Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Best available rate at the Westin DUB recently was 239 EUR per night. Rack rate was 359 EUR so using spg50 brought that down to 179 EUR. Quite a significant savings all things considered.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:00 pm

My best use has been at the Excelsior in Napoli where we saved about E40.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
My best usage was probably at Sheraton Sand Key where I saved $70 per night.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Great use for an SPG50

I am currently at the St. Regis San Francisco, staying in a beautiful room and paying only $279/night using an SPG50. Current "Best Available Rate" for this room is $399, so it's a savings of $120/night. The $279 rate makes the St. Regis less expensive than the Palace, W, and St. Francis, and I'd rank it at the top among those four. It's actually quite a deal...SPG50's are often fairly worthless in the US, but in this case they're the best option I've been able to find.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:14 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I am currently at the St. Regis San Francisco, staying in a beautiful room and paying only $279/night using an SPG50. Current "Best Available Rate" for this room is $399, so it's a savings of $120/night. The $279 rate makes the St. Regis less expensive than the Palace, W, and St. Francis, and I'd rank it at the top among those four. It's actually quite a deal...SPG50's are often fairly worthless in the US, but in this case they're the best option I've been able to find.

I used an SPG50 at the Palace once as well, was a good discount. I will never stay at the Palace again though - good advice about the St. Regis , that place rocks...

-Vincent
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
I would be curious if anyone has also done comparisons with rack rate vs. SPG.com rates vs. corporate discounted rates (e.g. American Express travel, etc.)

Just a thought, if people have it available.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by chichow
I would be curious if anyone has also done comparisons with rack rate vs. SPG.com rates vs. corporate discounted rates (e.g. American Express travel, etc.)

Just a thought, if people have it available.
I do it everytime I book!

It's a pain, but I always search for AAA, promo, my SET (corp) and the regular "best available" on spg.com. I've found no specific pattern or single best option. I all depends on location, capacity, time of year, etc.

Too bad SPG50's can't be booked online, the few times I've called to check on those rates one of the other options on spg.com is better.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:38 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
It seems as if I am the proverbial "lone voice in the desert" on this one, but I have frequently found good use for my spgs.

I just quickly looked through my upcoming reservations for an example and found this one at the W Seattle:
1 KING
CORNER ROOM, NON-SMOKING ROOM, W SIGNATURE BED, LARGE WORK AREA, FLOOR TO CEILING WINDOWS, CORNER RM. W/FLR TO CEILING WINDOWS, 450SQ FT OF MODERN LUXU RY,HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS, VARIOUS FLOORS Rate Plan: SPG 50% OFF AWARD
239.50 in US DOLLARS per night

I don't think that's bad.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
St. Regis in SF is currently $279 with an SPG50 for a Superior room; cheapest alternative is $399, and then only on certain days.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:19 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
St. Regis in SF is currently $279 with an SPG50 for a Superior room; cheapest alternative is $399, and then only on certain days.

Thanks Mike-- that's one of our next stops. ^
Old Jun 7, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by damon88
It seems as if I am the proverbial "lone voice in the desert" on this one, but I have frequently found good use for my spgs.

I just quickly looked through my upcoming reservations for an example and found this one at the W Seattle:
1 KING
CORNER ROOM, NON-SMOKING ROOM, W SIGNATURE BED, LARGE WORK AREA, FLOOR TO CEILING WINDOWS, CORNER RM. W/FLR TO CEILING WINDOWS, 450SQ FT OF MODERN LUXU RY,HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS, VARIOUS FLOORS Rate Plan: SPG 50% OFF AWARD
239.50 in US DOLLARS per night

I don't think that's bad.

W Seattle has a special right now of $179 per night for bookings made by June 16th.

I used that one, probably the best use of an SPG 50 to date in my opinion. The other best use was for St. Regis NYC at $390 per night on a normally minimum $600 per night stay.....
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:20 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by EquityMind
W Seattle has a special right now of $179 per night for bookings made by June 16th.

The 179 is not the 450 sq corner room with views. It also was for limited dates (not Nov when I'm going) I'm one of those plats who often wimps out and books a better room category rather than leave my fate to the upgrade gods.

I have another spg50 at Westin Copley in Boston next Sept. Junior suite for $264. My cousin just looked online and internet rates (pay in full-no cancellation) were $379 for standard room or best avail $444 for that time period.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:01 pm
dc3

Anyone able to use SPG50 award at Lemeridien?

Has anyone been able to use an SPG50 award at the Starwood LeMeridien properties?
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

removed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 9, 2008 at 9:36 pm
Old Aug 7, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Originally Posted by dc3
Has anyone been able to use an SPG50 award at the Starwood LeMeridien properties?
I am using it next month in Los Angeles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.