Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cln
this hotel is going for 89€ on many dates via secretdeal on lastminute.de ( no BRG possible )
Thanks, nice deal. Any experience with how the hotel is with extending SPG Platinum or a Gold benefits on such stays (even as the program rules don't require the hotel to grant such benefits on such stays)?
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Thanks, nice deal. Any experience with how the hotel is with extending SPG Platinum or a Gold benefits on such stays (even as the program rules don't require the hotel to grant such benefits on such stays)?
I guess you will meet quite some airline crew members, because your room will be right next to their quarters.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: lh sen
Originally Posted by cln
this hotel is going for 89€ on many dates via secretdeal on lastminute.de ( no BRG possible )
89 € on lastminute.de instead 169 € on their own webpage is an appropriate price for this hotel. I booked a room with lastminute.de for end of may as I have a day in court (the court house is just across the street). The Westin Grand Frankfurt plays at the same low level as the The Westin Grand Berlin. Not to compare with The Westin Leipzig which is a really nice hotel but for 89 € a hotel in Frankfurt? Take it.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carpetbagger
89 € on lastminute.de instead 169 € on their own webpage is an appropriate price for this hotel. I booked a room with lastminute.de for end of may as I have a day in court (the court house is just across the street). The Westin Grand Frankfurt plays at the same low level as the The Westin Grand Berlin. Not to compare with The Westin Leipzig which is a really nice hotel but for 89 € a hotel in Frankfurt? Take it.
It is not that easy.

All three hotels are quite solid, Westin Grand Frankfurt is the most luxurious, followed by Leipzig (except the base level rooms) and Berlin (8 years since the last major renovation)

The senior suites in Frankfurt and Leipzig are among the best SPG rooms you can get in Europe.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by FD1971
The senior suites in Frankfurt and Leipzig are among the best SPG rooms you can get in Europe.
Are you sure?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:12 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Please report after your stay.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Are you sure?
If I add "available for regular upgrades" and "in a modern business hotel" I would agree...
Old May 30, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by cln
Please report after your stay.

I stayed at the Westin Frankfurt for 89 € prepaid rate classic, had claimed a brg which they first denied but then sort of accepted. As most of the stays with SPG only an low upgrade (no standard suite), room 400 which is executive level. Lounge access, no extra points. The rate indicated in the profile was 75 € that is probably what the hotel gets from lastminute.de.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:11 am
Suspended

I stayed at the Westin Frankfurt for 89 € prepaid rate classic, had claimed a brg which they first denied but then sort of accepted. As most of the stays with SPG only an low upgrade (no standard suite), room 400 which is executive level. Lounge access, no extra points. The rate indicated in the profile was 75 € that is probably what the hotel gets from lastminute.de.
Are we talking about a Sunday night stay?

Thanks.
Old May 31, 2014, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Are we talking about a Sunday night stay?

Thanks.

friday to saturday and wednesday to thursday
Old May 31, 2014, 7:47 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
So you got a BRG approved on that ? I don't really like the Westin but for that rate i would go back. I usually stay at Sheraton Congress,...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Here's a brief review with pictures from a stay a few months ago:

While in the Lufthansa First Class lounge in New York-JFK, we had to scurry and find a place to stay in Frankfurt the following night. Since we had just switched our flights hours before take off, we didn’t have very much notice but were very glad to have an opportunity to visit Frankfurt–a new city!

Booking

Because I have Diamond status with Hyatt and Platinum status with Starwood, I preferred to book a property at either one of those chains. When I jumped online, I found that my only Hyatt option for “Frank…” would be Franklin, Tennessee:

The good news is that Starwood has a few more options:

Starwood coming through with 6 offerings in the Frankfurt area, 2 are in the heart of the city

I found that the 2 properties with locations in the central downtown area of Frankfurt (The Westin and Le Méridien) had options for SPG Free Nights or Cash & Points:

A quick TripAdvisor search revealed that Le Méridien Parkhotel Frankfurt had a 77% rating and was ranked #41 of 262 hotels in Frankfurt. The Westin Grand Frankfurt, however, was ranked much higher at 84% rating and #13 of 262 hotels in Frankfurt. For the extra 1,000 Starpoints and $35, this was a pretty easy decision.

Check-In

Finding the hotel was easy from the airport: it’s just a short 15-20 min train and then less than a 5 minute walk to the Westin. We got to the hotel around 2pm after our transatlantic flight from New York. The hotel’s location was really the biggest selling point of the hotel — as soon as you walked out of the front door, you were catapulted into downtown Frankfurt, just minutes away from the busiest street with stalls and stalls of Christmas Market festivities.

The lobby is very large by European standards, with check-in desks to the right, a large open area and then stairs up to the second level (and Westin Executive Club).

The Room

The hallways are extremely long and not very well lit:

Helloooooooooooooo down there!

No upgrade for us on this short stay, but it looks like they may only have 1 suite per floor?

Our room, although quite cozy, was nice and pretty much on par with US Westin standards (which is saying a lot for a hotel in the downtown area of a large European city). All of the amenities we’ve grown to love were there…most importantly the Nespresso machine! When we see one of those, we know we’ve picked a good hotel.

Classic Room: King Bed

Desk

Classic Room: Closet area

And, best of all: an in-room Nespresso machine!

Glorious Nespresso at my finger tips!

The Bathroom

This is one area that was far and above superior to a typical Westin: the all marble bathroom. And, it was much bigger than many European hotel bathrooms, so another big win here.

Classic Room Bathroom: All marble!

Classic Room: The shower/tub

Executive Club

As a Starwood Platinum member, we had access to the Westin Executive Club:

Overall, the Executive Club was great; if you were traveling in Frankfurt on a budget, you could easily supplement your meals here as all of the offerings were quite substantial. We found ourselves stopping in the club on our way to and from the hotel for a quick cup of coffee or snack. It was a nice benefit and we took full advantage. The snacks and drinks changed depending on time of day but there was always something tasty and you could get quite the filling snack (especially if you wanted to take a break from the street-side brats).

Westin Executive Club: Mid-day snacks

Westin Executive Club: Mid-day snacks

Free beer, wine and soft drinks

Looking down on the main lobby from the Executive Club

Plenty of seating, nice open feel over looking the main lobby

BOTTOM LINE: Given that it was very short notice, we were very please with The Westin Grand Frankfurt–the 12,000 Starpoints or 6,000 Starpoints + $110 ended up being a good value for us. The location is excellent, right in the thick of Frankfurt sightseeing and the Executive Club was one of the best Westin lounges I’ve seen.
------------------------------------
Full review with photo gallery and proper formatting can be viewed here: Weekend Blitz - Westin Grand Frankfurt Hotel Review – Frankfurt, Germany
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Great write up! Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Great Stay

We arrived at the Westin Grand Frankfurt at 7:30 AM after overnight flight from BKK. The hotel was sold out the night before and no rooms available to check in and no suites available for upgrade. We selected a classic room with 2 singles beds (1.4m wide so ~American double).

We rested at the Executive Club before heading out to Zeil and Romer for sightseeing. When we were leaving around 9:30 AM, FD called us and said a customer checked out a day early and we were upgraded to the vacated 2-room Junior Suite. The living room already had a roll away bed set up for our daughter when we got in to drop off our luggage. There was no roll away bed charge for 3rd person assessed when I checked out.

This was the first suite upgrade I have at this hotel, just when I needed it the most, on vacation with family. Along with the great FD staff, this was an excellent one night award stay.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:45 am

I had to stay one night in the Westin Frankfurt and the price was around 180 € on the SPG webpage. I found it as "secret hotel" on lastminute.de for 89 € and booked it.Did not expect any perks in this hotel for my platinum status as I had never get any upgrade. When checking in and showing my SPG card I got an upgrade to a suite on the 6th floor, access to the lounge, free internet and late check-out. Amazing this hotel. When booking on the SPG webpage for a high price I get no goodies, booking it deeply discounted I get all goodies!

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.