Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chennai (MAA) India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chennai (MAA) India

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Thanks for the review karenkay, may I know which property you were referring to?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Thanks for the review karenkay, may I know which property you were referring to?
Sheesh, sorry, Icpteck, of course. The review was for the Westin Chennai Velachery. I've also changed the text in the review itself to be more clear.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:28 am

Sheraton Park Hotel & Towers, Chennai - Leaving Starwood on May 1, 2015

Sheraton Park Hotel & Towers, Chennai

Leaving Starwood on May 1, 2015

Source: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=418
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by James Luckard

Will miss this property. Sure it lacked in grandeur or opulence but I much preferred this hotel over the Grand Chola for its staff - most of them have been working here for decades and it shows in efficiency, English proficiency and the kind of service mindset that caters to international travelers whilst retaining the sense of Indian hospitality.

It is also arguably the best located SPG option in Chennai... ah well
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum

This was a long standing partnership with Starwood as far back as i can remember...Wonder what the story is...??
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I had booked a room in January for 4 nights. Is the hotel still a good place to stay? Or should I move to the Westin? I got a great rate at this hotel but am worried what the change means.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
This was a long standing partnership with Starwood as far back as i can remember...Wonder what the story is...??
Converted to Crowne Plaza:

http://www.indiagazette.com/index.php/sid/232514159
Old May 7, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Interesting shift...
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
I have a 14 night stay in Chennai coming up for work in a few weeks, and was hoping for a bit of advice:

1) I'm majorly behind on stay credits this year, so hotel hopping to get at least 10 stay credits would be nice
2) Client is unfortunately rather south of the city, so the Aloft is by far the most convenient location, about 15 minute drive I'm told from the client (which is even further south than the Aloft
3) I don't mind an hour commute in traffic to get the stay credits, as it's likely to be 9-10 hour days max, so I don't mind using my free time to move between hotels...thinking of using one (maybe Chola?) as a base, leaving cases there and just bringing enough for one night to another property (Aloft on some work nights?)

Thoughts? Is this a ridiculous idea? It's likely to save me several $70-100 throwaway stays later in the year, so I'm willing to put up with some inconvenience
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Hi,

I was looking on the properties in Chennai. however, none seems showing the full rate including the tax and services.

For example this is what I got for Le Royal Meridien

Room Rate Total for your stay: INR ₹5,950.00

Taxes: LUXURY TAX@RACK of 12.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
SER TAX@BAR of 8.40% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

Any idea how much I need to add to come up with net value.

I notice in some other website this ++ can be up to 25-30%. Can someone advise?

Also any recommendation on the properties in Chennai? Le Royal Meridien or Westin?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by lingua101
For example this is what I got for Le Royal Meridien

Room Rate Total for your stay: INR ₹5,950.00

Taxes: LUXURY TAX@RACK of 12.50% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.
SER TAX@BAR of 8.40% Per Room / Per Night is not included in the rate.

Also any recommendation on the properties in Chennai? Le Royal Meridien or Westin?
First, the 8.4% is legit, you can just add that.

re: 12.50% luxury tax, it's based on rack rate of the room you sleep in. If you're upgraded to a suite, watch out. It could be 12.50% on 30,000 INR or more. That said, most properties will advise before upgrading. Be careful, even a club level upgrade could end up with a 20%+ luxury tax on your original rate.

I'm in Chennai now, two thoughts on the properties I've stayed at, Westin and ITC Grand Chola.

Service at both is outstanding in a way you'll never get in North America. No request is too little, and chances are they'll remember, and call you by name constantly.

Westin is like a North America Westin as far as rooms. Pretty bland, generic, and boring, but it has a great breakfast.

ITC Grand Chola is fantastic, and just takes things to the next level. Usual Platinum upgrade is a Towers room, which is 600+ sq ft, and pretty amazing. I'm sitting in one now for the 7th day this week and loving it.

That said, location location, location. Chennai traffic is gruesome.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
First, the 8.4% is legit, you can just add that.

re: 12.50% luxury tax, it's based on rack rate of the room you sleep in. If you're upgraded to a suite, watch out. It could be 12.50% on 30,000 INR or more. That said, most properties will advise before upgrading. Be careful, even a club level upgrade could end up with a 20%+ luxury tax on your original rate.

I'm in Chennai now, two thoughts on the properties I've stayed at, Westin and ITC Grand Chola.

Service at both is outstanding in a way you'll never get in North America. No request is too little, and chances are they'll remember, and call you by name constantly.

Westin is like a North America Westin as far as rooms. Pretty bland, generic, and boring, but it has a great breakfast.

ITC Grand Chola is fantastic, and just takes things to the next level. Usual Platinum upgrade is a Towers room, which is 600+ sq ft, and pretty amazing. I'm sitting in one now for the 7th day this week and loving it.

That said, location location, location. Chennai traffic is gruesome.

This sound complicated. So you never know what will be your final bill before hand? Is Flexi Rate can be used as a Rack? Does this mean that you will pay same amount of Luxury Rate on each room category? If that the case why SPG cannot just quote that amount?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by karenkay
Sheesh, sorry, Icpteck, of course. The review was for the Westin Chennai Velachery. I've also changed the text in the review itself to be more clear.
Thanks for the info, it's actually Lcpteck .
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Seems like the tax issue will stop us from requesting suite upgrade......
Old Jan 23, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Currently I am in Chennai, because of no rooms available for 2 consecutive weeks + I have matress run in IHG, I did stayed in the Crowne Plaza mentioned above, and I stayed Le Royal Meridien a few days ago and now in ITC Grand Chola. A year ago I did stayed in Westin as well.

Not sure about what has been changed after Sheraton -> Crowne Plaza, I guess not really much, it's pretty old, even compared with LM. Last night was my 1st night in ITC, wow.....much much better. In the past I usually stay at Park Hyatt, but I would rather prefer ITC afterwards.

Westin is also a good choice when compared with LM, I haven't stayed Aloft but I guess there won't be a chance for me to be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.