Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Munich Airport MUC, Munich, Germany, LEAVING SPG 20 Jun '16 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Yes. It will stop across the street on subway level. You follow the signs to the mainline station and the exit "Bayerstraße". If you are on the level of the main line station and look into the direction of the tracks, the hotel is at the left hand side of the station.
Thank you so much for that

I'm now debating if I should just stay at The LM instead of Munich Sheraton Airport. I'm there just for an overnight connection. I get in at 8PM and leve at 11AM the following morning...

My Cash & Points rate at Sheraton airport is still showing $40USD and not $30USD. The reservations manager has still not contacted me. So I'm not impressed at the moment.

I figure the 8EUR they charge for the shuttle, I might as-well use that for the train to the city centre. Do you happen to know the cost per person each way to the city centre using the train?

Thanks again for all the info.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imverge
I figure the 8EUR they charge for the shuttle, I might as-well use that for the train to the city centre. Do you happen to know the cost per person each way to the city centre using the train?
Full price is 8.80EUR for a oneway.
A day ticket (valid until 6AM the next day) is 10EUR for one person or 18EUR for up to five adults.

Link: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/f...ces/index.html
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by imverge
Thank you so much for that

I'm now debating if I should just stay at The LM instead of Munich Sheraton Airport. I'm there just for an overnight connection. I get in at 8PM and leve at 11AM the following morning....
Seriously: You will be on Canadian time on arrival. So 8 pm will feel like 2 pm. Taking the S-Bahn downtown will allow you to stroll from the LM to Stachus and further to Marienplatz, have a nice local dinner at one of the beerhalls (avoide Hofbräuhaus) and go to bed late. At the Airport Sheraton you are just in the middle of nowhere.

Next Friday I will do it exactly the same way in Toronto. I will fly in from Montreal, stay a night at the LM, will go up CN tower the next morning and fly back to London in the afternoon.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:33 pm

Seriously: You will be on Canadian time on arrival. So 8 pm will feel like 2 pm. Taking the S-Bahn downtown will allow you to stroll from the LM to Stachus and further to Marienplatz, have a nice local dinner at one of the beerhalls (avoide Hofbräuhaus) and go to bed late. At the Airport Sheraton you are just in the middle of nowhere.

Next Friday I will do it exactly the same way in Toronto. I will fly in from Montreal, stay a night at the LM, will go up CN tower the next morning and fly back to London in the afternoon.
I will be returning to Canada from Spain. But I would like to have a nice dinner and take a walk around the city. So your suggestion sounds good and besides no one from The Munich Sheraton ever contacted me after-all.

Enjoy your trip to Toronto and your visit to The CN Tower. If you don't have any luggage with you you can take public transport (TTC) $2.75 to downtown Toronto vs. ($50 by taxi) Just catch the "192 AIRPORT EXPRESS BUS" It runs every 10 min and it will take you to "Kipling" subway station and then take the subway west to YONGE/BLOOR and then transfer to the south train and get off at Union Station. The entire trip should be 45-60 min total. When you exit at Union Station you will see the signs directing you to The CN Tower. Here is some info on The TTC The Toronto Transit Commission:

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/

If you need anything else just send me a PM
Old Feb 20, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Sheraton Munich (Airport) - Shuttle.

I was just reviewing my reservation for the Airport Sheraton in Munich this weekend and I noticed that it mentions that the airport shuttle is EUR 8.

Given that I'm used to hotel airport shuttles being free (perhaps that is just an American thing), and that an all-day all-zone ticket on public transportation is only EUR 10, and the hotel looks like it is next to the airport, This seems to be quite a high price. Given that my room rate is EUR 80, a trip in each direction adds 20% to my cost (not counting gratuity).

Is there a more economical way to get between the airport (or anywhere on the S-bahn) and this hotel?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are certainly not free shuttles to the Hauptbahnhof. And: The Hauptbahnhof will not bring you to this hotel.

And yes: There is a more economical way. If there are at least two of you ore two waiting at the shuttle stop, take a taxi. This will be around 10 Euro.

And: You do not need to tip a shuttle driver in Germany. They get a nice perk called monthly salery.

BTW: Would you be more happy if your roomrate were 96 Euro incl. a "free shuttle". It is a legend that any hotel provides for a free shuttle. As somebody has to pay for it you either pay it directly or via the room rate. I prefer to pay it directly as this gives me a choice.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:40 pm

There are certainly not free shuttles to the Hauptbahnhof. And: The Hauptbahnhof will not bring you to this hotel.
To clear up any confusion: I don't want a free ride to/from the Hbf. It is between the airport (or any S-bahn station).

And yes: There is a more economical way. If there are at least two of you ore two waiting at the shuttle stop, take a taxi. This will be around 10 Euro.
That helps a bit. I'm thinking about just walking. It has to be less than 2 miles. Although I am not sure if it is pedestrian friendly.

BTW: Would you be more happy if your roomrate were 96 Euro incl. a "free shuttle". It is a legend that any hotel provides for a free shuttle. As somebody has to pay for it you either pay it directly or via the room rate. I prefer to pay it directly as this gives me a choice.
Yes for two reasons:

1) I very likely would have chosen a different Sheraton if the rate was EUR96
2) If I did choose to stay here I could make additional trips for free (perhaps an additional one at night to get my BP and another early in the morning to check on upgrades). Now each of those excursions has a price tag of EUR16.

By the way I'm not planning on swimming. Could we make the pool fee based and cut my room rate?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VPescado
To clear up any confusion: I don't want a free ride to/from the Hbf. It is between the airport (or any S-bahn station).

That helps a bit. I'm thinking about just walking. It has to be less than 2 miles. Although I am not sure if it is pedestrian friendly.

Yes for two reasons:

1) I very likely would have chosen a different Sheraton if the rate was EUR96
2) If I did choose to stay here I could make additional trips for free (perhaps an additional one at night to get my BP and another early in the morning to check on upgrades). Now each of those excursions has a price tag of EUR16.

By the way I'm not planning on swimming. Could we make the pool fee based and cut my room rate?
You might be able to walk, but it's a fairly decent walk, not too pedestrian friendly, and may be cold this time of year. FWIW, even though the quoted rate for the shuttle is €8 per person per direction, we weren't charged extra for a second person, and they never even billed us for one trip - had to mention it when I was checking out.

The hotel is sadly not a great value if you wish to travel back and forth to downtown Munich with frequency given the 8 euro one-ways - at least from the Kempinski you can just hop the S-bahn.

That said, the rooms are nice, the staff friendly/cordial, and I don't recally any airplane noise with the windows closed.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:07 pm
Yub

I stayed there two months ago. I was trying to get something closer to central Munich but all the SPG properties in town were full. I was in Munich for only 24 hours so I bit the bullet and took the hotel shuttle rather than trying to use the bus.

Walking didn't appear to be a reasonable option to me. My guess is that it is about 5-7 kilometers from the airport terminal to the hotel as the road exits the terminal on the north side and comes around on the east side. IIRC, it is not pedestrian-friendly as there were no sidewalks on the airport road. I think part of the roadway was also elevated with little or no shoulder and a concrete barrier, so you'd be walking in traffic lanes. The are no train stations near this hotel. Looking at the Munich MVV website, it looks like bus line 512 runs from the airport right by the hotel.

The hotel was nice and I was upgraded to a junior suite. Internet access is not free -- €17-€18 for 24 hours.

Last edited by Yub; Feb 20, 2008 at 8:13 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Anyone who decides to walk from the airport in MUC to the Sheraton there is either stark raving mad, incredibly cheap or both of the above.....8 EUR or not.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Anyone who decides to walk from the airport in MUC to the Sheraton there is either stark raving mad, incredibly cheap or both of the above.....8 EUR or not.
What's your point?
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VPescado
What's your point?
His point appears to be that it is simply not realistic to consider walking from the airport to the airport sheraton and I agree. Without a GPS I would not even know how to make my way....
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
any recent stays at this hotel?

how do they treat Platinums.
I have booked an exec room.
also how much is the taxi now?
I am only ther from 7 pm till 7am so city wasnt really an option for me.
but dont want to wait around for a shuttle. are they regular? or do you have to call when u arrive?

any help appreciated
Old Apr 2, 2010, 8:46 am

We stayed at the Sheraton by the airport last year. It is in the middle of nowhere (nothing around), there is no SPG lounge, the bar closed early (before 11), and as a plat we got a corner room and a bottle ofwater. It is nowhere near the quality of other Sheratons in Europe. I agree that you have to be mad to walk from the airport to the hotel - there are no sidewalks, there is lots of traffic, and it is quite a distance.
What I would recommend is staying near downtown (e.g. Westin Arabella is good) and catching the train from there to the airport. Everyone does it (including us the second time around) - it is fast and cheap. I would not stay at the airport again.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruiser9999
We stayed at the Sheraton by the airport last year. It is in the middle of nowhere (nothing around), there is no SPG lounge, the bar closed early (before 11), and as a plat we got a corner room and a bottle ofwater. It is nowhere near the quality of other Sheratons in Europe. I agree that you have to be mad to walk from the airport to the hotel - there are no sidewalks, there is lots of traffic, and it is quite a distance.
What I would recommend is staying near downtown (e.g. Westin Arabella is good) and catching the train from there to the airport. Everyone does it (including us the second time around) - it is fast and cheap. I would not stay at the airport again.
I agree to everything regarding the location. The hotel is quire nice (it is small but certainly a better kind of airport hotel). The Westin Grand (the former Sheraton Arabella) would be a mad location for an overnight. You need to change at least once when coming from the airport and there is not an aweful lot in walking distance around this hotel. You can certainly do the LM downtown, which is 40 minutes by very frequent train from the airport and which is in the middle of the action.

Taxi is about 12 Euro, so not too much to write home about either. Shuttle is to my recollection every 30 minutes but when comparing the taxi costs with shuttle costs I am enclined to use a taxi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.