Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Westin Club Privileges (as of 1 March 2019)

Guests of the Westin Club at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok are able to enjoy a range of exclusive privileges, including:
  • Access to the Westin Club Lounge from 06:30 to 23:30 hrs..- Breakfast from 06:30 to 11:00 hrs.
  • Afternoon tea from 12:00 to 16:00 hrs.
  • Evening Cocktails from 17:00 to 20:00 hrs.
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee and non-alcoholic refreshments, served in the lounge
  • Optionally, complimentary standard drinks at Seasonal Tastes, Kisso or Zest Bar & Terrace from 18:00 to 20:00 hrs.
  • Complimentary laundry or pressing of 2 pieces per day (non-cumulative). Not including dry cleaning and express service.
  • Complimentary Premium High Speed Internet throughout the hotel
  • Two hours per stay use of the Business Center meeting room
  • Complimentary local telephone calls and calling card access (toll free numbers)
  • Late check-out until 16:00 hrs. available upon request and subject to availability
  • Access to lounge for member plus one guest. This benefit only applies to the one guest room in which the Platinum Elite / Platinum Premier Elite member is staying.
Print Wikipost

Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
The SGS has a lousy pool area and no exec lounge...
OK, I'll bite, -- what don't you like about the SGS' pool area?

It's true that SGS has no executive lounge. Personally, I prefer full bartender and wait staff service to bottles left out for me to pour my own, as I prefer mixed drinks during cocktail hour. I know that some prefer the executive lounge setup, too; and many hotels do have exec lounges.

SGS has a number of options for happy hour complimentary drinks, all with full bartender and wait staff service along with a variety of chip/snacks/hors d'oeuvres, both western and Thai. And all have menus in case you would like to order more substantial snacks. The Sala (poolside), The Living Room (jazz club), The Library (quieter area adjacent to the Living Room), and BarSu (nightclub on the ground level, with both indoor and outdoor seating).

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 17, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The SGS has a lousy pool area . . .
You lost my attention with that statement.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
You lost my attention with that statement.
same here....
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
I think the SGS pool is overrated especially if swimming is on the agenda. I much prefer the PA. The Westin pool is ok for a swim but the surrounds are bland.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I would prefer to say that the Westin for me provides the best level of service in BKK. To be fair, the other hotels in BKK, including the plush St Regis, can not come close - after all, how can any hotel compete when comparing against a hotel I have stayed over 450 nights over the past 10 years...
You are not talking about the service level of the Westin, but the service level that you (and I) receive at the Westin. For us, we can't expect any other hotel to provide a similar level of service. That is not the same as saying that the level of service across the board cannot be beat. The level of service that many posters receive at the SGS is also excellent, based on the many stays they have accrued over the years. The true measure is whether the service level a first time guest receives is similar.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geminidreams
I think the SGS pool is overrated especially if swimming is on the agenda.
OP specifically referred to the "pool area" not the actual pool.
The SGS has a lousy pool area ....
Parenthetically, I note that OP has now failed to answer both of my questions:
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
My question remains, -- at what other Starwood hotels in Bangkok have you stayed?
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OK, I'll bite, -- what don't you like about the SGS' pool area?
While s/he's certainly under no obligation, it would help us understand the complaints and opinions if s/he answered my questions. As a regular guest at SGS and a somewhat less regular at LM, it makes me wonder whether s/he's actually ever stayed at these properties.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
You are not talking about the service level of the Westin, but the service level that you (and I) receive at the Westin. For us, we can't expect any other hotel to provide a similar level of service.
While it's true that we are recognized as regulars at our favorite hotels, we were not regulars on our first visit; and we went back for second (and subsequent) visits because of the way we were treated on our first visit. As you said, Yosithezet,
Originally Posted by yosithezet
The true measure is whether the service level a first time guest receives is similar.
OP's vague response ("I have stayed at other SPG hotels in BKK") and subsequent silence does leave me wondering which, if any, other hotels s/he has stayed at in Bangkok. Remember, OP didn't say that the service at WGS was better than the other SPG Bangkok properties at which s/he's stayed, -- OP said that "... the other hotels in BKK, including the plush St Regis, can not come close ...."

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Apr 18, 2017 at 12:46 am
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
yosithezet, correctly says "the service we get".. as repeat / regular guests...

My hotel strategy is to be loyal to a hotel - then you don't need to change.

I have stayed at ... St Regis, Sheraton Orchid & Plaza - but always return to the WGS, where the levels of service I receive there, have not been replicated (for me) elsewhere....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
yosithezet, correctly says "the service we get".. as repeat / regular guests...

My hotel strategy is to be loyal to a hotel - then you don't need to change.

I have stayed at ... St Regis, Sheraton Orchid & Plaza - but always return to the WGS, where the levels of service I receive there, have not been replicated (for me) elsewhere....
i understand your strategy but you have to appreciate that there is a world of difference between a regular guest & someone who stays once in a while....i have stayed at pretty much every bangkok spg property (except for the w) multiple times....i would not rank the westin as the best of the lot but would gladly return here as i've never had a bad stay....i have just had better stays at other properties....

for the last 6-7 years i have been spending about 35-40 nights a year at a particular property near iad....i have stayed at other nearby properties when there has been no availability here but my main reasons for coming back to my regular property is because it is walking distance from my client's office & they treat me really well....but having said that, this particular property is nothing to write home about, has no suites, small gym, pool that is closed 3 days a week, one small bar/restaurant & a tiny lounge....its safe to say that its not the best property in the area & there are similar priced options nearby that are much better in terms of location & amenities....if someone were to ask me for a recommendation on where to stay in this area then i would ideally recommend one of the other properties....

just because one place works for one individual doesn't mean that it would work for others....
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
"....i would not rank the westin as the best of the lot but would gladly return here as i've never had a bad stay....i have just had better stays at other properties...."

I have no problems recommending any hotel I receive excellent service, whether as a regular or a one off guest. The Westin in BKK provides excellent service (above the others I have stayed at...) hence why I will happily recommend and email the GM about the guest in advance...
@dr HFH - are you aware, executive lounge guests are able to drink at the bar on level 7 or in the lounge on 24, during cocktail hour. The bar on level 7 does have a bar tender service...

To those who enjoy the SGS pool, enjoy your long and healthy swim...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Westin in BKK provides excellent service (above the others I have stayed at...)
Perfectly valid observation. We ran into problems when you maintained that "... the other hotels in BKK, including the plush St Regis, can not come close ...." and it turned out that you had only stayed at three of them. I understand what you meant now.

Dr. HFH - are you aware, executive lounge guests are able to drink at the bar on level 7 or in the lounge on 24, during cocktail hour. The bar on level 7 does have a bar tender service...
No, I was not. I have only stayed at WGS once, and it was a number of years ago. I did go up to the lounge, but no one mentioned that I could also enjoy my PLT benefit at the bar. I'm not certain that this was the case then.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
" are you aware, executive lounge guests are able to drink at the bar on level 7 or in the lounge on 24, during cocktail hour. The bar on level 7 does have a bar tender service...
I thought the Level 7 bar was only for P100s. Certainly in the evening the lounge can be cramped.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:28 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
No, it's a club level benefit now I think or Plat benefit not sure. You have to ask for the "ambassador menu" though
it is mentioned on the benefits card...
I don't like the switch to yellow though...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:18 am

What I must mention from my latest two night stay is how much friendlier and on-point their lower-lobby staff have become.
They recognize you proactively, are eager to help with bags & taxis and the concierge are quick to action even with the most mundane requests.

Perhaps it might be the new director of rooms (Reena), who I know and respect personally for years, that have brought about these welcome changes.
Also great are the lounge staff – so personable and efficient at the same time.

Now if they had given me a room without so many scratches on all the furniture, it would’ve been a perfect stay..
Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geminidreams
I thought the Level 7 bar was only for P100s. Certainly in the evening the lounge can be cramped.
I was invited though im just a 'lowly P50'.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, I've stayed at most of the SPG's, except the St. Regis and 4 Pts, in BKK and the SGS pool can be a bit shady, with few lounge chairs in the sun. And, it's not really a pool for swimming laps, etc. Mostly wading or cooling off. So it depends on what you like. In BKK, the Grand Hyatt has one of the nicer pool areas, though I don't like that hotel as much since they screwed up the Grand Club, well, and the poor views from most of their rooms.

Also, the SGS is going for US$120, prepaid, most weekends in May. Probably can find a BRG off that due to the low season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.