Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotels - new designation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Starwood has been sensibly weeding the confusing "Sheraton" name out of the LC for the past few years
While keeping it in the equally confusing Four Points by Sheraton brand name.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
According to the link dw posted, SGS will still be an LC property. AND be part of this new grouping. To me that doesn't suggest a new brand so much as it does some other sort of grouping. But I have absolutely no idea what it means or what the strategy is.
Sukhumvit is still an LC hotel for now, but the brand/designation/grouping was only announced today. I wouldn't be shocked to see it move.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG
This upper-level echelon within the Sheraton brand used to exist before Starwood bought the company--it was called Sheraton Hotel & Towers.

Towers properties were a notch above regular Sheratons, better situated and with more features and anenities, such as top restaurants, conference centers or spas.

Some of the new Sheraton Grands were indeed Sheraton Towers before this moniker was discontinued by Starwood.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the first principle of branding in marketing that brands should be defined in a way to avoid confusing consumers about your brand identity?

There are still some Sheraton Towers, although they now have "and" in their titles and tend to be the hotel within a hotel model. They're not especially good; think of Hong Kong, for example.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FozBoy
This upper-level echelon within the Sheraton brand used to exist before Starwood bought the company--it was called Sheraton Hotel & Towers.

Towers properties were a notch above regular Sheratons, better situated and with more features and anenities, such as top restaurants, conference centers or spas.

Some of the new Sheraton Grands were indeed Sheraton Towers before this moniker was discontinued by Starwood.
Very true, they were somewhat similar in that they were "top of the line" Sheratons, but the "Towers" were a hotel-within-a-hotel, with their own clubs and such. Most Sheratons in big cities used to have a "Towers" component.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the first principle of branding in marketing that brands should be defined in a way to avoid confusing consumers about your brand identity?

There are still some Sheraton Towers, although they now have "and" in their titles and tend to be the hotel within a hotel model. They're not especially good; think of Hong Kong, for example.
That's what they all were, it was always "Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers", "Sheraton Cairo Hotel & Towers", etc. The only exception was Singapore, where they tried building a standalone "Sheraton Towers Singapore" hotel in the mid 1980s. They never built another one, so the idea must not have worked, but that one remains under that name.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The NYC version was a horrid hotel. Not a notch above, top of the line or upper echelon.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've only stayed at the Asian ones, and really, the only reasonably "Grand" one is SGS, which is part of the Luxury Collection, so it makes little sense to be included in this grouping of wannabe upper-upscale Sheratons. Tokyo Bay is old and run-down, Walkerhill is in an atrocious location with lots of horrible rooms, and Taipei is overrun by tour groups and feels like a soulless block of concrete (leaving aside its good Plat recognition). Miyazaki of course is in a league of its own, a truly grand testament to the excesses of bubble-era Japan, the tallest building between Hiroshima and Taipei, and part of the gigantomaniac (and now mostly defunct) Seagaia project. I can see how you might call these hotels a notch above the really crappy Asian Sheratons (say, Yokohama and Hanoi), but IMO there's minimal difference between these "Grand(e)" properties and the Sheratons in Kuala Lumpur, Saigon, or even the (much maligned) Singapore or HK properties.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sheraton Park Lane (London) were to become LC when its renovations are finished.
I used to love the Park Lane, stayed there for about 10 yrs straight before I noticed a significant decline in the rooms and service. Hopefully the ventilation system and rooms are fully redone, and they improve their declining customer service.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:28 am

Does the Sheraton Grand count as free lounge privilege with the SPG biz card?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
There's also one in Berlin. Of course those two are simply Sheratons that happen to have the word "Grand" in their names, but then some of the others in the new label appear to be the same thing. They only actually renamed three hotels - Bangalore, Beijing and Rio.
True. The one in Berlin is not a SHERATON GRAND but a SHERATON GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE. It was always called GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE and they added the Sheraton when Starwood took over.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I'm guessing Sheraton Grand is similar to the marketing moniker as Grand Hyatt (compared to Hyatt Regency). Bigger/magnificent lobby space, in key destinations, with more rooms than a typical chain hotel. Otherwise everything else is equal.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:34 am

Programs: LH/*A Gold, BA/OW Emerald, EK Silver, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I would not have used "Grand"... There are many "Grand Hotels" in Europe which are really old and bad...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I'm guessing Sheraton Grand is similar to the marketing moniker as Grand Hyatt (compared to Hyatt Regency). Bigger/magnificent lobby space, in key destinations, with more rooms than a typical chain hotel. Otherwise everything else is equal.
IME Grand lounges are better than Regency.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:29 pm

The only exception was Singapore, where they tried building a standalone "Sheraton Towers Singapore" hotel in the mid 1980s. They never built another one, so the idea must not have worked, but that one remains under that name.
Another case of an unsually named Sheraton in Singapore was the Century Park Sheraton, which eventually became the ANA Hotel which was then demolished to make way for a condo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.