Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
[email protected]

Westin Club Privileges (as of 1 March 2019)

Guests of the Westin Club at The Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok are able to enjoy a range of exclusive privileges, including:
  • Access to the Westin Club Lounge from 06:30 to 23:30 hrs..- Breakfast from 06:30 to 11:00 hrs.
  • Afternoon tea from 12:00 to 16:00 hrs.
  • Evening Cocktails from 17:00 to 20:00 hrs.
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee and non-alcoholic refreshments, served in the lounge
  • Optionally, complimentary standard drinks at Seasonal Tastes, Kisso or Zest Bar & Terrace from 18:00 to 20:00 hrs.
  • Complimentary laundry or pressing of 2 pieces per day (non-cumulative). Not including dry cleaning and express service.
  • Complimentary Premium High Speed Internet throughout the hotel
  • Two hours per stay use of the Business Center meeting room
  • Complimentary local telephone calls and calling card access (toll free numbers)
  • Late check-out until 16:00 hrs. available upon request and subject to availability
  • Access to lounge for member plus one guest. This benefit only applies to the one guest room in which the Platinum Elite / Platinum Premier Elite member is staying.
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Print Wikipost

Westin Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
Not the best SPG property. Suggest staying at St Regis or GH Bangkok next time if you are looking for something upscale.

There are lots of nice hotels in Bangkok, and I'm sure you will find something that suits your needs.

Originally Posted by lingua101

Personally, I will rather to stay in FP as you will not get suite also in Westin.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
yup

the whole glass door cracked.and the top part if fall into pieces when we came back to the room.

It was fine before we left the room. that's why I said "Auto" shattered.
OK, got it. I just didn't understand what you were talking about.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OK, got it. I just didn't understand what you were talking about.
Picture worth a thousand words
Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I also do not have a good impression about this hotel. My first stay, the glass door was auto shattered when we came back to the room. I requested to speak to Hotel Manager and she kept just apologizing. Nothing was being offered. I know this is not entirely hotel fault but I am expecting some kind of good will things from the hotel, probably 1000 points? Westin Toronto offered me 1000 points, because I was told them my stay was ok.

Well she did offer to give me a best room as I told her I will be back the week after, after my company meeting in Double Tree. She did promise me a suite.

When I checked in (after 3pm), I was told the suite is not ready yet. Well, I was expected that my room was pre-prepared as she promised a suite for me for "compensation". I ended up getting a suite at the corner. Looks quite old. And you know what the toilet bowl chain broken, luckily it did not happen at the middle of the night as this will freak me out.

For me, this is definitely not the best room in my definition as promised by the HM.

I did write to the Complex GM. He offered a night suite, when I told them that I have no clear plan when I will be in Bangkok again, I got a reply from the Hotel GM saying that they will keep this offer until 24-December.

It is rather shocking for me as I expected they will say, they will honor this as and when I come to Bangkok, which was offered by Sofitel Metropople Hotel Manager.

Also I found the lobby of this hotel is always busy as they always have over flown meeting.

Location is definitely a great plus and the concierge team are superbs.

Lounge is small and nothing to talk about. They have over flow room which actually guess room with out a bed.

Personally, I will rather to stay in FP as you will not get suite also in Westin.
Westin Toronto, Sofitel Metropole, and now the Westin Bangkok. It sounds like you often encounter problems at hotels, or at least request compensation when things aren't perfect?

An upgrade to a suite plus a free suite night for a broken shower door sounds more than generous as compensation, much more than the 1000 points you requested.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: AC-SE Hhonors-G IHG-P
Very disappointed with Platinum upgrades at this hotel.

Stayed here for the first time last week, only received a regular room on the 22nd floor, despite both corner and suite rooms were still available on spg.com when I checked-in. I didn't raise the issue since it was just a quick 1-night stay.

Today, I just checked-in to this hotel again for a 2-night stay. I requested upgrade to a suite at checkin, but despite spg.com still selling suite rooms, the staff said the hotel is full and only a smoking suite were available for the 1st night, and I'd have to move to a regular room tomorrow...

Guess I will find other hotels in the city for my future visits.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Westin Toronto, Sofitel Metropole, and now the Westin Bangkok. It sounds like you often encounter problems at hotels, or at least request compensation when things aren't perfect?

An upgrade to a suite plus a free suite night for a broken shower door sounds more than generous as compensation, much more than the 1000 points you requested.
Well, we are here to share our experiences to others. If you think what I wrote is rubbish, you can just skip it.

2 problematic stays this years (Sofitel Metrople and Westin Bangkok) out of at least 30 stays so far this year, this is not even 10%.

I probably have some level of standard and apply different standard for different level of hotels.

I definitely expect the best service and standard from hotel like Sofitel Legend Metropole as they advertised they are the best in town and they charge quite premium for Hanoi market.

Again offering Platinum member a suite room on the next stay to me is not really a form of compensation as this is part of the benefit.

Offering a free suite room with time limit by 24-December-2016 does not sound so sincere to me (well again, you may find it acceptable), as I may not travel to Bangkok by then. At least the offer from Sofitel Metropole FOM is more sincere, as he told me to approach him personally when I am back in town.

If I do not have any travel plan to Bangkok by 24-Dec, they can offer me the presidential suite for a week, but this is worth nothing as I cannot use it anyway. I think the hotel really needs to think when they are offering "compensation" if the cost that incurred by the hotel really being enjoyed and appreciated by the receiving end. Many time, it is not.

Just for the record, I do not have problem with Westin Toronto. I quoted them, as I was quite impress on their level of service. They simply not satisfy when I told them my stay just OK and offered me 1,000 points for compensation. I really impress with it. This is quite contrary with Westin Bangkok.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by bertuzzi
Very disappointed with Platinum upgrades at this hotel.

Stayed here for the first time last week, only received a regular room on the 22nd floor, despite both corner and suite rooms were still available on spg.com when I checked-in. I didn't raise the issue since it was just a quick 1-night stay.

Today, I just checked-in to this hotel again for a 2-night stay. I requested upgrade to a suite at checkin, but despite spg.com still selling suite rooms, the staff said the hotel is full and only a smoking suite were available for the 1st night, and I'd have to move to a regular room tomorrow...

Guess I will find other hotels in the city for my future visits.
Can't agree more with you. I think may be the hotel owner is very calculative and the hotel is quite busy anyway and hence they do not really care much if the SPG Elite will stay there or not.

I will definitely do the same like you, as many other SPG hotel (and not to mention any other brand) in the city that offer much better service and treat their elites better.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:01 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
yup

the whole glass door cracked.and the top part if fall into pieces when we came back to the room.

It was fine before we left the room. that's why I said "Auto" shattered.

Here is picture

After some 4-500 nights in upgraded suite rooms at this property, I've never had a shower "auto-shatter" or the chain in the toilet break.

That door probably opens in a way that it can easily hit the counter of the sink. Poor design for sure. I imagine that over the years it has had quite a bit of bangs. Here in FT there was someone who broke the shower door and cut his foot I think. Many years ago.

It has been several years since I didn't get a suite upgrade and the service here has been amazing for me. I feel guilty when I stay elsewhere, even though I need to from time to time to maintain my Hyatt Diamond.

When I checked in 10 days ago, they apologized that the suite they had me slated for was still occupied. It was 3PM, and as we know, Plats often stay until 4. We had plans so it didn't really matter. We went out and while out they said that the guest had unfortunately decided to extend their stay and asked if I'd mind a different suite that wasn't on the Executive floor. That was again fine with me.

What I find is that by being flexible, I get treated amazingly at this specific property.

Yesterday I checked into the Shangri-la Fort in Manila around 2PM. They apologized that they were quite full and would I prefer to wait for a king bed or would a twin room be ok. For the one night stay I was fine with the twin. When I got to the room there was a smell of smoke, in the non-smoking hotel. They sent an ionizer and then called and asked if they could change me to another room. I'd only just plugged in my electronics, so that was fine.

Let me ask, did you happen to explain to the GM that you didn't think you would be back by December 24, you understand that during the high Christmas/New Year season it is hard to honor a free night, and would it be ok to use the free night in the new year? That would have been my tactic and I'm guessing it would work for most properties.

Last edited by yosithezet; Aug 30, 2016 at 2:11 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
After some 4-500 nights in upgraded suite rooms at this property, I've never had a shower "auto-shatter" or the chain in the toilet break.

That door probably opens in a way that it can easily hit the counter of the sink. Poor design for sure. I imagine that over the years it has had quite a bit of bangs. Here in FT there was someone who broke the shower door and cut his foot I think. Many years ago.
As I mentioned no one in the room. I left the room around 10am and the glass door was on the normal condition. I think we used the shower about an hour before that.

When we came back to the room, the door was in that condition. That's why I said "auto-shatter", as no one was in the room and nothing was being done to the door.

I got few friends in the hospitality industries and they (except one) have never had this experience.

Personally I am still curious why the glass out of sudden shattered.

The toilet chain break is actually a tear and wear. If the hotel does a proper maintenance this should not happen as they should have noticed that it is the time to change it. This is precisely my point, that the room given to me was definitely not the "best room" as promised. It is all a lip service.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I actually had a pleasant 6 nights stay last week. No suite was available for the first 2 night, but they upgraded me to the suite for the last 4 nights.

The shower door in my room is indeed easily being knocked onto the toilet bowl if you push the door outward instead of inward. I think that was a poorly thought design functional wise.

Beside the lounge access, I was also given the option of having drinks in zest bar which I feel is the better option.

Overall it's a good stay, and the location is as good as it can be.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Club Lounge Food offerings?

Considering a stay here next month.

Any information of breakfast and other food offering in the club lounge at this property? Any snacks in the lounge during the day?

Is the restaurant breakfast offered for PLTs?

Any information appreciated.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:49 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Used to be full bf at restaurant during my last stay.

During day there are some Sandwiches and cake... Not bad but next door is Terminal 21 with delicious stuff
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Considering a stay here next month.

Any information of breakfast and other food offering in the club lounge at this property? Any snacks in the lounge during the day?

Is the restaurant breakfast offered for PLTs?

Any information appreciated.
Breakfast is in the restaurant and lounge whilst keeping the 500 points.

There are sandwiches and other snacks available during the day in the lounge and the evening fare is quite extensive. If you wanted to you could skip dinner and go there.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Breakfast is in the restaurant and lounge whilst keeping the 500 points.

There are sandwiches and other snacks available during the day in the lounge and the evening fare is quite extensive. If you wanted to you could skip dinner and go there.
I surely would disagree with skipping dinner - the lounge is not that extensive but does have nice appetizers and drinks. It is not usually veggie/pescetarian friendly either. It also gets very crowded since the lounge is quite small.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I ambled into the lounge at 5:15 this evening and was offered a drink at 5:20. ^

When I checked in this afternoon there was an older eastern European (?) couple who wreaked of perfume, listening to their phone (radio) and grabbing sandwiches with her hands.... and then just a few moments ago a guy listening, aloud, to news clips on his computer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.