Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Denver International Airport [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Denver International Airport [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Arrow Westin Denver International Airport [Master Thread]

I didn't see anyone post about this hotel yet, and we just stayed there, so I thought I would write a trip report.

Travel/Parking

We did not have air travel before/after this stay, so we did not utilize the airport entrance to the hotel.
There are multiple ways to get into this hotel- from the airport, from the parking, and from the transit
center, which will be open when the Rail line opens in 2016.

We parked at the hotel, which has valet parking for $33/day or you could just park in the structure or the
various lots as any air travler would do. The entrance into the hotel from the parking is a short walk,
but uncovered - and as such, there may be weather in the way.

Hotel

The hotel is shaped like a W, with the floors ranging from 1 at the ground level to 14 at the top 2 ends.
In the middle of the W, the highest floor goes to 11 . There are 2 separate sets of room elevators on the
East and West sides of the W.

The hotel lobby is on the 6th floor, and the hotel entrances are either on the 5th floor from the airport
or from parking and from the transit center is on the 1st floor.
The lobby contains a bar, sitting area, and the check-in desk.

Check-In

Checking in was relatively simple, however there are a limited number of front desk stations, and the
queue may become lengthy at times. For a Platinum amenity, we had the choice of points, continental
breakfast, or a 6-pack of local Colorado craft beer.

There is no Executive Club

Room

We were upgraded to an end corner room on the 12th floor, which would have had a mountain view had it not been
snowing for the entire stay. These rooms have diagonal windows, and there are controls to raise/lower the
automatic window shades that are fun to play with. There are even automatic window shades in the bathroom.

The view into the transit center and rail line was interesting to see, as we all have been waiting for the train to open.

The bathroom was nice, and the heavenly shower was welcomed. However, the large windows and the climate
control environment was not enough to keep out the outside cold from making the bathroom chilly and the floor
cold to the feet. The toiletry amenities were pretty standard.

Recreation Facilities

The Westin Workout and pool/hottub are located on the top/center 11th floor. The facility is
essentially a bridge between the West and East wings of the hotel, so either sets of elevators could
access this. The Pool is large and fairly warm, but has a maximum depth of about 4 feet. The hottub is
large- about 12 ft in diameter, and the jets are quite powerful. The pool and hottub side of this facility
faces south and you can see the transit center. The workout machines and equipment are brand new and
fairly standard. The workout side of the facility faces north, and you can look into the airport terminal.

Food/Beverage

The lobby has a bar - the Sky Lounge, but we did not partake. There was only 1 restaurant open - the Grill
& Vine. It was fairly good- the tuna tartare was very tasty; the steak salad and sea bass were quite good
as well.

Room Service

For breakfast, we ordered eggs benedict and eggs over easy with bacon and toast. The service was prompt on the
low end of their estimate of 30-40 minutes.

Check-Out

Checking out was simpler than checking in- no line. We just asked for an email receipt and were on our way.

Overall Thoughts

First impressions were fairly good. The location is very convenient for air travelers with early or late travel
to avoid a 6+ mile trip to get to any other hotel. I would stay there if I were concerned with transit time or the weather.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Nice review.

How was noise control? All-glass exterior walls can be a problem in noisy areas, IME.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for review of hotel.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I love a well thought out and written review. ^^^

Pictures??
Old Dec 2, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Just stayed there Sunday night. My overall impression was that it is a great option if you are flying out early, given the airport is in the middle of nowhere and this hotel is connected to it. The food at the restsurant was excellent.

Being a new hotel (1 week open or so), they weren't fully up to speed with everthing, but they politely took care of everything and I am confident they will get it all together.

I would certainly choose it again.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I plan to visit Denver in 2016. Glad to hear this hotel is a solid product and on its way to becoming a convenient and premium option once opening kinks are ironed out and the rail connection is finalized.

Thank you for the reviews!

khabah
Old Dec 3, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by sparsile
I didn't see anyone post about this hotel yet,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...19-2015-a.html

I have an overnight there in March, returning from a ski trip. It should be better then shuttle busing from the cluster of hotels miles away.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I stayed there Sunday Dec 20th. They are still working out some startup kinks (especially in the restaurant) but overall it was a very nice hotel. The location is a five minute walk from TSA security and as good as it gets if you have an early morning flight. The rooms were nice, the restaurant is decent with a good bar, and the fitness center/pool is better than average. The only downside is the price vs. the off-property hotels.

The way the hotel is integrated into the airport, parking and transportation is fantastic.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
How was noise control? All-glass exterior walls can be a problem in noisy areas...
I had a friend stay who shared this same concern. He said it was very quiet and exceeded his expectations.

Originally Posted by bldr1k
The only downside is the price vs. the off-property hotels.
Yes, though don't forget all off-property hotel's are a minimum 15m shuttle ride away
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I stayed there last night last minute after a flight was cancelled and was impressed. Had a corner room as well on floor 12 with pretty great views. Echo the parts about the bathroom - it was beyond freezing in there. Walked in at about 2am to get a room and was quoted at $289 - they are 100% taking advantage of the fact there are no other hotels close to DEN
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The best I can see for my stay in March is a $301 (with tax) corporate rate ($337 AAA, $355 standard) - 12K points is almost a bargain.

$116 at the Aloft, with a 16 minute shuttle ride, sure looks like a better cash alternative (though not 7K points)

Crazy.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Put my parents in a room when their flight home was delayed due to weather on the 26th. Paid for on points, 10k I believe. Hotel didn't have any toothpaste or advil (needed after a day of travel cancellations), and my parents' bags were still checked for their flight the following morning. When requesting the toothpaste / advil at ~8pm, they were told to 'go back to the terminal' (all the ground side shops were closed already...) because they were out due to the holidays.

I hope it's just growing pains, but for a prime airport hotel that is going to get TONS of traffic from delays / travel disruptions, they should be stocked on basic amenities like toothpaste, come hell or high water.

Wrote an email to the GM and got the 10k points re-deposited into my account.

They did say the room was nice, though.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
So, I'm camped out in the lobby right now, waiting out a flight delay.

The architect of this place, at least the lobby, must be a descendant of whoever designed Dulles.

I've heard three independent (non-FlyerTalker) reviews. To put it nicely, this place is sure going through growing pains.

Nonetheless, nice to have an on-terminal hotel. The OTA rates this weekend have been in the $229-269 range.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
My review:

I stayed here for $150 through name-your-own-price recently on Priceline. I was very happy and impressed with my stay here. I parked in the airport Economy Lot on the West side. While it is certainly quite a walk, it also saved me quite a bit of money versus the valet rates for parking. As others mentioned, you enter the hotel on the 1st floor and then take the elevators up to the lobby on the 6th floor.

The lobby was very modern and bright, though a tad too noisy for my tastes, though it was crowded when I checked in. My SPG Gold card allowed me to use the elite check-in line, which saved me quite a bit of time as the general line was quite lengthy. Check-in was very courteous and friendly. I received a room on the 11th floor facing the mountains.

The room was very quiet and modern. There were plenty of outlets, and of course, the amazing Westin Heavenly Bed. There was one complimentary bottle of Dasani water in the room and of course complimentary Starbucks Coffee pods. The bathroom featured the standard Westin amenities and standard dual shower-head. The temperature control was good as was the pressure in the shower.

I woke up an hour and a half before my flight departure, and thanks to TSA pre-check, was through with plenty of time prior to boarding. The proximity of this hotel (easy walk to the terminal), and the extra awesome sleep that it provided, is well worth the rate I paid.

I can't wait to stay here again!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I just tried this hotel out. Note that you have to walk outside for about 40 meters or so to access the hotel from the airport. There is a canopy to block the rain, but not the cold nor wind. There is also a new train station under the hotel, but not yet open for the public. Soon it will take you into the city once they get it all tested and ready. I saw a test train running today.

I got an upgrade to an Executive Suite overlooking the terminal. It's nice to be able to look out your window and see how long the TSA lines are. Indeed the main bathroom was a bit cold. But as long as you leave the bathroom door open, the heat equalizes the temperature. The guest bathroom near the entryway was fine.

Nice features include USB chargers in the room including on each side of the bed. ^ There is a large flat panel TV in the bedroom, but in the living room there is an even larger TV and a huge 320 watt sound bar to go with it. Thanks to the room soundproofing, you can crank this thing up rather loud.

The fitness area on the 11th floor is excellent. An upscale gym with great views over the tarmac and runways. And on the other side facing away is a decent pool and jacuzzi with plenty of sunlight shining in. There is one thing missing in the gym that I've seen in other high altitude hotels. They need a little reminder near the treadmills that we are over a mile above sea level and people should adjust their workouts accordingly. I was wondering why I was breathing very heavy after only a mile til it hit me that I was in the mile-high city. As this is an international airport hotel with people flying in from all over the world, a reminder couldn't hurt.

There is a Mr. Coffee machine in the suite. And there is a mini-bar menu, but the fridge is empty. I guess you have to call down to get it stocked. There were two bottles of complimentary Dasani. The bathtub is rather tiny and probably only good for a kid or small adult. But the shower cabin is nice and large.

I had dinner in the restaurant which was rather expensive and the quality was mixed. They could certainly do better. Service was very good though. The Platinum breakfast is pretty good, two eggs cooked to order, meat choice, toast, etc.

The Wifi is amazing. First of all, no gateway to log into. Just connect to the Wifi and enjoy 50Mbps up and 50Mbps down.

All in all it is a very good and shiny new airport hotel and I'm sure I'll try it again the next time I have to fly here.

Last edited by stimpy; Feb 22, 2016 at 4:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.