Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100+ nights, now what?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Canada101
Totally agree which is why I am in the process of looking at a Hilton challenge. Upstate New York, for example, is an Starwood wasteland (nothing in Rochester, Albany, etc). I've got a trip to Maine coming up and there again, the closest Starwood is 45 mins from where I need to be. The loss of the Westin Diplomat in Ft Lauderdale is a pretty big hole for me.

Anyway -- thanks for all the advice. I think diversification is what I'll be pursuing albeit not too eagerly. If Starwood found a way to recognize members who stay reach 125 and/or 150 nights, that would be enough for me to stay past 100 nights. As it stands, diversification is a good, solid alternative.
It isn't going to hurt your SPG status to go for a Hilton Diamond challenge, as you'll have no problem maintaining SPG Plat.
Here are some links on the Hilton challenge:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/05/18/h...e-2015-update/
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/hote...lans-for-2015/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...enges-etc.html

I think that going for Hilton Diamond status will be a good use of your additional nights, if for no other reason to be able to go back to the old Westin Diplomat (that's a nice hotel; I hated to see it go to Hilton). http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/e...HQQ/index.html
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It isn't going to hurt your SPG status to go for a Hilton Diamond challenge, as you'll have no problem maintaining SPG Plat.
Here are some links on the Hilton challenge:
http://loyaltylobby.com/2015/05/18/h...e-2015-update/
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/hote...lans-for-2015/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...enges-etc.html

I think that going for Hilton Diamond status will be a good use of your additional nights, if for no other reason to be able to go back to the old Westin Diplomat (that's a nice hotel; I hated to see it go to Hilton). http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/e...HQQ/index.html
Thanks so much for these links. I really appreciate you taking the time.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Thanks so much for these links. I really appreciate you taking the time.
No worries.

I think that SPG has a superior product to Hilton, but there's immense value in having additional options when travelling. And there are some very nice hotels within the Hilton brand.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:56 pm

So it's my 3rd year in a row hitting 100+ nights and am happy with my Ambassador. I'm a pretty low maintenance guest since most of my travel is alone and I only really hope for upgrades when I'm with family (15-20% of my total nights).

I'm already at 124 nights this year (sad, I know) and I've got more nights left for the balance of 2015. I thought about diversifying to another program but the two properties I normally use treat me so well that I am pretty beholden. I will likely easily hit 150+ nights this year (last year I finished with 128 nights). 90% of my nights are regular paid stays.

Any others in the same boat?
I had a chance to be in the same boat but turned it down. Not with kids in the family, no way I'm staying 150+ nights away from home.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I just lived the "why start out life at the bottom of the ladder" experience and it's certainly given me some perspective.

I'm in the middle of a Hilton status challenge and stayed at a Hilton property in Maine. It was a lovely property and there was no convenient SPG alternative so I felt quite good about the decision and the fact that the stay would get me closer to status with Hilton. It all came apart when I made a simple request for a 2-3 hour late check out.

The property has an unreasonably early check out time of 11:00AM. At check-in, I very nicely asked the associate at check-in if I could possibly keep my room until 130PM or so to allow me to change after lunch to more comfortable clothes for the drive out of town. The associate at check-in said that it "shouldn't be a problem" as they weren't showing as full for the following night but that she couldn't confirm anything until the morning staff could check with housekeeping to ensure that they could plan on getting to the room after I checked out. Knowing enough about how properties are managed, I didn't think it was an unreasonable request.

The next morning came and I called the front desk to inquire about the 130PM checkout and the associate who answered the phone acknowledged that there was, in fact, an email about my request and they would get back to me very shortly after they had spoken to housekeeping. All good. Then, after about 5 minutes, the phone rings and the associate said that they could definitely extend a 130PM check out for me but they would "have to charge me the half day rate".

I declined and ended up making the drive in a suit which wasn't what I had wanted but, alas, what I ended up doing. And I've just cancelled 7 stays at Hilton properties between now and the middle of November.

My Hilton Honors adventure has ended early and they have lost what potentially could have amounted to 40-50 room nights a year (after I achieved PLT100). I found the attempt to charge me $50+ for an extra 2.5 hours distasteful especially since I paid a published, non-advance purchase rate. I checked in well beyond the published check-in time (3PM) and was told clearly by the front desk that they wouldn't be full.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just lived the "why start out life at the bottom of the ladder" experience and it's certainly given me some perspective.

I'm in the middle of a Hilton status challenge and stayed at a Hilton property in Maine. It was a lovely property and there was no convenient SPG alternative so I felt quite good about the decision and the fact that the stay would get me closer to status with Hilton. It all came apart when I made a simple request for a 2-3 hour late check out.

The property has an unreasonably early check out time of 11:00AM. At check-in, I very nicely asked the associate at check-in if I could possibly keep my room until 130PM or so to allow me to change after lunch to more comfortable clothes for the drive out of town. The associate at check-in said that it "shouldn't be a problem" as they weren't showing as full for the following night but that she couldn't confirm anything until the morning staff could check with housekeeping to ensure that they could plan on getting to the room after I checked out. Knowing enough about how properties are managed, I didn't think it was an unreasonable request.

The next morning came and I called the front desk to inquire about the 130PM checkout and the associate who answered the phone acknowledged that there was, in fact, an email about my request and they would get back to me very shortly after they had spoken to housekeeping. All good. Then, after about 5 minutes, the phone rings and the associate said that they could definitely extend a 130PM check out for me but they would "have to charge me the half day rate".

I declined and ended up making the drive in a suit which wasn't what I had wanted but, alas, what I ended up doing. And I've just cancelled 7 stays at Hilton properties between now and the middle of November.

My Hilton Honors adventure has ended early and they have lost what potentially could have amounted to 40-50 room nights a year (after I achieved PLT100). I found the attempt to charge me $50+ for an extra 2.5 hours distasteful especially since I paid a published, non-advance purchase rate. I checked in well beyond the published check-in time (3PM) and was told clearly by the front desk that they wouldn't be full.
I know you're pissed but removing a whole chain due to one poor hotel experience? I have poor Starwood stays too - i don't write off Starwood - i write off that hotel. Now if the problems are systemic at a chain level that's another matter. I just hit Diamond (same reason as others here - no offer beyond Plat 100) and I've had many lovely stays at Hilton. Some better than others. Seems a very high bar if you're leaving a chain due to one isolated hotel issue.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Seems a very high bar if you're leaving a chain due to one isolated hotel issue.
I agree it is a high bar but I was more making the point that after investing my time and effort earning Plat100, I really don't want to bother starting at the bottom of the ladder and this experience with a Hilton property proved that to me. Since I have an alternative (being treated as a status holder with SPG), I really didn't feel the need to endure poor treatment (without any real recourse) just for the sake of "diversification". I was quite eager to diversify to have the back-up option when Starwood wasn't available but perhaps just don't have the patience to deal with the little stupidities when traveling.

I wholeheartedly agree that Starwood isn't perfect but, for me, on the exceedingly rare times when things go awry, having status at least gives me a shot at setting things right. Again -- I'm simply stating that since I do have status at SPG, chasing status at Hilton just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:18 pm

Canada101, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Sounds like the particular hotel you were at was being unreasonable.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I agree it is a high bar but I was more making the point that after investing my time and effort earning Plat100, I really don't want to bother starting at the bottom of the ladder and this experience with a Hilton property proved that to me. Since I have an alternative (being treated as a status holder with SPG), I really didn't feel the need to endure poor treatment (without any real recourse) just for the sake of "diversification". I was quite eager to diversify to have the back-up option when Starwood wasn't available but perhaps just don't have the patience to deal with the little stupidities when traveling.

I wholeheartedly agree that Starwood isn't perfect but, for me, on the exceedingly rare times when things go awry, having status at least gives me a shot at setting things right. Again -- I'm simply stating that since I do have status at SPG, chasing status at Hilton just doesn't seem worth it to me.
I understand. I was hesitant too. What I did to assist was get the Citi Hilton Reserve card which started me at Gold level even with 0 stays. This way as I worked to attain Diamond I didn't start at the bottom. Food for thought.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

I did to assist was get the Citi Hilton Reserve card which started me at Gold level even with 0 stays.
Great suggestion. I'll look into this card if I get back to Hilton (it will depend on whether my travel takes me to SPG-free cities though).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:04 pm

I understand. I was hesitant too. What I did to assist was get the Citi Hilton Reserve card which started me at Gold level even with 0 stays. This way as I worked to attain Diamond I didn't start at the bottom. Food for thought.
He's a Canuck. Do any of Hilton's cards give Gold status for non-US citizens?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Talking

He's a Canuck. Do any of Hilton's cards give Gold status for non-US citizens?
Dual citizen so works for me!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:39 pm

Dual citizen so works for me!
^ I went off the name and location. If you've got a US address, you can go for either the Citi or AmEx cards that give you instant Gold. Both have an annual fee. http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...rds/index.html

Gold's been the sweet spot in the HHonors program but they've been reducing benefits so it's getting better to be Diamond.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:31 am
Original Poster

^ I went off the name and location. If you've got a US address, you can go for either the Citi or AmEx cards that give you instant Gold. Both have an annual fee. http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...rds/index.html

Gold's been the sweet spot in the HHonors program but they've been reducing benefits so it's getting better to be Diamond.
Thanks! Need to update location. Will definitely pursue this when I pursue Hilton status. Much better idea than starting out from zero.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:16 am

Thanks! Need to update location. Will definitely pursue this when I pursue Hilton status. Much better idea than starting out from zero.
NEVER start from zero. At least get a status challenge/match. Unfortunately, it sounds like Hilton doesn't extend any benefits while you're meeting the challenge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.