Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smoking charge (when no one smoked)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Generally and philosophically, I agree. However, there is a slippery slope problem here, too. At what point do "damages" become "extraordinary" and require more than "normal" housekeeping attention? And who makes these decisions? How specifically need they be spelled out to guests?
Yep, completely agree. After all, running a hotel is a business and it comes with a certain degree of expenses. And the notion that a hotel would raise its rates because of the minor expense of someone puking on the carpet not only defies basic economics (because markets set the price, not your cost structure), but misunderstands where the bulk of expenses reside in the hotel biz (as in, not labor but physical plant). Neither are many hotels ever 100 percent booked so 'taking the room out of rotation' is rarely a concern. In fact it happens all the time due to maintenance, repairs or other issues in the normal ongoing upkeep of a property. All of this to say, the $200 is far more likely to be imposed as a disincentive to smokers than as any kind of reasonable approximation of the actual expense to remediate the odor from a single smoker occupying the room for a few days.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I smoke dope and have some in my office. ( legal in Washington) I can tell you my house does not smell of marijuana.( I smoke outside) I don't believe that a baggie of dope temporarily sitting around a hotel room would initiate a deep cleaning.

As I read a few posts up...I would be more concerned about the " few crumbs" of illegal substance found in the room.....surprised they didn't call the cops...and maybe the hotel is trying to remove all the physical traces of the spilled dope and it's less about smell.

" Smoking charge/deep cleaning" may be just a line item description for extra vacuuming to remove what is perceived as illegal drugs from their hotel room.

I'd pay it and be grateful the cops were not called despite the fact it was legally processed.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
It looks like it's an initiative called Breathe Westin. It is definitely related to actual smoking. For some reason I only found a mobile website.

https://m.starwoodhotels.com/westin/...elWell.Breathe
http://westinwellbeing.starwoodpromo...reathe-westin/

But again, it says "smoke-free" ... no smoking = smoke-free. This is not a new program. It was started in 2006 when the idea of a hotel with non-smoking rooms only was not the same reality that we live in today. Assuming OP is telling the truth, nothing he described violates this policy.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
So pets smoke? There's also a cleaning fee assessed at Westins for pets.

Maybe I should start bringing Epoisses cheese (banned on public transport in France) to SPG properties and stink up my room with that. Then I can argue that I didn't smoke the cheese so I shouldn't have to pay a deep cleaning fee.
The hotel has a pet policy. The hotel has a smoking policy. The hotel has a cleaning fee associated with each of these policies. The big difference between your point and mine... THE OP DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM!

If you are assessed a cleaning fee because of a pet AND you did NOT have a pet in the room (perhaps your wife is extra hairy, perhaps she had a fur coat), then the situations would be similar.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't understand. What other evidence would you expect beyond odor and residue?
Ashes. Roach. Burn marks. Smoke smell. There is a big difference between the odor of marijuana in a bag and marijuana that has been smoked. Equate this to being charged a cleaning fee because the cleaning personnel found an open pack of cigarettes in the room and no evidence/smell of cigarette smoke. It would seem like a lot of people in this thread have NEVER been around or smelled marijuana. The people invoking imagery from walking in California and smelling marijuana are smelling something burning... not the same situation.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jibi
http://westinwellbeing.starwoodpromo...reathe-westin/

But again, it says "smoke-free" ... no smoking = smoke-free. This is not a new program. It was started in 2006 when the idea of a hotel with non-smoking rooms only was not the same reality that we live in today. Assuming OP is telling the truth, nothing he described violates this policy.
Exactly the point I'm trying to make.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:28 am

I would do a chargeback AND a terrible review on TripAdvisor.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:27 am

Wink

Originally Posted by throwtheaccountaway
I am a longtime SPG customer, who has a companion who is terminally ill. I am a SPG Lifetime Gold, and yearly still stay over 50-60/nts without a problem.

I recently stayed at a SPG property in a medical marijuana state. My companion who stayed with me brought their medicine in to the hotel room. And like all of her stays, she only prepared her medicine in the room - but would never consume it in the room.

The problem: hotel has charged us a smoking fee because they were able to locate a few crumbs of marijuana, and because the room supposedly had smelled of marijuana.

While my companion doesn't suffer from tremors too terribly, as of late they have become more of a problem. I am fairly certain that her tremors left those crumbs they found.

The hotel has refused to credit the folio, and has encouraged us to dispute this with a credit card company.

1) Does this seem right?

2) Can you still be charged a smoking fee, even if you did not smoke?

3) Are you allowed to store medicine in hotel rooms in Starwood properties? Or are certain medicines not permitted?

4) Have smoking fees become an ambiguous fee for a room that requires extra cleaning? E.G. - Pretend I work at a fish processing plant or fish restaurant, and I come back to my Starwood hotel and unfortunately leave a lingering smell, would I then be charged for "smoking"?

5) If you were a tobacco smoker who left a broken cigarette and some tobacco leaves in the room (which house keeping cleaned up); but never smoked in the room; would you then be charged for smoking?

6) If I took a laxative to help me with a medical issue, and left the hotel room with a lingering smell. Would I be charged a $200 fee for smoking, so that the room gets a "thorough cleaning?"

We're being charged by Starwood for storing medicine in a room. We use the privacy of our room to prepare the medicine for use in appropriate locations. We literally do everything we can to try and obey the rules, but it isn't enough. We buy a hotel night for privacy and for comfort. Now I feel I can't even rely on Starwood for privacy, or for them to respect medical treatments.

What would you do? Would you just dispute this with your credit card company?
. Maybe you should have left a TIP, I always tip everyday in case she has a day off, I smoke and I TIP, Never had a Maid Who Complained...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Dannyboy666
. Maybe you should have left a TIP, I always tip everyday in case she has a day off, I smoke and I TIP, Never had a Maid Who Complained...
This is the best advice in the whole thread.^

I have found that well-tipped maids are very forgiving, and often leave extra items, e.g. towels and amenities, and sometimes heartfelt notes.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This is the best advice in the whole thread.^

I have found that well-tipped maids are very forgiving, and often leave extra items, e.g. towels and amenities, and sometimes heartfelt notes.
Very true, whenever I messed up the room (usually spilling on carpet/bed), I always leave a tip in the morning and a cleaning charge has never showed up on my bill.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
In this case, I bet the deep clean was even more necessary for the hotel to be in the clear, legally speaking.

Last edited by pWei; Oct 11, 2015 at 4:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.