Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hyatt offering status match to SPG Gold and Platinums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt offering status match to SPG Gold and Platinums

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Businesses the size of SPG and MR should be working a few generations down the pipe. What they announce today should be pretty firm (although glitches may still happen) and their "back room thinkers" should be working on things for future release.
What about businesses the size of Hilton? Or were they always planning to offer status matches now and just coincidentally started offering them a couple of days after Hyatt started doing so?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Why would they gift you Diamond status without proof of your other status? Seriously? That is the basis of a status match.

Good grief.
I don't know why they would.

But they replied to my request for status match and said they'd get back to me shortly, without asking for any evidence of any kind. That's why I wondered if they would actually do it.

Good grief back at you.

(btw, I'm at >100 nights this year)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Got in on this fantastic deal - matched SPG Platinum to Hyatt Diamond and received DSUs. Thanks Hyatt! I'm already trying to figure out how to requalify in 2016 and I haven't even had my first stay as a Diamond yet. So it's working!
I just wish it would work for me.

The DSU's sound great. In theory they may work better for me that the SNAs as they are each for up to 7 days. I like suite upgrades when my wife is travelling with me and for vacations. However reading the reports on the Hyatt Board on FT there seem to be endless complaints of FSUs not clearing.

I have always like the up-market Hyatt hotels that have stayed in previously, however research Hyatt over the last few days I was shocked to see how thin their coverage is in Europe and Asia.

Even in the US they do not have properties in many of the cities that I travel to for business. In other cases SPG has 5 to 10 properties in a city I need to go to (giving me choices and different price points) whereas Hyatt has one or two.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CIT85
Hyatt must have received tons of emails requesting status match. I received the following response at 11:39 AM EST 11/25.

"Thank you for your interest in Hyatt Gold Passport. We have received your recently submitted request for membership and review of your tier status, and will get back to you within the next 14 business days.

We appreciate your patience during this time and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause."

I don't have any travel plans where Hyatt is an option for the rest of the year, but plans for January could involve Hyatt, or not.
I'm impressed. I thought Hyatt Gold Passport staff are off for the holiday. Just received email at 8:52 PM 11/26 Thanksgiving night confirming that I have been upgraded to Hyatt Diamond status.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
I'm impressed. I thought Hyatt Gold Passport staff are off for the holiday. Just received email at 8:52 PM 11/26 Thanksgiving night confirming that I have been upgraded to Hyatt Diamond status.
India doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It took six days, but I finally got my Diamond match. Now just waiting for the suite awards to post...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It took six days, but I finally got my Diamond match. Now just waiting for the suite awards to post...
Awesome. Will help you with your stays in Cali.

Also they have a nice portfolio in Frisco as I'm sure you are excited about.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
What about businesses the size of Hilton? Or were they always planning to offer status matches now and just coincidentally started offering them a couple of days after Hyatt started doing so?
From my view, any company that is only planning through tomorrow will be short lived. Seat-of-their pants operations will always be reacting to outside influences and any growth will be accidental. That's not to say you shouldn't pay attention to what is going on in your industry and take advantage of current opportunities. But things like putting two operations together will not happen over night, like some suggest should happen.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer

The DSU's sound great. In theory they may work better for me that the SNAs as they are each for up to 7 days. I like suite upgrades when my wife is travelling with me and for vacations. However reading the reports on the Hyatt Board on FT there seem to be endless complaints of FSUs not clearing.

I have always like the up-market Hyatt hotels that have stayed in previously, however research Hyatt over the last few days I was shocked to see how thin their coverage is in Europe and Asia.

Even in the US they do not have properties in many of the cities that I travel to for business. In other cases SPG has 5 to 10 properties in a city I need to go to (giving me choices and different price points) whereas Hyatt has one or two.
I can't say I've had great luck with SPG suite upgrades, frankly. And I suppose we travel to different cities. SPG is pretty sparse where I want to go, and while these are both smaller chains, Hyatt happens to be there, and with higher-end properties. Maldives is a good example - I think I'm too old for the W, but I'll take the Park Hyatt there if I can.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

The big difference between DSUs and SNAs is that you can see the availability of the DSU when you're on the site, in most cases. If there is a standard room, then you'll see it on the standard rate and c/p tabs. If there is a suite, then you'll see it on the standard rate tab. They have a running list on the Hyatt forum about which suites the DSUs are good for, so you cross-reference all the above and call in. You typically know before you call whether or not you're going to have the DSU approved or not. It is very simple and takes all of 20 seconds to complete. If there's no availability of a standard room (c/p or paid rate), then you pick another date. If there's no availability of the DSU-oriented suite, then you pick another date. I only had issues once where a standard room was not available at the Andaz 5th for three specific nights on a weekend last December. The Splash Suite was available, but I wasn't going to pay $500+ for the standard room since this is a great property for beneficial c/p rates. We moved our plans to a different weekend.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by jibi
The big difference between DSUs and SNAs is that you can see the availability of the DSU when you're on the site, in most cases. If there is a standard room, then you'll see it on the standard rate and c/p tabs. If there is a suite, then you'll see it on the standard rate tab. They have a running list on the Hyatt forum about which suites the DSUs are good for, so you cross-reference all the above and call in. You typically know before you call whether or not you're going to have the DSU approved or not. It is very simple and takes all of 20 seconds to complete. If there's no availability of a standard room (c/p or paid rate), then you pick another date. If there's no availability of the DSU-oriented suite, then you pick another date. I only had issues once where a standard room was not available at the Andaz 5th for three specific nights on a weekend last December. The Splash Suite was available, but I wasn't going to pay $500+ for the standard room since this is a great property for beneficial c/p rates. We moved our plans to a different weekend.
Thanks for the explanation, Very useful. Seems like these definitely work better than SNAs.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I can't say I've had great luck with SPG suite upgrades, frankly. And I suppose we travel to different cities. SPG is pretty sparse where I want to go, and while these are both smaller chains, Hyatt happens to be there, and with higher-end properties. Maldives is a good example - I think I'm too old for the W, but I'll take the Park Hyatt there if I can.
I agree with you on the W. I have stayed three times at W's (in Chicago, Seattle and New York) and each time my wife complained about the dark lobby, the excess of chrome, the driving beat disco music in the lobby, and the excess of twenty some-things carousing loudly when you enter the property at night.

I probably do have a very different pattern of stays. We often travel in the off-season, and our vacations are typically tagged onto my meetings and conferences, so typically not to resorts.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:48 pm

I agree with you on the W. I have stayed three times at W's (in Chicago, Seattle and New York) and each time my wife complained about the dark lobby, the excess of chrome, the driving beat disco music in the lobby, and the excess of twenty some-things carousing loudly when you enter the property at night.

I probably do have a very different pattern of stays. We often travel in the off-season, and our vacations are typically tagged onto my meetings and conferences, so typically not to resorts.
If ANdAZ is the answer to W (feels like it is), then I'm easily in the ANdAZ crowd. Loud house music and dark rooms are definitely not for me.

OK - Andaz from now on.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Received an email a couple of hours ago telling me that I am upgraded to Diamond as well. However, the new status is not reflected in my account. Is this normal?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by skrosvik
Received an email a couple of hours ago telling me that I am upgraded to Diamond as well. However, the new status is not reflected in my account. Is this normal?

I saw my upgrade on my account first. No DSUs. Then about 8 hours later I received the email. And DSUs.

Took about 8 days to process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.