Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, the Netherlands, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...language=en_US

This hotel has Limited Participation in the Starwood Preferred Guest® Program.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like great news but:

SPG members staying at participating hotels will receive the following benefits:

2 Starpoints per eligible US dollar spent (3 for Gold Preferred and Platinum Preferred members)
Night and stay credit toward elite status
On-property benefits of internet access and bottled water in room
Gold Preferred and Platinum Preferred members will automatically receive a Starpoints bonus as their Welcome Gift.

Other on-property benefits such as upgrades, late checkout, Your24 or Suite Night Awards will not be available at participating hotels. Free Night redemption is expected to be available March 2016.

To learn more about the program details, view FAQs at spg.com/designhotelsfaq.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like it is the same for all Design Hotels which participate in SPG. I guess it is better than nothing.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Kruisherenhotel is very design style, the exterior is a classic monastery though.
It's always impossible to book this hotel during the annual TEFAF art fair held at MECC Maastricht as tout art-connaisseurs settles here.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
LT Plat visting

Will visit in 2 weeks a report to the group the treatment of platinum. See if they go beyond the T&C

Last edited by JohnSIN; Nov 18, 2015 at 12:57 am Reason: fat fingers
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Excellent Platinum Recognition

So the addition of this property to the SPG family was the trigger to a little week end in Maastricht to sample the Design hotels. What was particularly surprising was how well we were treated despite the very recent participation of the hotel to the program. Granted the property is very small and therefore it is easier to train the FO staff but still.

Apparently the owner has been a big fan of the SPG/Starwood collaboration and wanted to be part of the first batch of properties using the distribution network offered by Starwood. He obviously understand what this can do for his hotel and is definitely going beyond the expected benefits.

On this occasion, we were upgraded to a suite (not a standard benefit for PLT in Design Hotels). In the suite, a small bottle of Ruinard Champagne was waiting for us in an ice bucket and with 2 champagne glasses. We drunk our champagne in the restaurant with our meal.

The hotel is very design and beautiful, a mix of the historical cloister and very modern design. The service was excellent across all functions.
The suite was very practical and had 7 power outlets available (one of my frustration when on the road and not enough of these are available).

Being in the historical center is an added bonus and I would make this hotel my default when travelling to Maastricht.

I am now very excited about how other owners are going to take to the Starwood collaboration and trying very different hotels to the the standard Starwood portfolio.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Kruisherenhotel Maastricht - The Netherlands, Design Hotel

Kruisherenhotel has been around since 2005, but since last years Design Hotels addition to SPG, now also bookable via SPG and/or Points. Stayed here in October 2016 on a BRG rate for 1 night. As SPG Platinum you do not get breakfast included, but they do upgrade you when available (not suites though).

The hotel used to be a monastery and a church from the 15th century. It was transformed into a hotel in 2005 with 60 rooms. Because it was a monumental building, everything had to be build from the ground up. They could not make adjustments to the facade or walls of the building.

I have to say that this was the first hotel, where I was in a 'Ooo' and 'Aaahh' and 'Wauw' for a long time (even during check-in still).

The offer Valet service and recommended it. It's almost just as expense as parking somewhere yourself and within the city limits of Maastricht, you have to park it in a garage.

You enter through the church side, were you directly in the middle of the old ship. The old feeling and atmosphere if the building hits you directly and everywhere you look is history. In the middle of the 'ship' the new modern feel is build, but never feels out of place. On the ground floor is the check-in, a bar, a conference room and office. On top of that is the restaurant. It's actually a vide in the middle of the old church, with spectacular views above!

Check-in was swiftly, upgraded to a Prestige room (although they didn't mention this, I wonder why you would upgrade but not tell the guest. You only score points with it ). Brought to our room (111) by a porter via the elevator, which is entirely from glass (also in the ship still).

Here comes to only real comment about the hotel. I kind of missed to comfy feel in the hotel room itself. It's spotless, modern, but missed a certain 'gezelligheid' from a Dutch standpoint. But like I said, spotless room and comfortable bed for sure though!

We went for dinner at a restaurant out of the hotel, but breakfast is also served on the vide. So we did get to experience the magnificent views in the end. Breakfast is €24,50 and not included for Platinum members. Didn't notice when we were there and they don't tell you it costs this much. In the end we got it for free, but be aware when you go. Breakfast was plenty (also salmon, typical province pie ^^, fruits/grenola's/etc, but not overwhelming, especially for €24,50 a person.

In the end we had a almost perfect stay and defiantly recommend this hotel. The personal touch of the staff is amazing. The hotel itself a treat for the eyes (and the soul ).

Last edited by kevinflyaway; Oct 29, 2016 at 4:45 am
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:22 am
Community Director Emerita

What a stunning look at the hotel. Thank you, kevinflyaway. Masstricht is suddenly on my list of places to return now that I've seen your pictures.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:17 am

Anyone stay here more recently and have any experiences to share?

I'm particularly curious about how the location fares with regard to Maastricht city centre. There are some good (non-chain) options here, so trying to sort out my plans.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
What's the cheapest price one has seen for this hotel? I was looking at a stay this week but i find it quite ridicilous priced in Covid-times for the small rooms they have and in low-low-extreme-low season in Maastricht.
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.