Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Complaint

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
* Cheap mutha$&#%!*

Hey Doc, now you owe Penguin 10k points.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Hey Doc, now you owe Penguin 10k points.
Agreed. Transfer by EOD please
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Agreed. Transfer by EOD please
What's your Motel6 account number, Pengy?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I never tip. (and i'm Canadian)
I always tip. (also Canadian) 15% for absolute basic, 18% standard, 20%+ for above and beyond service. Bellhop or valet is usually a flat $5 or $10.

In the OP's case I'm thinking letting the bellhop know you've got no cash on you and would get him later (if you intended to do so) would be a fair statement.

Regardless of tip or no tip, the bellhop responded very immaturely and I would expect his manager to be speaking with him. For your compensation of 10k SP's I'd say that's a fair deal too.

Last edited by Canuckmma; Nov 19, 2015 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I can't recall, ever, pulling up to a hotel and having them just "take" the bags without the question "Do you need help with your bags?". You had to know that by them taking the bags this was bell service.

If you had no cash, did you have a check on you? Most hotels you're staying at will cash a check right at the front desk, while you are checking in. Voila - cash for the service you agreed to.
A check? What are those? Who carries those anymore?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro
As an update, A director from the hotel reached out to me on Monday and the employee admitted that he said it and has apparently been disciplined for it. Im not sure if it counted for anything but I did make it unequivocally clear to the director that I did not want the employee to lose his job but at the same time he should disciplined for what he said.

In addition to the 10,000 points they have also agreed to refund the cost of my stay and upgrade should I choose to come back to the hotel so I am happy with the resolution.

I must say, I find it absolutely preposterous that anyone could ever condone any person using such foul language towards a guest. Without guests at a hotel there would be no hotel. Not only that, but whilst it is customary to tip it is not mandatory.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:19 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks for the follow-up, always good to find out what happened. Personal opinion, but I like the track you took with asking for them to be disciplined but not fired. It's inexcusable behaviour, but perhaps there was something going on in his life as well.

I think the hotel handled it quite well, with the personal update and the additional refund of the stay.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
10,000 points was a win, but 10,000 points and refund on your accommodation is a slam dunk.

Now, I want a few hotel employees to swear at me on all my future stays so I can get free accommodation Swearing at me, around me, is normal as I have worked with people with mental illness' and sometimes what they say, just isn't their fault. It's their faulty brain.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
So by my rough calculations, you received a benefit of nearly $100-300 dollars (assuming 12,000 will get you a free night at a nice hotel) in exchange for having to endure two demeaning comments... I have nice broad shoulders, I think I might have to check in and out of this hotel multiple times.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:38 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Let's us try Sheraton Hong Kong as an example
Sheraton is an international chain. I was talking about locally owned/founded businesses

Originally Posted by PayItForward
it is a poor system especially when it almost felt forced.

Everyone provides a form of service in their jobs. It is the employer that should change but if there are enough folks tipping and supplementing their employee's take home income because they think they earn minimum wages, then why would the boss (ever) be motivated to pay better wages?

In fact, I am sure there are other jobs commanding minimum (or close) income but are never tipped. Why are there no sympathy there?

The excuse that tip is necessary because they are earning minimum wages is just an excuse.
Exactly! Are these people going to turn around and share their tip with the construction workers that built the hotel or the truck drivers that brought the construction material or the custodians that clean the business or the city health and safety inspectors that approved the business?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EricH
If the two of you choose to go through life with zero cash you have to expect to have problems. Yes, the bellman was out of line, but you should discount his misbehavior a bit to account for your choices.
I disagree 100%.

If this a-hole had the nerve to cuss at me I would have loudly called him out on it right in the lobby. Since he, as an agent for the hotel management had clearly demonstrated that swearing was perfectly acceptable in their hotel, I would have responded in kind asking him what the f---- he just said to me and would not have backed down until a manager arrived on scene.

This moron needs to be fired immediately IMHO.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
So by my rough calculations, you received a benefit of nearly $100-300 dollars (assuming 12,000 will get you a free night at a nice hotel) in exchange for having to endure two demeaning comments... I have nice broad shoulders, I think I might have to check in and out of this hotel multiple times.

I would never book a room with 10K points if the cost were less than $250. And that's before taxes. So to me, that' worth close to $300. Extremely generous, IMO.

Starwood and 95%of their local properties believe in customer satisfactino adn don't mess around. That's why they have totally earned my loyalty.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by porciuscato
I would never book a room with 10K points if the cost were less than $250. And that's before taxes. So to me, that' worth close to $300. Extremely generous, IMO.

Starwood and 95%of their local properties believe in customer satisfactino adn don't mess around. That's why they have totally earned my loyalty.
Exactly... in addition, the follow up which I did not see before posting said he was also refunded the money for the night stay he did have... so he likely got close to $500 with benefit!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cedejah
As an update, A director from the hotel reached out to me on Monday ..........

In addition to the 10,000 points they have also agreed to refund the cost of my stay and upgrade should I choose to come back to the hotel so I am happy with the resolution.

Lucky.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by EricH
If the two of you choose to go through life with zero cash you have to expect to have problems. Yes, the bellman was out of line, but you should discount his misbehavior a bit to account for your choices.
Really

you're answer is as ridiculous as the bellman's

there are ZERO reasons that would mitigate a bellman saying what he did

it's a cashless society these days get used to it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.