Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Florence, Italy - Westin or the Grand? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Florence, Italy - Westin or the Grand? 2005 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Thanks for the response! My conundrum has been resolved, because FFN for my third night magically opened up at the Grand. Based on the better chances of an excellent Plat upgrade and my very pleasant experience in prior (non-Plat) stays, I have opted for the Grand.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Does anyone have an opinion as to which of these hotels treats Golds better? I have FWN booked for September at the Grand, but I'd be happy to move it to the Excelsior if it would make an upgrade (and/or any other perks) more likely. Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Read my recent trip report at the Excelsior with photos of the room (208) -

As a Gold, I couldn't ask for a better stay or room.
Old May 29, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Hello -

Platinum that will be staying at either of these hotels with wife and 2 yr old daughter. It seems like the Grand may be a better option given their proclivity to upgrade platinums to a suite. Any other variable that I should be considering given the 2 year old?

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Hello -

Platinum that will be staying at either of these hotels with wife and 2 yr old daughter. It seems like the Grand may be a better option given their proclivity to upgrade platinums to a suite. Any other variable that I should be considering given the 2 year old?

Thanks!
I think you'll be fine at either hotel frankly. Neither are what I would consider kid-friendly, though neither is particuarly unfriendly towards children either. Having the river right outside might provide for a break when one parent is still getting ready and you want to keep your daughter occupied. I'd personally ditch the hotel eating and walk out to a small cafe or something to get a hot chocolate (it's hot there right now I know) and a pastry. Either hotel will be about the same in the end.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:42 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
This post is not related to those hotels, but some people may be interested in.

When I stayed at Excelsior a few years ago, I got a traffic ticket violating the restricted zone rule.
I did not recognize it until I got a mail from city office for the violation bill, almost after 1 year.
I am going to Grand again, but this time, I will be very careful driving in Florence.

This site has good information what to do/not to do:

http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic...ions_italy.htm

http://en.comune.fi.it/export/sites/.../Mappa_ZTL.pdf

I hope this helps some who are driving into the city.

Last edited by Tak; May 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.