Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Seriously? Was this booked on the phone with Starwood? This would certainly run contrary to my understanding of what was possible at this property. (I had understood that the Sheraton Tahiti and Sheraton Moorea used to offer the SPG50 rate plan, that the Bora Bora Nui did not, and that none of them do any longer as they've moved into line with the Hawaii division. At least that's what I recall from Starwood Lurker's explanation in the past.)
My little brother actually also was able to use the SPG50 at Bora Bora. He was also on his honeymoon at the same time you were there on yours and he thinks you were in the OWB next to his (I gave him a link of your Trip Report to read............were you guys outon your balcony/patio/lanai/whatever it's called in Bora Bora in your bathrobes a lot, if so he thinks you were his neighbor, he and his wife are ~25 years old I don't know if you saw them). He was there 8 nights (5/30-6/7). The first three nights they booked a Beach Bungalow (~$300 per night) and then the last 5 nights they booked an Overwater Bungalow (~$600 per night). They were upgraded when they arrived to an OWB for the full 8 nights. I heard on FT (maybe from you) that you couldn't use SPG50s at BBN, but it seemed to work fine for them. I assume they booked via phone thru Starwood/SPG. BTW, my brother's wife is SPG Gold.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:39 pm

Seriously?
Yeah, I hate to give you details knowing that you just went (somehow ended up on a trip report of yours today, too, ironically), so I'd understand if you just skipped this post, but here goes:

Was this booked on the phone with Starwood?
I had some SPG50 certs from a co-worker that I'd been holding onto for some time (no exp date). For our honeymoon my wife and I decided to hit FP. Planning for the honeymoon was around this time last year for a date in late April. I saw that the SPG50's excluded Hawaii only (according to the T&C), so I called the number on the back of the cert and got sent to a Luxury Collection reservations line. The guy there was VERY helpful - actually suggesting that I reserve all possible days that I might go (still jumbling flights/etc), so I ended up holding 14 days at the SPG50 rate. Over the next week I finally got flights (quite a premium from CO/AF for Bus Class on a 3-class 747 - 150k/ea from LAX-PPT - you can't even get me from AUS for 300k miles???) and solidified my dates. I ended up compressing my reservation at BBN to 4 days, and added the 3 days at Sheraton Moorea w/ the SPG50 - also talking to a different rep over the phone (I think this was a Gold rep). Over the course of the next 6 months, I could see the reservations on spg.com, with the rate and the notice reflecting that I'm using a SPG50 award. Called right before my trip to book the Sheraton Tahiti (wedding plans had swamped me) via the Gold number again and asked about using a SPG50 there, too, but he told me that I could get a "SPG rate" there for cheaper - I didn't argue and booked it.

Regardless, at least three different reps acknowledged that I could use it (without any "I need to speak w/ my supervisor" runaround at all). I could see it being used over the phone and on spg.com. I made the reservations probably Sept/Oct 2004 and traveled Apr/May 2005. When I arrived at the BBN, the rep took my SPG50 cert on the boat ride over as she checked me in, so I know it was above board there as well.

At least that's what I recall from Starwood Lurker's explanation in the past.)
Hey, this is by no means me saying that Starwood Lurker's explanation is wrong - I may have been a beneficiary of dumb luck, but all in all, I'd rather be lucky than good.

What does it hurt to try next time you go? You should be able to monitor the fact that you have a room the entire time.

Wes
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:52 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
FWIW, I've been trying since July 18th to get someone to confirm whether or not SPG50 can be booked at either of these hotels. I was able to find the active rate plan, but had no anecdotal or empirical evidence I could offer...until now I guess.

Still, before I sign off on it officially, I'd sure like to hear from someone in an official capacity.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Aug 15, 2005 at 5:55 pm
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:11 pm

Ask, and ye shall receive.

The SPG50 rate plan is subject to availability at these two properties - Bora Bora Nui and the Sheraton Moorea - at least until the end of 2005. No guarantees beyond that, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Ouch, @ $600/night for an OWB via an SPG50 the value on my 5th night free award just dropped to 1.7c/point.

Still, I'm happy to have saved the three grand.

Btw, gregorygrady, we weren't on our balcony in bathrobes much I doubt that we're the folks your brother is thinking of (unless he was in OWB 104 or 106...).
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:37 pm
SST

I used one last week at the Four Points Chelsea. It was booked in September, when I discovered all the "good" starwood properties were going for $460+ a night, and I was able to get this hotel for a couple weekend nights at $155 after the 50% discount. It was only a pitstop in NYC to see a show we had tickets for, coming back from Europe, so we went for it.

I really can't recommend the hotel though. It's got inadequate elevator service, tiny rooms, that bathroom thing where you have no place to set any toiletries without risking them falling on the floor or into the toilet, and crummy noise insulation because although the walls between rooms and the exterior windows are just great, the room doors themselves allow in every decibel from the halls.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:23 am
SWG

Although I have spared no expense in bashing the SPG50 in the past, I do have to admit that I twice saved some money over the best available rate at the Essex House (not much, about $20-30). Of course, there were plenty of other times where an SPG50 rate was not available or not worth it.

Also, I realize that this is an already-discussed topic, but the Essex House will be leaving SPG soon. Might be a good time to give them a try and see if you can offload a 50.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by SST
I used one last week at the Four Points Chelsea. It was booked in September, when I discovered all the "good" starwood properties were going for $460+ a night, and I was able to get this hotel for a couple weekend nights at $155 after the 50% discount. It was only a pitstop in NYC to see a show we had tickets for, coming back from Europe, so we went for it.

I really can't recommend the hotel though. It's got inadequate elevator service, tiny rooms, that bathroom thing where you have no place to set any toiletries without risking them falling on the floor or into the toilet, and crummy noise insulation because although the walls between rooms and the exterior windows are just great, the room doors themselves allow in every decibel from the halls.
But hey -- for $155 per night in Manhattan, you got good value for money. Sounds like it was worth every penny and then some.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, SPG Plat
I used it at the St. Regis Essex House for a significant savings (over $100 per night) last summer.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:21 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I've used an SPG50 @ the W- The Court for a Urban Suite, was about 3-50 bucks below the best available rate. Although as I said before, try the Essex House winse we are lossing it.

-Vincent
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:58 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Either Bora Bora hotel?

Actually, there will be three in a few weeks time: Bora Bora Nui, Le Meridien and then finally St Regis will open.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by DCF
Either Bora Bora hotel?

Actually, there will be three in a few weeks time: Bora Bora Nui, Le Meridien and then finally St Regis will open.
The SPG50 rate plan no longer exists for Bora Bora Nui and does not appear in the available rate plans for the St. Regis Bora Bora. My best guess is when the rate plans are built for the Le Meridien Bora Bora, it will not be available there either.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 28, 2006, 1:50 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Thanks for that.

Bear in mind that Le Meridien Bora Bora was almost a prototype for the Nui and St Regis: a predominantly overwater hotel on an offshore motu (it was only the second such hotel to be built). It's similar to the other two, but the rooms are half the size, with a spacious bedroom and bathroom but no lounge.

I anticipate Rack Rates will stabilise as follows:

(Hotel, Premium overwater, Standard overwater, Beach)
St Regis - 160,000 CFP, 140,000 CFP, 120,000CFP.
Bora Bora Nui - 140,000 CFP, 120,000CFP, 100,000 CFP.
Le Meridien - 100,000 CFP, 80,000 CFP, 60,000CFP

Take off two zeroes to convert to US dollars.

In other words, SPG35s will work out as follows
St Regis: $1100, $950, $800
Bora Bora Nui: $950, $800, $650
Le Meridien: $650, $520, $390

I would be pretty happy with those rates, if you compare them to the Princeville, Westin Maui and Royal Hawaiian. Even the worst beach bungalow at Le Meridien Bora Bora is better than the best room at the Westin Maui.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: CO PLT, AA PLT, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Avis First
Just used an SPG50 at the Westin Horton Plaza, for 3 nights at $209 a night for a deluxe room. A good deal to me considering the cheapest I could find online at spg.com was $329 a night for a deluxe.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Not that I used it, but for a stay this week in BKKs ROS, I only found rack rates 200 USD 220USD or 240 USD, no special internetrate available.
So the voucher here would be worth at least 100 USD ++. But I did the the free stay for 4k points.
200 + 34TAXES = 234 = 5,85 cent per point !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.