Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Thanks! So no SPG properties nearby S-Bahn stations?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:31 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Thanks! So no SPG properties nearby S-Bahn stations?
Not at all!

Arabella Westpark is almost on top of a S-Bahn station.

And not too certain about the ArabellaPark & the Arabella Grand in the Bogenhausen area, but IIRC they might be close a public transport stop too.

(You might have to change to get on the line that goes to the airport though.)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Not at all!

Arabella Westpark is almost on top of a S-Bahn station.

And not too certain about the ArabellaPark & the Arabella Grand in the Bogenhausen area, but IIRC they might be close a public transport stop too.

(You might have to change to get on the line that goes to the airport though.)

Or how about the Le Meridien, which is across the street from the Hauptbahnhof (Main train station) which host both long distance and S-bahn trains?
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Because the airport hotel is behind the airport and its runways, it's actually around 12+ km to follow the roads from the airport terminal entrance.

The suggestions for hotels on the S-bahn are good. The Westpark (whose name has changed slightly; it no longer includes the Arabella name) looks to be the most convenient, but none other than the airport hotel appear to be inconvenient to the S-bahn.

All of these hotels are mapped precisely in my Google Earth files, and you can see many of the S-bahn lines and stops in Google Earth by selecting the Transportation layer in the Places of Interest group.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:44 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Trying to use points at this property

I'm on my way to MUC in early Feb and have an early flight home. I'm trying to use points in this hotel and even though they have standard 2 singles rooms available they claim to not have any rewards rooms (standard lower than 2 singles) available. The Platinum desk tried to call and free up a room and they refused. So much for no blackout dates at this hotel.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by thepla
I'm on my way to MUC in early Feb and have an early flight home. I'm trying to use points in this hotel and even though they have standard 2 singles rooms available they claim to not have any rewards rooms (standard lower than 2 singles) available. The Platinum desk tried to call and free up a room and they refused. So much for no blackout dates at this hotel.
See this thread from the last couple of days about this problem at this very hotel. When did you last check for awards? Was it since yesterday afternoon? I would suggest continuing your discussion in this other thread.

Fortunately, this seems to be a problem unique to this hotel and their management.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by thepla
Hi thepla,

I had the exact same problem! Please follow the link provided on the above post.

The bottom line is the hotel is changing cat. from 2 to 3 and they decided to pull all award avail. until the change in Feb. The hotel is conducting itself in a rather shady manner, not a good first impression

I had to get Corp. Customer Service involved as The Platinum Concierge was able to get nowhere with the hotel directly.

William (Starwood Lurker) helped me out ^
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for pointing to check out the other post. Award space is available as a Cat 2.

THanks Again,
thepla
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:53 pm
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
I have not been to Munich before but am looking at staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central. This hotel appears to be really close to the Central Station.
The next night I was going to stay at the Munich Airport Arabella Sheraton because of the shuttle (thought it might be free but now see that there is a charge) and because of the proximity to the airport.
Would I be better off to stay both nights at the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central? and just catch a train to the aiport?
How long is the train ride from Central Station to the airport?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by MXS
I have not been to Munich before but am looking at staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central. This hotel appears to be really close to the Central Station.
The next night I was going to stay at the Munich Airport Arabella Sheraton because of the shuttle (thought it might be free but now see that there is a charge) and because of the proximity to the airport.
Would I be better off to stay both nights at the Four Points by Sheraton Munich Central? and just catch a train to the aiport?
I would stay downtown. Train goes every 10 minutes, travel time is about 45 minutes.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP
Originally Posted by MXS

Would also strongly recommend to stay downtown - Airport Sheraton is really in no-man's land, nothing to see or do whereas Munich itself has got everything on offer.
FP Central is good albeit basic hotel, don't expect luxury here, just a good price/quality hotel. Budget allowing, you might want to go for LM ... that one is right across the railway station (FP is 15min walk), and really great
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I would go out of my way to avoid the FP Central. I stayed there once and found it a rather dodgy property on the seedy side of the station. Getting cabs to/from the station was an issue as well, as most drivers refused the €5 journey. Walking to the hotel from the station, especially at night, wasn't pleasant. And it's the only Starwood hotel I've ever seen where people were exchanging needles etc virtually outside the front door. YMMV.

I would definitely consider the other 4 SPG properties as significantly better than the 4P. And rates at the Westpark, usually, are not too much more than the 4P.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon
I would go out of my way to avoid the FP Central. I stayed there once and found it a rather dodgy property on the seedy side of the station. Getting cabs to/from the station was an issue as well, as most drivers refused the €5 journey. Walking to the hotel from the station, especially at night, wasn't pleasant. And it's the only Starwood hotel I've ever seen where people were exchanging needles etc virtually outside the front door. YMMV.

I would definitely consider the other 4 SPG properties as significantly better than the 4P. And rates at the Westpark, usually, are not too much more than the 4P.

I would also recommend the Westpark - great upgrades (large suite every time), pleasant staff, reasonable lounge including breakfast and very convenient for public transport - U-Bahn, S-Bahn and busses outside the door. If you try hard you can nearly always get a BRG there - I think I'm at nearly 100%. PM for details if you need it....
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by KittyCat
FP Central is good albeit basic hotel, don't expect luxury here, just a good price/quality hotel. Budget allowing, you might want to go for LM ... that one is right across the railway station (FP is 15min walk), and really great
Just to clarify... So if I took the S-Bahn Line S8 or S1 from the airport to the city centre, would it stop across the street from LM?

Thank you.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
Just to clarify... So if I took the S-Bahn Line S8 or S1 from the airport to the city centre, would it stop across the street from LM?

Thank you.
Yes. It will stop across the street on subway level. You follow the signs to the mainline station and the exit "Bayerstraße". If you are on the level of the main line station and look into the direction of the tracks, the hotel is at the left hand side of the station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.