http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/about/about-design.html

FAQ:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/design/support/faq/index.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Launch of Design Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Just noticed a new addition to the SPG Design Collections list, Nira Alpina, Silvaplana ( St Moritz), Switzerland. Not sure I'd seen that before or if has already been mentioned elsewhere.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Can't wait to see how Marriott handles the Design Hotel portfolio.

I'd assume they will be their own soft brand with continued limited partner benefits, akin to what Marriott already has with the Bulgari brand hotels.

Of course, if Marriott ends suite upgrades and SNAs and other SPG Plat amenities, then it also is possible that the Design Hotel brand will be just another Marriott brand with comparably weak Marriott elite benefits like all its other brands.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
More Design Hotels coming online and announced

Some new additions including Les Bains in Paris and Wanderlust in Singapore.

The first SPG partner hotels include the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York City, Ten Bompas in Johannesburg, South Africa, the C-Hotel in Lake Como, Italy, Nira Montana in La Thuile, Italy, Nira Alpina in St. Moritz, Switzerland, and Kruisherenhotel Maastricht in the Netherlands. In addition, the ION Luxury Adventure Hotel in Iceland, the Tribe Hotel in Kenya as well as Grupo Habita’s hotels in Mexico will join prior to year end. In early 2016, member hotels of Design Hotels™ will join from major destinations, including London (Town Hall Hotel), Istanbul (Gezi Istanbul), Shanghai (The Waterhouse at South Bund), Athens (New Hotel), Singapore (Wanderlust), France (Les Bains), and South Korea (nest hotel).

Full Press Release
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:52 am

Old Clare Hotel in Sydney showed up as "Coming Soon" in the SPG Design Hotels puzzle game today - great to hear.

The Waterhouse at South Bund is a very cool property - great to see them onboard.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I checked out of a Design property this morning and found the stay and points posted this afternoon. That has to be some kind of record...so at least one data point on good system integration.

Great stay, btw. GPH is a fantastic addition to the portfolio. ^
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I checked out of a Design property this morning and found the stay and points posted this afternoon. That has to be some kind of record...so at least one data point on good system integration.

Great stay, btw. GPH is a fantastic addition to the portfolio. ^
A recent review here of the Gramercy Park Hotel--it does look good, indeed. I've been to the bar many times and can't wait to stay here in the future.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/12/gram...-hotel-review/
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just booked a stay at the Ten Bompas in JBurg for early January. Excited to have more options. Not so excited to be heading to Marriott BTW.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Second, Plats will get chance for category upgrades instead of the full suite upgrades, which isn't much different than any other chain.

Design Hotels are just like Luxury Collection or Tribute properties...except that you won't get suite upgrades and can't use SNAs. There is nothing worse. This is a net win for SPG.
NO, Plats aren't eligible for room upgrades if available at check in at Design hotels. That SPG benefit isn't on the list. We only get water and free internet, plus the welcome amenity of 500 points. It's much worse that simply no use of SNAs or no upgrades to suites. [Of course, this isn't to say that a hotel that's overbooked in basic rooms won't sometimes upgrade someone to a higher room category, but there's absolutely no Starwood requirement that Design hotels give priority for such "OPUPs" to SPG elites; they're free to give any upgrades that are done to random kettles.]

In addition, we don't get the guaranteed 4 pm checkout benefit, the option to take continental breakfast instead of the welcome amenity points, guaranteed bedding type, etc. We are entitled to NONE of the usual SPG benefits that aren't explicitly on the list.

Plats don't get lounge access at StR or W hotels, either, or at Luxury Collection or Tribute Portfolio hotels--because they don't have lounges. Not sure why this is suddenly an issue for another group of SPG hotels that will not have lounges.

This ADDITION of Design Hotels into SPG isn't a reduction in elite benefits; it is an addition of additional properties whereby you can now use and get most but not all SPG benefits. If these Design Hotels were not incorporated into SPG at all, you wouldn't even have the opportunity to earn SPG nights/stays and SPG points, let alone eventually get the opportunity for SPG award redemptions (coming in 2016).

Regular SPG and SPG Gold members will see about the same experience at any SPG Design Hotel as they will at any other SPG hotel.
Some LCs do have lounges and IME grant Plats free lounge access. The Nines is Portland is an example. Similarly, some LMs/LRMs have lounges, such as LRM Shanghai, and do give Plats free lounge access.

I disagree that we'll have "about the same experience" because it's not accurate to say that we'll get "most ... SPG benefits."

Originally Posted by heakja
Since many Design Hotels are small, I can understand that platinum (suite) upgrades and late check-out cannot be offered. But why not include breakfast? That's just a cost issue.

I would probably pick a regular SPG hotel over a Design hotel in places (eg. major cities) where that is possible, as the platinum benefits for me usually are more important than staying in a unique hotel. Especially in Europe, where the platinum benefits can be great.

One can only hope that some Design Hotels eventually will include more platinum benefits, as they see that this will attract more elite (and returning) customers.
Currently small Starwoods manage to give all of the required SPG benefits. Let's not suggest that size should be an acceptable excuse to not give upgrades and not honor the guaranteed late checkout benefit.

I'm not optimistic that many hotels will voluntarily offer elite benefits. Even if they do this, it could be inconsistent, withdrawn without notice, or withheld when the hotel is full or the guest is paying a good rate.

Originally Posted by makin'miles
I totally agree. Much as Starwood allows resort properties to be exempt from the 4pm check-out, I'd very much understand if they allowed any property with, say, 50 rooms or less to also be exempt from this requirement - it would be understandable. Breakfast should be an option for Plats.
Sorry, but I disagree. Starwoods with fewer than 50 rooms currently manage to honor the 4 pm late checkout guarantee. There should be no exemption, partly because a hotel's room count isn't obvious when booking.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Quote:

Originally Posted by christianj

So basically as a Platinum I loose out on a free breakfast and the upgrade. Would have preferred to keep these benefits but probably can live with it considering the new options this will add to the portfolio in areas where we have no hotels now. In cities with numerous options I would likely go with another SPG option where I get those benefits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcpteck

Bummer, no upgrades and no breakfast.

It appears Plats also lose out on lounge access and late checkout. So you get points, night/stay credit, wifi, water. Sounds like the Best Western program.

Exempting properties from certain aspects of the loyalty program opens a Pandora's box. My concern is that a property that is considering to join SPG will opt for Design vs another flag that offers all SPG benefits and/or program exemptions spread to other brands such as Tribute.

Quote:

Note: Design Hotels™ may not offer the same SPG benefits or brand service standards as other Starwood hotels.

Brand service standards has always been a weak point of the SPG program. Does this disclaimer mean that it will be worse under the Design brand?
Don't worry, once Marriott is in the scene they'll get straightened out.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:09 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
The following hotels joined Starwood/SPG last night and are now bookable on Starwood's sites, apps and channels:

- Mainport Rotterdam
- Tribe Hotel Nairobi
- Hotel Americano New York

We're now up to ten bookable Design Hotels. We'll see the rest of Habita's Mexican portfolio [twelve more hotels] and - the one that has me trembling in the knees - Ion Luxury Adventure Hotel in Iceland online before the year is out.

Glad to see this alliance and Starwood expanding despite the buyout. Hopefully a sign of good things to come.

khabah
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:36 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
It's nice but hopefully a lot more will come online. We have seen nothing yet from France, Portugal, Germany, Spain or Scandinavia yet. There are many other properties in Switzerland, Italy that would be nice to see added.

Interesting to see that apart for the property Morocco, all of Design's African properties are part of SPG (there are only 3 anyways).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended

Waiting anxiously for SPG redemptions at Design Hotels!

I'm more interested in seeing SPG add the redemption ability at the new Design Hotels. With the Marriott merger coming, I'd love to burn some SPG points with some of these more interesting Design options.

Redemption options are supposed to be added sometime in early 2016...so crossing my fingers.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:00 am

Quick question! The FAQ tells me that only stays "booked through Starwood Partner Channels (Starwood Websites, SPG Apps, and Starwood Customer Contact Centers) are eligible for earning Starpoints", and explicitly that stays booked directly with the property are not eligible. Would stays booked via SPG channels but subsequently modified directly with the property therefore be eligible?

Case in point: I booked a two-night stay through the SPG channel and needed to lengthen it, which I did by calling the property directly. The SPG site shows my original reservation, while I presume the property's systems indicate the full length of stay.

Will this stay earn points and credit? More than happy to PM confirmation number if needed.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CLEguy
The SPG site shows my original reservation, while I presume the property's systems indicate the full length of stay.

Will this stay earn points and credit? More than happy to PM confirmation number if needed.
If your SPG.com account does not show the true length of your reservation, then I would assume it will not properly credit you. You immediately should contact SPG (or the hotel once more time has passed, perhaps) to correct that in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:11 am

If your SPG.com account does not show the true length of your reservation, then I would assume it will not properly credit you. You immediately should contact SPG (or the hotel once more time has passed, perhaps) to correct that in advance.
That's my thought as well. I figured this would be somewhat of an edge case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.