Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When do you expect the next SPG point sale?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2015, 6:47 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
When do you expect the next SPG point sale?

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buying some SPG points in preparation for a trip to Europe next summer. In your opinion, will there be a point sale this November?

I find that the points & cash price is usually a great deal at many Westin-type properties in Europe.

Thank you!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sorry, but at the risk of being difficult, does anyone's opinion here really help you short of input from a Lurker if you're depending on it for making travel plans?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Previously SPG point sale discount 25%
The last sale discount only 20%
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Sometimes getting a one nighter BRG is much better than buying points. You would also get nights/stay credits.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:50 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Sometimes getting a one nighter BRG is much better than buying points. You would also get nights/stay credits.
I'm confused. A BRG gives you a discount on an inexpensive room rate as well as point/night/stay credit for what you spend on the room, counted as a SPG booking. You don't get a ton of bonus points for it.

OTOH, free nights (paid with points) earn night/stay credit (but don't count as eligible nights for promos).
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I would say sometime within the next 30 days there will be a points sale. They have offered it for many years in a row now towards the end of Oct/early Nov.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. A BRG gives you a discount on an inexpensive room rate as well as point/night/stay credit for what you spend on the room, counted as a SPG booking. You don't get a ton of bonus points for it.

OTOH, free nights (paid with points) earn night/stay credit (but don't count as eligible nights for promos).
Cheap one nighters is much better than buying points. I had a BRG stay recently for 55 USD. So if you include the welcome amenity, that means I received 2665 points for $61 tax included. You won't find 2665 points for $61 when buying starpoints.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

You can choose 2,000 points instead of the discount.

If you have status, you will also earn 250/500 points as a welcome amenity. Plus, base points plus promo points.

Fairly easy to get 2500-3000 points from a one-night mattress run (or actual stay). If you do it in a part of the world where the one-night stay costs $80 or less, you're buying points cheaper than during the sale... And picking up stays and nights for status / lifetime status...

P.S. Last year's autumn promo with the 25% discount ran from mid-November until the end of December. In 2013, it ran from mid-November until mid-December...
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:21 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I would say sometime within the next 30 days there will be a points sale. They have offered it for many years in a row now towards the end of Oct/early Nov.
Thanks. I will be watching this for the next month or so.

For some high-end hotels in Europe that have cash and points promotion, the 2.65 cents per point is a good deal. Not always but sometimes it is.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You can choose 2,000 points instead of the discount.

If you have status, you will also earn 250/500 points as a welcome amenity. Plus, base points plus promo points.

Fairly easy to get 2500-3000 points from a one-night mattress run (or actual stay). If you do it in a part of the world where the one-night stay costs $80 or less, you're buying points cheaper than during the sale... And picking up stays and nights for status / lifetime status...

P.S. Last year's autumn promo with the 25% discount ran from mid-November until the end of December. In 2013, it ran from mid-November until mid-December...
Sorry if this has already been explained - how did you get the 2000 points? I guess I am lack of knowledge here... Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Sorry if this has already been explained - how did you get the 2000 points? I guess I am lack of knowledge here... Thanks!
It's a Best Rate Guarantee award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.