All belongings removed from room

Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by davidw70

I spoke to the GM this morning who seemed genuinely shocked at what had happened and promised a full review.
Sounds like another bogus, "we'll review and thanks for your feedback!".

I personally hate people running through my goods! 2 hours is so little time, it sounds too fishy.

OP What explanation did they give you while you were there? I'm sure that many people that some excuses.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:59 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Let us know what kind of comp you get
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wow, I hope you get a good explanation for this, OP.

My wild guess is that some other guest requested that his/her belongings be packed up and moved our of the room (such as if the guest suddenly had to leave the hotel and the city due to an emergency???) and that you or your room were somehow mistaken for that guest and room in the process. But I admit that's a pretty wild guess.
I have a feeling this might be correct. The explanations provided at the time were very vague, but it was mentioned there had been a mix-up with someone with a similar name.

To answer another question - there was no butler service at this hotel
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Personally I would be one pissed off customer if someone did this to me. Opened the safe and checked me out when I had a reservation?!!? I mean your stuff was unpacked. Clearly you were staying there. So what if you hadn't been in the room for a while (i know in your instance you had been) but so what if you hadn't?!? I mean, let the people ignore the DND sign and come in to make sure you're not dead, I get that. But if you're paying for the room and you're not in it but your stuff is, I don't see why it should be packed up. I'm actually pissed now and it didn't even happen to me! Just the thought gets me angry.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I would be super pissed off too if it happened to me especially if it is a leisure trip but it could be an isolated case. To be fair to the hotel, lets wait for the hotel explanation before we punish the act.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:01 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by davidw70
Good theory, but I was only out of the room for 2 hours...
At what point in the day was the room cleared ?

I had the same happen to me at a Starwood European hotel when I had 2 consecutive but separate 1-night reservations. Despite being reminded at checkin to combine the stays they didn't, so thought I should have departed after the first night, and cleared my room.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jpdx
I had this happen at IC Singapore a few years ago. Had RA late checkout and when I returned to the room at 3.30pm, all my stuff was gone and the room was ready for another guest ... strangely, my keycard still worked (per the agreed 4pm checkout time). Like in the OP's case, nothing was missing, but having a stranger pack up all your stuff feels very violating. Of course this being the IC Singapore, no explanation or real apology ever came forth.
i too had a similar experience at the ic singapore a few years ago....had a 4pm late checkout as an ra....i left for my meeting around 10am & got back to my room around 3pm but my key wouldn't work....i went to the front desk, got it reprogrammed & went back to my room....when i entered i noticed my bags & stuff was missing but another guest's items were in the room....i went back to the front desk for an explanation & it turned out that they had checked me out, moved all my stuff to storage & checked in another guest to my room....nothing was missing as i had already packed most of my stuff before leaving in the morning but i got no real apology from them....that was the last time i ever stayed there....
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
At what point in the day was the room cleared ?

I had the same happen to me at a Starwood European hotel when I had 2 consecutive but separate 1-night reservations. Despite being reminded at checkin to combine the stays they didn't, so thought I should have departed after the first night, and cleared my room.
At some point between 2pm and 4pm. Reception initially suggested I had two separate reservations (which I did not).

It is interesting to hear this is not an isolated case...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Apology from the GM and the case is closed.

Maybe, they should throw in some Starpoints, but it was obviously a mistake and they were simply confused about two rooms with a guest having the same name.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FD1971
Apology from the GM and the case is closed.

Maybe, they should throw in some Starpoints, but it was obviously a mistake and they were simply confused about two rooms with a guest having the same name.
Maybe you think that an apology is enough here, but I don't. IME this was a real violation and the hotel should have been much more careful. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if this had happened to me, starting with entering "my" room and seeing that it was occupied by another guest with no sign of my belongings.

OH, YOU'RE NOT THE OP HERE, SO WHY IS IT UP TO YOU TO DETERMINE THAT SOME MINIMAL APOLOGY FROM THE GM IS SUFFICIENT? HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT WAS *OBVIOUSLY* A MISTAKE OR DUE TO ANOTHER GUEST WITH THE SAME NAME? For all you know, the OP has an extremely distinctive name.

I think it's time for the OP to name and shame the hotel.

This incident reminded me of a time at a conference center on my day of departure which was also a day when the place needed to "turn over" almost all of their rooms. I had organized my belongings for packing by sorting things into piles on the bed. [This was part of a long and complex itinerary and I wanted to put some minimal needed things into a small carryon piece in case my checked bag got lost or delayed.] Then I went to breakfast, planning to finish packing quickly after breakfast and immediately move toward the airport, still well before check out time. I was shocked when I returned from breakfast to discover that--despite my do not disturb sign on the door--the housekeeper had come into the room, put everything from the bed into a heap on the floor, and proceeded to change the bed for the next guest. I absolutely had a fit, complained bitterly (they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the housekeeper's actions because "no one was in the room and we needed to prepare the it for the next guest" despite this being several hours before the stated check out time), and got a bit of revenge by taking the time to mess up the newly made bed before leaving and toss every one of the fresh towels (that had been put in place for the next occupant) into the shower and turn the water on long enough to soak them thoroughly. In the years since, I have adamantly refused to consider going back to that conference center. The attitude that it was fine for the maid to do what she did because all of the rooms needed to be cleaned that day still bothers me.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 11, 2015 at 5:38 am
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe you think that an apology is enough here, but I don't. IME this was a real violation and the hotel should have been much more careful. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if this had happened to me, starting with entering "my" room and seeing that it was occupied by another guest with no sign of my belongings.

OH, YOU'RE NOT THE OP HERE, SO WHY IS IT UP TO YOU TO DETERMINE THAT SOME MINIMAL APOLOGY FROM THE GM IS SUFFICIENT? HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT IT WAS *OBVIOUSLY* A MISTAKE OR DUE TO ANOTHER GUEST WITH THE SAME NAME? For all you know, the OP has an extremely distinctive name.

I think it's time for the OP to name and shame the hotel.
Are you trying to make up a story here?

The OP never entered a room that was occupied by a stranger (which is impossible without recoding the key)

The OP left his hotel room and when he returned, somebody had packed his belongings.

Let's hope it is not a St.Regis, by the way

So why do we need to name and shame the hotel?

BTW, what is a 'real violation' ?

Is the GM going to jail for this 'real violation' ?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'd request a bottle of champagne and the amount of points for one night at the same category hotel.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:32 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I can't imagine how upset I would have been if this had happened to me, starting with entering "my" room and seeing that it was occupied by another guest with no sign of my belongings.
^ ^ ^

I would like to know the name of this hotel too. Because I would never want to stay here. Ever. Given some of the "issues" we read on this forum, IMHO, this is one of the most serious and a violation of personal privacy. Seriously - emptying in-room safe contents without the presence of the guest!?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed

.... I absolutely had a fit, complained bitterly (they didn't think that there was anything wrong with the housekeeper's actions because "no one was in the room and we needed to prepare the it for the next guest" despite this being several hours before the stated check out time), and got a bit of revenge by taking the time to mess up the newly made bed before leaving and toss every one of the fresh towels (that had been put in place for the next occupant) into the shower and turn the water on long enough to soak them thoroughly. In the years since, I have adamantly refused to consider going back to that conference center. The attitude that it was fine for the maid to do what she did because all of the rooms needed to be cleaned that day still bothers me.
Nice! ^
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Request 50,000 Starpoints, IMO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.