't do it.

The check-in process is really a mostly terrible experience now because of this.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
Yes, there have been parking and resort fees for a while. However, they were waived for Platinums.

Starting with reservations booked on or after December 5, 2016, those fees are no longer waived for Platinums.
So how can you say the resort fee was a "surprise"? Did you research before your visit? I often review a property, even if I am a returning guest.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
In my experience, resort fee was waived for Plats previously, but not the parking fee (which was sometimes moot as I didn't always have a car). Regardless, it's disappointing that they've stopped waiving the resort fee. Still...tough to beat Swan and Dolphin for location unless you stay at a Disney property.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.